Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

You can have any opinion of him you like. I'm not trying to convince anyone anything.Sometimes it's better to just enjoy the fan experience from a player. I will say though that anything I've ever said about Roberts I've said while he was an Oriole. I certainly haven't changed my tune because of him signing with the Yankees.

But I will say that as a lifelong Oriole, one who supposedly cared about traditions and the fans, why does he sign with a Division rival at the end of his career for a $2 million pay day? Could you imagine Cal or Brooks or Palmer doing something like that? He made $40 million over four years for 1 WAR of production, partially due to injuries sustained due to his own actions. Although I was happy he signed with the Yankees (due to the fact I knew he was done and not good for the kind of clubhouse Buck likes to have), shouldn't that come into consideration if you think he was a guy who was all about the Orioles and their fans?

Again, I'm fine if you want to be a fan of Brian Roberts, but let's not act like he was a saint who only thought about the Orioles and their fans. Brian Roberts was a good player for the Orioles when a sudden and "unexplained" (who was it explained?) power surge led him to put up six very good seasons. He was good at PR, said the right things in public and was "cute" so he was easily a female fan favorite.

But, when was the last time you heard a player talk about his leadership or help? Who did he make better on the team? Did he get fed up losing, or did he just kind of accept it and allowed his hustle to waver at times? When was the last time you saw Nick Markakis or Adam Jones job down to first base on a fly out? when was the last time they forgot how many outs there were in a game? When was the last time you heard them announce themselves the starter in spring training after missing basically two and half years?

I know it's hard to think your favorite player might not be the guy you thought he was, but I think it's disingenuous to downplay the vast amount of available information that backs up that Roberts may not have always been about the team and fans, but just maybe, about himself first. Again, be a fan of him all you like, but know people are not just making things up about Roberts because he signed with the Yankees (especially since the Orioles showed no interest in resigning him despite having no clear option at 2nd base this past offseason).

He wasn't in Cal or Brooks league. He's more comparable to Markakis IMO.

I remember Adam Jones saying after the year he won MVO, "yeah i had a great year, but just wait till Brob comes back next year and hits leadoff, my stats will be so much better"

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can have any opinion of him you like. I'm not trying to convince anyone anything.Sometimes it's better to just enjoy the fan experience from a player. I will say though that anything I've ever said about Roberts I've said while he was an Oriole. I certainly haven't changed my tune because of him signing with the Yankees.

But I will say that as a lifelong Oriole, one who supposedly cared about traditions and the fans, why does he sign with a Division rival at the end of his career for a $2 million pay day? Could you imagine Cal or Brooks or Palmer doing something like that? He made $40 million over four years for 1 WAR of production, partially due to injuries sustained due to his own actions. Although I was happy he signed with the Yankees (due to the fact I knew he was done and not good for the kind of clubhouse Buck likes to have), shouldn't that come into consideration if you think he was a guy who was all about the Orioles and their fans?

Again, I'm fine if you want to be a fan of Brian Roberts, but let's not act like he was a saint who only thought about the Orioles and their fans. Brian Roberts was a good player for the Orioles when a sudden and "unexplained" (who was it explained?) power surge led him to put up six very good seasons. He was good at PR, said the right things in public and was "cute" so he was easily a female fan favorite.

But, when was the last time you heard a player talk about his leadership or help? Who did he make better on the team? Did he get fed up losing, or did he just kind of accept it and allowed his hustle to waver at times? When was the last time you saw Nick Markakis or Adam Jones job down to first base on a fly out? when was the last time they forgot how many outs there were in a game? When was the last time you heard them announce themselves the starter in spring training after missing basically two and half years?

I know it's hard to think your favorite player might not be the guy you thought he was, but I think it's disingenuous to downplay the vast amount of available information that backs up that Roberts may not have always been about the team and fans, but just maybe, about himself first. Again, be a fan of him all you like, but know people are not just making things up about Roberts because he signed with the Yankees (especially since the Orioles showed no interest in resigning him despite having no clear option at 2nd base this past offseason).

First, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I only liked Brian because he's cute and I'm a woman. It certainly didn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes, but make no mistake - I'm a baseball fan first and foremost. I appreciate good players regardless of their looks, I promise. Perhaps I read your comment wrong, so if I did I apologize.

Second, I actually wouldn't even classify him as my favorite player. I just enjoyed watching him play. I don't remember ever thinking he didn't hustle or didn't care. He was one of the few bright spots in a decade full of misery. Not every guy is going to have leadership ability. And I think it's a nice thought but probably not realistic to think that a guy who plays on bad, bad teams for years and years is going to hustle every single time out of the box on a lazy fly ball to right.

Third, if he wanted to play another year, and the O's didn't want to sign him but the Yankees did, he was supposed to say no? I can't think of many people who would do that. Make hay while the sun shines, isn't that the saying? $2 million is $2 million, I don't care how rich you already are. Most people want as much as they can get! Isn't that the American way? Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, my main point is that I never heard a bad thing about the guy in all the years he played here (except for the steroid thing, which was disappointing), but after he signed with the Yankees, all of the sudden he was a bad teammate who never hustled. True or not, it's disappointing to hear for a lot of reasons.

Well, as to the last point, since neither Markakis nor Jones has ever missed two and a half years, it's kind of a moot point, no? I don't recall exactly what BRob said, but I think it was pretty clear to everyone in the spring of 2013 that if BRob was healthy, he's be the starting 2B over Flaherty or Casilla.

On the hustle issue, I've always thought BRob's detractors overblew this. It's a matter of opinion, though, and I'm not going to argue with those who feel otherwise.

I can't speak to who felt Roberts helped them or not. He certainly looked to me like he was trying to help during the 2012 stretch run, when he'd often be seated right next to Buck and speaking with him about whatever was going on. I seem to recall Markakis saying nice things about BRob when he was a younger player. That's all I got. Most of the players on the team now didn't have a lot of exposure to Roberts.

Well, as to the last point, since neither Markakis nor Jones has ever missed two and a half years, it's kind of a moot point, no? I don't recall exactly what BRob said, but I think it was pretty clear to everyone in the spring of 2013 that if BRob was healthy, he's be the starting 2B over Flaherty or Casilla.

On the hustle issue, I've always thought BRob's detractors overblew this. It's a matter of opinion, though, and I'm not going to argue with those who feel otherwise.

I can't speak to who felt Roberts helped them or not. He certainly looked to me like he was trying to help during the 2012 stretch run, when he'd often be seated right next to Buck and speaking with him about whatever was going on. I seem to recall Markakis saying nice things about BRob when he was a younger player. That's all I got. Most of the players on the team now didn't have a lot of exposure to Roberts.

I agree with you. A couple of times late in his career, he didn't hustle like he did when he was younger. And of course, the detractors like to point this out, frequently.

Even after Roberts left the team, both Roberts and Nick both mentioned keeping in touch with each other.

First, I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I only liked Brian because he's cute and I'm a woman. It certainly didn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes, but make no mistake - I'm a baseball fan first and foremost. I appreciate good players regardless of their looks, I promise. Perhaps I read your comment wrong, so if I did I apologize.

Second, I actually wouldn't even classify him as my favorite player. I just enjoyed watching him play. I don't remember ever thinking he didn't hustle or didn't care. He was one of the few bright spots in a decade full of misery. Not every guy is going to have leadership ability. And I think it's a nice thought but probably not realistic to think that a guy who plays on bad, bad teams for years and years is going to hustle every single time out of the box on a lazy fly ball to right.

Third, if he wanted to play another year, and the O's didn't want to sign him but the Yankees did, he was supposed to say no? I can't think of many people who would do that. Make hay while the sun shines, isn't that the saying? $2 million is $2 million, I don't care how rich you already are. Most people want as much as they can get! Isn't that the American way? Nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, my main point is that I never heard a bad thing about the guy in all the years he played here (except for the steroid thing, which was disappointing), but after he signed with the Yankees, all of the sudden he was a bad teammate who never hustled. True or not, it's disappointing to hear for a lot of reasons.

Wow, good post. Nice to hear from someone who actually makes sense, and can write a whole comment without blasting the guy for something.

Perhaps, but this has been noted to me by scouts, front office executives and others in the industry so I'm not talking about some occasional lapse seen from a fan perspective.

I really do get why so many fans take up for Roberts. He was a good player when the orioles weren't good so some fans will always remember him fondly. Like I said before, I'm fine with people having that outlook. I just try to give some context to him that might not know. I realize this runs some people wrong but I'm not here to be a fanboy and just give out all the good things.

I say plenty of good things about Orioles players present and past but I would not be taken seriously if I didn't provide the full picture. Some rather not know and that's fine. Some apparently think I don't make any sense because I'm not a fanboy, that's ok, but some people do like to get this perspective and I don't plan on not providing it anytime soon. ;)

Perhaps, but this has been noted to me by scouts, front office executives and others in the industry so I'm not talking about some occasional lapse seen from a fan perspective.

I really do get why so many fans take up for Roberts. He was a good player when the orioles weren't good so some fans will always remember him fondly. Like I said before, I'm fine with people having that outlook. I just try to give some context to him that might not know. I realize this runs some people wrong but I'm not here to be a fanboy and just give out all the good things.

I say plenty of good things about Orioles players present and past but I would not be taken seriously if I didn't provide the full picture. Some rather not know and that's fine. Some apparently think I don't make any sense because I'm not a fanboy, that's ok, but some people do like to get this perspective and I don't plan on not providing it anytime soon. ;)

You need to write a book Tony, about the dark years. Then everyone will be even happier about what they have now.

I haven't been a fan of Roberts ever since I read somewhere that he was one of the main guys that hazed Wieters when he first came up (so much so that it was still going on once Buck got here).

I forget where I read that though. True or not, ever since then, I've seen Brian in a different light.

Well, that is a new one for me.

I like getting your perspective. That's what brought me to the OH in 2003 in the first place. I just have trouble fully accepting second or third-hand information that is offered without specifics, when it comes to judging intangible things like whether a player is a good teammate. Don't take this as a knock on you -- I am sure you don't feel at liberty to identify specific sources and the specific incidents they may have told you about in an off-the-record manner, and I wouldn't expect you to do it. But as I said, I just have a life philosophy of not judging other people too harshly unless I have pretty strong reasons to do it.

Well, that is a new one for me.

It's a new one for me, too, and I'm a bit doubtful of its accuracy. Buck joined the team in August 2010. Roberts had been on the DL most of the season with a back problem, and returned almost exactly when Buck came on as manager. I have a hard time believing that BRob showed up after being on the DL for 3+ months and then started hazing Wieters.

Found this in the Baltimore sun, and Jeff Z says not true:

Jeff, slightly off topic question for you. I was reading an article on Wieters in the Wash Post this morning. It mentioned that Buck had to stop the veterans from hazing Wieters last year. Really? Are they in high school? The team was in a historic free fall and they were hazing one of the guys to get them out of it? Did you notice any hazing of Wieters last year? Thanks.

...............................................................................................

Jeff Z's reply: Absolutely not. This topic came up last year and both Showalter and Wieters said that there was no hazing of Wieters. In fact, Wieters is very close to the veterans of last year's team, like Wigginton and Roberts. Showalter likes to tell a story in relation to Wieters about how badly Teixeira was hazed when he was coming up with the Rangers. He's told it in relation to Wieters several times, and I think that's where the confusion comes in. But I think his point is basically to say that it took a while for the Rangers to become Teixeira's team, adn it's going to be the same with the Orioles and Wieters.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/adams_tatum_lead_orioles_hit_p.html

Yeah. Brian doesn't strike me as the hazing type. He seems pretty quiet, which is probably where the lack of leadership knock comes into play.

Anyway, I'm finished defending the guy. He was a good player here and I wish him well in his retirement.

This morning the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) launched ReThinkConcussions.com. The website seeks to educate the public and raise awareness of concussion treatment possibilities.

As part of the effort to educate everyone, former patient and recently retired Brian Roberts, is featured in brand new testimonial in their support of UPMC’s sports medicine practice.

The website and associated campaign include:

- Moving testimonials from pro athletes and former patients Brian Roberts and David Ross, among other athlete stories

- An interactive guide to demystifying concussion, along with insight into how UPMC approaches this “invisible injury” from assessment and treatment to research and education

- Information on the multi-disciplinary team’s unique approach, including key research and articles from internationally-renowned Dr. Michael “Micky” Collins

Archived