Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does someone try steroids once or twice? He may have said that to Bigbie but I'm skeptical that he was telling Bigbie the truth. Again, I'm no expert on steroids, but I don't think it's something you "try" once or twice. To try and see the effects, wouldn't you have had to have done it a lot more than once or twice?

I have absolutely no idea what the truth is here, but I don't find it implausible for him to have gotten a couple of injections and then had a change of heart and just said "this is kind of squirrely, not for me, no more."

I have absolutely no idea what the truth is here, but I don't find it implausible for him to have gotten a couple of injections and then had a change of heart and just said "this is kind of squirrely, not for me, no more."

I agree, totally plausible.

Not sure why some find it so implausible, other, than their dislike of the guy is coloring their judgment.

I used to enjoy his at bats where he would foul off 12 pitches before getting a hit and then immediately steal second, and third.

So did I, weams. This is the Roberts that I loved to watch play. Funny how we have a tendancy to remember the bad points of what a guy does and can't seem to recall the good ones. And yet, I also agree with many others who found him less than the perfect role model.

I knew from his actions (seeing him take his wife and little boy onto the field behind 2nd base for pictures) after his last game of the year, that he wasn't coming back. His actions spoke loudly to me. I know what I saw.

Thanks for posting the positive, weams.

Lonborg's contract prohibited him from skiing, which he did anyway and blew out his knee. When the truth came out, he lost his contract. And that was coming off a season (1967) in which he'd won 22 games and led the Sox to a 7 game World Series. He didn't start as many as 30 games again until 1972.

I knew about the accident, and Lonborg's subsequent fall from the ranks in pitching (thanks, though.) I was pointing out that Lonborg lied about it, and then conceded that he lied about it to the reporter.

There's a lot of revisionist history in this post. Roberts did not make a "host" of mental errors. It isn't true that he didn't run hard to first base "most" times. I'd say he made fewer mental errors than most players, and while it's true that there were times where he didn't run at 100% to first base, it certainly wasn't most of the time, and he certainly didn't jog down there. I personally don't think he was worse than most players in that regard, or if he was below average, it wasn't by much.

The Brian Roberts I'll remember is the one who had great, patient at bats, the one who distracted opposing pitchers mightily when he was on the bases, the one who had a very high success rate stealing bases, especially stealing 3B, who hit a ton of doubles, who was troublesome from both sides of the plate, who ran charity functions in his spare time. I'm sorry his four year deal worked out so poorly, but that doesn't cause me to forget that BRob was an excellent, exciting, heads-up player for most of the time he was an Oriole.

I dont really expect you to be familiar with my whole history of posting. But I am not guilty of revising anything. I was complaining about the points I just made for YEARS. You can say I am wrong. And I dont think I was. But "changing history" I am not.

I dont really expect you to be familiar with my whole history of posting. But I am not guilty of revising anything. I was complaining about the points I just made for YEARS. You can say I am wrong. And I dont think I was. But "changing history" I am not.

OK, fair enough. I don't remember what positions you took on Brian Roberts in the past. But are you actually saying that BRob didn't run hard to first base "most" of the time? Anyway, I disagree with you on that, or on the idea that he made a "host" of mental errors. If you have examples of what those were, please feel free to supply them. (I won't fault you if you don't recall specifics now, I'm just wondering what you have in mind. I can certainly cite several stupid things Melvin Mora did off the top of my head.)

How does someone try steroids once or twice? He may have said that to Bigbie but I'm skeptical that he was telling Bigbie the truth. Again, I'm no expert on steroids, but I don't think it's something you "try" once or twice. To try and see the effects, wouldn't you have had to have done it a lot more than once or twice?

Roberts said that after getting shot up with steroids, he had immediate regrets and decided not to do it again. It wasn't that they were ineffective, it's that he changed his mind about doing it. I'm not vouching for the truth of that statement, just giving a reminder of what his explanation was.

Roberts said that after getting shot up with steroids, he had immediate regrets and decided not to do it again. It wasn't that they were ineffective, it's that he changed his mind about doing it. I'm not vouching for the truth of that statement, just giving a reminder of what his explanation was.

I know. I just have to tell you. Everyone that has not been caught will always tell you they have never done it. All of them. And all of the guys who have been caught did it one time. In a lapse of judgement. Unless the were caught twice. Not just Brian. I am not picking on him. All of them.

I know. I just have to tell you. Everyone that has not been caught will always tell you they have never done it. All of them. And all of the guys who have been caught did it one time. In a lapse of judgement. Unless the were caught twice. Not just Brian. I am not picking on him. All of them.

And it was to recover from injury. To help the team. That needed them.

Archived