Brian Roberts to retire

auzzy98

This morning the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) launched ReThinkConcussions.com. The website seeks to educate the public and raise awareness of concussion treatment possibilities.

As part of the effort to educate everyone, former patient and recently retired Brian Roberts, is featured in brand new testimonial in their support of UPMC?s sports medicine practice.

The website and associated campaign include:

- Moving testimonials from pro athletes and former patients Brian Roberts and David Ross, among other athlete stories

- An interactive guide to demystifying concussion, along with insight into how UPMC approaches this ?invisible injury? from assessment and treatment to research and education

- Information on the multi-disciplinary team?s unique approach, including key research and articles from internationally-renowned Dr. Michael ?Micky? Collins

So, systematically and repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a bat is a bad idea then?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, systematically and repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a bat is a bad idea then?

I bet lots of hitters tapped themselves on the helmet at times out of frustration. You and many others need to get over it. Seemed like a freak thing that he got a concussion from it to me. And no one would have thought twice about seeing him do it if it didn't end up "costing" the Orioles part of 40 million dollars.

I bet lots of hitters tapped themselves on the helmet at times out of frustration. You and many others need to get over it. Seemed like a freak thing that he got a concussion from it to me. And no one would have thought twice about seeing him do it if it didn't end up "costing" the Orioles part of 40 million dollars.

It wasn't the money. It was the loss of what we thought was a star player for three out of those four years. And not being allowed to have another second baseman because we already had one that was signed for 40 million that should be ready to go in two to three weeks.

But it did happen the way you describe and most are not going to forget how it happened.

I think that you need to acknowledge that what Roberts did to himselfwas ill advised and irresponsible.

It wasn't the money. It was the loss of what we thought was a star player for three out of those four years. And not being allowed to have another second baseman because we already had one that was signed for 40 million that should be ready to go in two to three weeks.

See, now to me that's a logical way to put it. And I pretty much agree with what you said. So many though say his self inflicted concussion should be warranted by him giving back the money he earned before the concussion. You know the money he stole from the O's. That makes no sense at all to me. Sure, it was frustrating, but he doesn't owe the Orioles part of 40 mill

But it did happen the way you describe and most are not going to forget how it happened.

I think that you need to acknowledge that what Roberts did to himselfwas ill advised and irresponsible.

Of course it was. But who would have said beforehand that they knew he would get a concussion from that?

Of course it was. But who would have said beforehand that they knew he would get a concussion from that?

I had no idea that you could get a concussion that would cost you three years by hitting yourself on the head with a bat while wearing a helmet. Color me surprised.

I don't remember all of the details, but didn't Roberts make an out, get frustrated, and then just kind of bopped himself on his batting helmet with the bat? Who in the world would think that could cause a concussion? You see football players bump helmets without thinking about it, and this can't be that much more severe, it just happened to be a freak thing.

Maybe I'm missing some crucial detail, but I always thought this was a pretty innocent thing that just happened to line up all wrong.

Probably anyone who has been hit with a blunt object.

I've did the same thing that Brian Roberts did years ago.

The sound inside the helmet was as loud as anything that I can remember.

While I did not sustain a concussion, my actions were irresponsible and foolish.

Brian Roberts miseed a considerable amount of time at the highest level of play because of a self inflicted injury.

I know that he did not intend to harm himself, however, the end result was that he hurt the team along with himself.

I don't remember all of the details, but didn't Roberts make an out, get frustrated, and then just kind of bopped himself on his batting helmet with the bat? Who in the world would think that could cause a concussion? You see football players bump helmets without thinking about it, and this can't be that much more severe, it just happened to be a freak thing.

Maybe I'm missing some crucial detail, but I always thought this was a pretty innocent thing that just happened to line up all wrong.

My theory is that Brian probably suffered other concussions in his career. ( Mild and not diagnosed)

His method of sliding was head first most of the time.

Maybe this time he hit himself in the wrong spot.

My theory is that Brian probably suffered other concussions in his career.

His method of sliding was head first most of the time.

Maybe this time he hit himself in the wrong spot.

Right, so the bat/helmet thing was ill-advised, but no one would have said "oh yea, that'll end your career!" In fact, no one would have thought anything of it.

Any catcher who has been concussed by a foul tip.

Are you suggesting that Roberts' bat impacted his helmet at 95 mph? I think it was probably less severe than the backswing that hit the Royals' catcher the other day and he didn't so much as leave the game.

I think a catcher also has a mask on, a mask designed to deflect impacts.

Archived