Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see why we would want to trade Gonzo. At his salary he is a very valuable piece. Bud makes a lot of sense if we could get a decent propsect or bullpen arm.

I don't see Gonzo getting much value anyway. His FIP is very high since he hes an extreme pitch to contact pitcher so he needs a good defense behind him to be successful... other GMs will know this too, so theres no guarantee he'd do as well with other teams.

This is probably the key storyline this offseason. I would trade Norris to free up payroll. I believe next year is his last year before FA anyway. Roll with a rotation that has Tillman, Gausman, Chen, Jiminez, and Gonzo, with Wright or Wilson as next man up.

I love Norris, but I feel the same way. Only if we get an outstanding return. I'd look at the Cubs. Yes we were fortunate with health this year, but I'd be comfortable with McFarland, Wilson, Wright, Berry getting replacement starts. Also, Bundy may be ready and force his way into the rotation.

I'd look to restock the farm if a trade was made. I'd also dangle Hunter if Miller is resigned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gausman, Tillman, Gonzo, Chen, Norris, Ubanldo is a good starting 6. We also have McFarland, Matus, Johnson, Sanders and Bundy as guys who might make a move up and fill in a starting pitcher role. That is at least 6 canidates who might suddenly look good. I think we are in a position to move one from each of these sets in order to get ONE higher ceiling prospect from some low budget, bottom of their division team. That was the old 1950's NY Yankee method of building a dynasty.

Matusz, Johnson, and Saunders?

Matusz isn't a starter. Saunders isn't even a major league player anymore. And Johnson is injured and likely off the roster, like the other two.

I love Norris, but I feel the same way. Only if we get an outstanding return. I'd look at the Cubs. Yes we were fortunate with health this year, but I'd be comfortable with McFarland, Wilson, Wright, Berry getting replacement starts. Also, Bundy may be ready and force his way into the rotation.

I'd look to restock the farm if a trade was made. I'd also dangle Hunter if Miller is resigned.

Why would the Cubs be interested in Norris? They have plenty of cheap arms that could probably provide similar value. And Norris is a FA after the season.

I would think the Angels are one of the better fits for Norris. Maybe pry a cost effective bullpen arm away.

I'd consider trading Chen. I see the argument for keeping him; he's our only lefty (at the moment) and he's a solid starter. Still, he has three arb years left, which could start getting expensive and I really don't think he's that good. A lefty coming off of 16 wins might get a nice return. I would not trade Gonzo and I don't see how any of Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, or Norris are not in the rotation. And there are MiLB arms on the way...

Why would the Cubs be interested in Norris? They have plenty of cheap arms that could probably provide similar value. And Norris is a FA after the season.

I would think the Angels are one of the better fits for Norris. Maybe pry a cost effective bullpen arm away.

Admiringly, I don't know too much about the Cubs, but outside of Arrieta and Hendricks, does anyone else have a lock on the rotation? They are a team that can increase payroll, and if they want to win, have to remove Jackson from the rotation.

The Angels are a good example too.

I'd keep Gonzo. There is a lot of value on his contract.

Norris I'd probably try to trade. The O's don't/shouldn't need to pay between 7.5 and 8 million dollars for a starter who only gives them a quality start about 40% of the time. That just doesn't seem like enough bang for our back with our payroll.

Ubaldo I'd try to swap bad contracts for, but I don't know what teams are a fit? Maybe Ubaldo for Swisher?

I'd consider trading Chen. I see the argument for keeping him; he's our only lefty (at the moment) and he's a solid starter. Still, he has three arb years left, which could start getting expensive and I really don't think he's that good. A lefty coming off of 16 wins might get a nice return. I would not trade Gonzo and I don't see how any of Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, or Norris are not in the rotation. And there are MiLB arms on the way...

Chen is a free agent at the end of his current deal. I believe that was negotiated into his contract.

I think Chen would be an excellent trade candidate as he is very cheap next year...which also makes him valuable to the Orioles.

Dear Dan,

All I want for Christmas is Ubaldo off the books. I don't care what we get for him, maybe some mediocre single-A arms. If possible, the Yankees would be an outstanding target just in case you were fishing for ideas.

Thanks,

isestrex

Ubaldo looked decent in his last few outings. And he wasn't even that terrible to begin with. Trading him away after one year would also look bad to other FA looking to sign here.

Archived