Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

He probably doesn't care, but he will never be able to call himself a career Oriole, because he had to play that one last season with the Yankees. Same tired story that so many others have.

I imagine most players care a lot less about that than the fans since they had no choice in the team that drafted them.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BRob was a very exciting player to watch. I'll remember him as one of the very best leadoff men the Orioles ever had. It's a shame his peak years coincided with a terrible era of Orioles baseball. That wasn't his fault. Anyway, I'm glad he got the hint and decided to retire.

BRob was a very exciting player to watch. I'll remember him as one of the very best leadoff men the Orioles ever had. It's a shame his peak years coincided with a terrible era of Orioles baseball. That wasn't his fault. Anyway, I'm glad he got the hint and decided to retire.

Agreed. He was someone folks in NC and especially here in the Durham-Chapel Hill area really enjoyed seeing in the bigs. Sad for his last few years and it wasn't easy seeing him move on to NY, but he's seen the writing on the wall. I think he may end up possibly running camps or coaching or something. It's a role his Dad knows a lot about, being a university coach.

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/articles/steve-gorman-sports-482123/brian-roberts-will-be-retiring-from-12867210/

Brian said it's time to hang up the cleats after leaving Yankees. He was my 2nd favorite Oriole after Cal and I'm going to miss him not being in baseball. He gave the Orioles and the city of Baltimore a lot of great years. Hope he can come back to the organization at some point and help us out in some way! Thanks Brob!

Best wishes to Brian and his family. He had one heck of a career. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

I loved all the doubles he had for a good half decade.

I will say he played distracted a lot. Did not hustle all the time. He also came off as kind of entitled. I honestly dont miss him. His last four years were very forgettable.

I was one of the guys pushing for a trade in the 08-09 era. We might of gotten one decent prospect for him. But that is water under the bridge.

The steroids caught up with him.. No wonder his body broke down

Funny how the steroid narrative changes based on who you're talking about. If a guy gets hurt, it's obviously the 'roids making his body break down. If the guy is OPSing .900 at 38 the 'roids obviously gave him superpowers and anti-aging properties. This even if there's scant evidence the guy was on anything most of his career.

Haven't seen this anywhere else, notably MLBTR, who always post about retirement. Not on MLB either.

I just did a search and found it. I assume he will make an official statement sometime. Unless it was all just a gag and it wasn't really even him in the interview lol. Sounded like him tho.

He probably doesn't care, but he will never be able to call himself a career Oriole, because he had to play that one last season with the Yankees. Same tired story that so many others have.

Roberts was never going to turn down an extra pay day.

Roberts was never going to turn down an extra pay day.

He probably lost that much in Baltimore area endorsements in his post career because he took it though. And it would have been spread out longer, so he would not have lost as much to tax. But he did always dream of wearing the pinstripes. Like all young ballplayers do.

Archived