Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't blame him at all here, and I wish folks would stop blasting him for half a season's mercenary work with the Skankees.

We did not want him back this year, and he had one potential employer interested in him this season. ONE.

It's not a betrayal, it's a man who wanted to work in the job he loves. Seriously, to the "Brian Roberts stabbed us in the back" contingent: What else was he supposed to do if he wanted to play this year? :rolleyestf:

I said that I would wait a year before wearing his shirt again.

Roberts was never going to turn down an extra pay day.

Meh. Roberts had enough left in the tank to give it one more go last winter. Not many players retire until it is glaringly obvious that no major league team really wants them any more. Look at Brady Anderson, or Melvin Mora, or just about anyone else you want to name. I don't think it's fair to view Roberts as some greedy mercenary just because he played baseball for another team when the Orioles didn't want him.

Meh. Roberts had enough left in the tank to give it one more go last winter. Not many players retire until it is glaringly obvious that no major league team really wants them any more. Look at Brady Anderson, or Melvin Mora, or just about anyone else you want to name. I don't think it's fair to view Roberts as some greedy mercenary just because he played baseball for another team when the Orioles didn't want him.

I could care less that he went to the Yankees. In fact, I was happy he went there for two reasons. He wasn't going to play for the Orioles in 2014 and he would for the Yankees! :D Brian Roberts was never going to turn down some money to keep playing. He retired about three years too late, but hey, he made an extra $32 million. Good for him. I'm sure that's how he looks at it as well. "Good for me"

Yes but think about how much extra $$ he brought the O's in revenue when he was the only good player on those losing teams. The O's should be embarrassed of those wasted years.

BR's last $30 mill were really paying him what he was worth when he was underpaid for putting up 4-5 WAR/season.

Yes but think about how much extra $$ he brought the O's in revenue when he was the only good player on those losing teams. The O's should be embarrassed of those wasted years.

BR's last $30 mill were really paying him what he was worth when he was underpaid for putting up 4-5 WAR/season.

Did he bring in any revenue? Beyond osmotic levels? And certainly none during the three years Tony was referring to.

Archived