Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My memory isn't great' date=' but I think Tony has some source information implying that Brob wasn't enough of a team player.[/quote']

It's baseball. There is really no such thing as a team player in baseball. What's good for the individual is good for the team.

My memory isn't great' date=' but I think Tony has some source information implying that Brob wasn't enough of a team player.[/quote']

Maybe so, but he toiled away as the best player on some really terrible teams for a long time. Who knows how he would have acted if he'd been surrounded by better talent? I can't blame him for not having the best attitude all the time if that's really the case. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if I were a guy with his abilities losing 90+ games a year. Sooner or later that has to wear on you.

At any rate, he never presented himself as anything but a humble, hard-working class act in public when he was here, and it bothers me that people are now besmirching the guy's name simply because he played 3 months with the Yankees at the end of his career.

Maybe so, but he toiled away as the best player on some really terrible teams for a long time. Who knows how he would have acted if he'd been surrounded by better talent? I can't blame him for not having the best attitude all the time if that's really the case. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if I were a guy with his abilities losing 90+ games a year. Sooner or later that has to wear on you.

At any rate, he never presented himself as anything but a humble, hard-working class act in public when he was here, and it bothers me that people are now besmirching the guy's name simply because he played 3 months with the Yankees at the end of his career.

I think more than 90% of all players would have done just what Roberts did over the last few years, if faced with similar circumstances.

I've never seen him display anything but a team oriented attitude and he's always been one of my favorite players. I'm merely relaying what Tony has said.

I really never got the impression that Brian was a selfish player, as some are implying here. Rough crowd.

B-Rob has always brought out that in the posters in OH.

Some are in love with the guy and think he can walk on water.

And there are quite a few haters in the crowd, people despise everything about him.

I am neither. I like the guy, respect him for what he did while he was here, but at the end of the day, his days are over and past time for him to sail into retirement. I am glad he was gone and giving Schoop the chance to play.

I have no problems putting him in Oriole HOF, but be prepared to see the backlash from the haters.

I think more than 90% of all players would have done just what Roberts did over the last few years, if faced with similar circumstances.

Totally agree. He tried to come back and for whatever reasons it just didn't work out. I get the impression a lot of people think he was just sitting around counting his money when he was dealing with his concussion issues. I'm sure that wasn't the case.

I've never seen him display anything but a team oriented attitude and he's always been one of my favorite players. I'm merely relaying what Tony has said.

Understood, and I'm sure Tony's sources know more about this than I do. From a fan's perspective, though, I always like Brian the player and Brian the person.

Roberts was very good at public relations.

It's baseball. There is really no such thing as a team player in baseball. What's good for the individual is good for the team.

I think Tony may feel that the Orioles of 2012 and 2013 were injured by not being able to count on Brian Roberts, physically, offensively, or defensively.

Roberts was very good at public relations.

When healthy, he performed well on the field, and combined with the good PR, that's really all that matters to me as a fan. All this stuff that's coming out now that he's no longer in Baltimore just doesn't sit right to me. The only knock against him as far as I know was his admitted steroid usage. Other than that, he was pretty much a model citizen here.

When healthy, he performed well on the field, and combined with the good PR, that's really all that matters to me as a fan. All this stuff that's coming out now that he's no longer in Baltimore just doesn't sit right to me. The only knock against him as far as I know was his admitted steroid usage. Other than that, he was pretty much a model citizen here.

I agree with you dude. Brian Roberts was fun to watch in his prime. I remember a game against Boston at home. I was sitting like 2 rows up from home dugout. He gets a leadoff single and then promptly steals 2nd and 3rd. So there are 0 outs and a runner on 3rd with Nick up. That's what he used to do all the time, and boy could we benefit from someone like that at the top of the order nowadays. I'm tired of people calling him lazy and a "bad" guy cuz of the steroids or the money he "stole" from the Orioles. The dude was a great Oriole, and he gave alot of time and money to support his charities.

I agree with you dude. Brian Roberts was fun to watch in his prime. I remember a game against Boston at home. I was sitting like 2 rows up from home dugout. He gets a leadoff single and then promptly steals 2nd and 3rd. So there are 0 outs and a runner on 3rd with Nick up. That's what he used to do all the time, and boy could we benefit from someone like that at the top of the order nowadays. I'm tired of people calling him lazy and a "bad" guy cuz of the steroids or the money he "stole" from the Orioles. The dude was a great Oriole, and he gave alot of time and money to support his charities.

Dudette, but thanks! ;)

Dudette, but thanks! ;)

You both are right.

But, but, the two sides of the Roberts discussion is never going to agree. We have beat this guy to death in OH.

Archived