Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

I am worried about trading a starter and having someone get injured and having to endure McFarland every fifth day and what if Jiminez seems just as lost as last year. Unless we can get a ML almost ready starter back in the deal with some options. Do any of our SP have options? I say keep six and let one go down to AAA.

I'd rather the sixth hang out in the pen as the long man then go to Norfolk.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am worried about trading a starter and having someone get injured and having to endure McFarland every fifth day and what if Jiminez seems just as lost as last year. Unless we can get a ML almost ready starter back in the deal with some options. Do any of our SP have options? I say keep six and let one go down to AAA.

Gonzo and Gausman have options but neither is going to AAA for any length of time. Jimenez probably starts the year in the pen because he is terrible in April. Then in May the starter that is pitching the worst goes to the pen so Jimenez can raise his trade value.

Gonzo and Gausman have options but neither is going to AAA for any length of time. Jimenez probably starts the year in the pen because he is terrible in April. Then in May the starter that is pitching the worst goes to the pen so Jimenez can raise his trade value.

I think they are more worried about winning then they are trading Jimenez.

If Jimenez continues to improve with the simplified delivery, I will expect very good things from him

I am perfectly happy with keeping the 6 starters the O's have through the 2015 season. Having a starter in the pen is a good idea in case of injury. I think Gausman becomes a #1 this year but he has to prove it.

I would not be surprised for Norris to sign a two year contract this off season. Bundy could be up late in the year and his innings will be limited. I do think the O's are headed toward trading Jimenez at some point if they can improve his production. His salary is a drain on the team payroll compared to what he is likely to produce.

I don't know what to think about Wright, Wilson, Davies and Tim Berry. They are probably relievers but its really too early to know.

I am perfectly happy with keeping the 6 starters the O's have through the 2015 season. Having a starter in the pen is a good idea in case of injury. I think Gausman becomes a #1 this year but he has to prove it.

I would not be surprised for Norris to sign a two year contract this off season. Bundy could be up late in the year and his innings will be limited. I do think the O's are headed toward trading Jimenez at some point if they can improve his production. His salary is a drain on the team payroll compared to what he is likely to produce.

I don't know what to think about Wright, Wilson, Davies and Tim Berry. They are probably relievers but its really too early to know.

Why would a team trade for 2.5 years of Jiminez? What would a team really give up for that?

I agree that Gonzo looks to be the odd man out if there is a trade, but what on God's Green Earth makes you think we'd deal him for Andrew Lambo? He's basically a RF version of Ryan Flaherty.
Why trade Gonzo? He is under-rated, supposedly a refugee from the Mexican League, so we wouldn't get a whole lot for him. He has shown his value to the Os and we need to keep him.

I'd be shocked if an un-injured Jimenez doesn't make a start in April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Ubaldo starts the year in the bullpen then how does he stretched out? He doesn't have options, are you going to stretch him out at the major league level and have him make a month worth of starts where he's throwing between 2 to 5 innings?

If Jimenez continues to improve with the simplified delivery, I will expect very good things from him
And if we get very good things from him, then we need to keep him. He still won't have very good trade value because of his horrible 2014 season. If a starter is traded, he needs to be one who already has good past-season numbers and thus has good trade value. I actually don't think that any proven starters i.e. Chen, Norris, or Tillman, need to be traded right now, unless we get a proven, high-OPS position player in exchange, along with a decent prospect.

Why would a team trade for 2.5 years of Jiminez? What would a team really give up for that?

Good pitching is always in demand. Jimenez has to prove he is a good pitcher to get traded. If he does improve his production there will be teams that want him. Good starters are hard to come by.

The O's have many arbitration players that make their payroll raise year over year. Just getting Jimenez salary off the books for a minor leaguer or two would be a gain for the O's if Bundy gets healthy and Norris is extended. I expect this will be the last year for Chen with Boras being his agent.

So if Ubaldo starts the year in the bullpen then how does he stretched out? He doesn't have options, are you going to stretch him out at the major league level and have him make a month worth of starts where he's throwing between 2 to 5 innings?

He would be the long man in the pen and get 4 innings an outing from time to time.

It may be your wish. Odd opinion to have.

What is odd about Buck playing to a players strengths and avoiding his weaknesses?

Ubaldo has a 5.23 career ERA in April. He is over a run better than that is all other months but one. So Buck has six starters. He puts Ubaldo in the pen for a month and then puts him in the rotation in May. When its warmer.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=jimenub01&year=Career&t=p

Archived