Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

It is not like he would get a job next year. I would say this is an involuntary retirement.

He could go down the Rickey or Julio Franco path and play in Mexico or the Atlantic League or Japan or something until he's 47. But I guess that's less appealing when you have concussion issues, a ridiculously hot wife, and $10s of millions in the bank.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He could go down the Rickey or Julio Franco path and play in Mexico or the Atlantic League or Japan or something until he's 47. But I guess that's less appealing when you have concussion issues, a ridiculously hot wife, and $10s of millions in the bank.

Great response.

I will say that in his prime, BRob was really, really good. I see the O's HOF in his future.

This makes his half season for the Yankees all the more sour. He could have played his entire career in one organization. Maybe those little things don't matter to him, but they would to me if I were a player. To play that long and only have half a season with someone else....

This makes his half season for the Yankees all the more sour. He could have played his entire career in one organization. Maybe those little things don't matter to him, but they would to me if I were a player. To play that long and only have half a season with someone else....

Funniest part is that they replaced him with someone that cost more and played even worse.

I can't forget all the time Roberts was out and basically stole money from the organization. He made at least 20 mil being on the disabled list and had his 1'st child during all his agony. Great gig if you can get it. Sure he had some good years here but on some really terrible teams. He seemed to be a selfish player that built up his stats so he could get those big paychecks. I don't consider him any higher than many other ex O's you never hear from anymore.

I enjoyed watching him play. I wish the tail end of his career could have ended better for him.

Me too. I never understood all the vitriol directed toward him after his concussion issues. Professional athletes don't work their butts off for years to get to an elite level, get paid and then pretend to get hurt so they can do nothing while collecting a paycheck. Guys who are that competitive just aren't wired that way. All things being equal, I'm sure Brian wanted to go out there and play as hard as he always did, almost entirely for a really crappy team. He was a very good player on some horrible, horrible teams, and I wish he'd been able to enjoy success here. I hope he enjoys good health in his retirement.

I can't forget all the time Roberts was out and basically stole money from the organization. He made at least 20 mil being on the disabled list and had his 1'st child during all his agony. Great gig if you can get it. Sure he had some good years here but on some really terrible teams. He seemed to be a selfish player that built up his stats so he could get those big paychecks. I don't consider him any higher than many other ex O's you never hear from anymore.

I love folks who say that Roberts was stealing money from the Orioles. I'm sure if you'd signed a guaranteed contract with your company and then got hurt and were unable to work you'd just give all the money back.

And yes, it was horrible that he selfishly put up all those very good seasons when the O's were bad. A real team player would have just sac bunted constantly until the O's were over .500.

Archived