You know what really grinds my gears?

Pedro Cerrano

Exactly, that was my whole point to MWEB and TTF at the beginning of the day, the Duke rivalry with Maryland didnt really pick up steam until the 2000's. Duke was just like everyone else to Maryland up until that point. It's always big to beat Carolina for most teams, and that's awesome that you remember that as a high point.

Well as a 33 year old, who has been watching Maryland basketball since I was six, I can tell you that in the beginning for me it was Anyone But Carolina. However, since the time Danny Ferry left the capital beltway area to play at Duke, it is all about the Blue Devils. I hate everything about them. Coach K is a great coach, but the Dukies are the worst. Ferry, Hurley, Laettner, Hill, Parks, Wojo, etc. ... that is the rivalry that has always stuck out to me, even when it was one-sided.

What makes it so hard to watch is that ANY team that goes into Cameron is going to get screwed. The pressure defense that has been their hallmark allows them to get away with so many fouls, a la Florida St. and BC last year that you literally have to play twice as good as them to win there. I get pissed just thinking about it.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, why aren't you a UMBC fan(you went to St Joe, so i assume you lived close to there) or Towson or Loyola? I mean, they are all D1 schools.

See, untlimately, unless you go to the school or have big time family ties to the school, everyone is a bandwagon fan on some level.

You guys are MD fans because they are the state school, in a major conference, in the national spotlight and have a chance to win champsionships.

You aren't die hard UMBC or Towson fans, even if you live closer to those schools(or even went to the schools) because there isn't much to really root for.

SG, you are so skilled in the art of debate, but this argument is el stinko.;)

Well as a 33 year old, who has been watching Maryland basketball since I was six, I can tell you that in the beginning for me it was Anyone But Carolina. However, since the time Danny Ferry left the capital beltway area to play at Duke, it is all about the Blue Devils. I hate everything about them. Coach K is a great coach, but the Dukies are the worst. Ferry, Hurley, Laettner, Hill, Parks, Wojo, etc. ... that is the rivalry that has always stuck out to me, even when it was one-sided.

What makes it so hard to watch is that ANY team that goes into Cameron is going to get screwed. The pressure defense that has been their hallmark allows them to get away with so many fouls, a la Florida St. and BC last year that you literally have to play twice as good as them to win there. I get pissed just thinking about it.

I agree with everything you said after the ABC part..However, for the most part, the Maryland-Duke "rivalry" did not heat up until 2000. I"m not saying Maryland fans didn't hate Duke or anything like that, I"m just saying that it wasn't a huge deal until both teams were great. I went to Dook-Maryland games in the mid 90's, and while intense, were nothing like they became in the 2000's. They stormed the court when they beat Carolina in 1995 or 96, but not when they beat Duke whatever year that was.

I agree with everything you said after the ABC part..However, for the most part, the Maryland-Duke "rivalry" did not heat up until 2000. I"m not saying Maryland fans didn't hate Duke or anything like that, I"m just saying that it wasn't a huge deal until both teams were great. I went to Dook-Maryland games in the mid 90's, and while intense, were nothing like they became in the 2000's. They stormed the court when they beat Carolina in 1995 or 96, but not when they beat Duke whatever year that was.

You are right about the rivalry, no doubt. My point is there has been an intense hatred of Duke by some Maryland fans for many moons. I hate Duke. I dislike North Carolina. It has been that way for me since about 1986. I have like too many of Carolina's players and coaches to hate them, actually have a lot of respect for them.

You are right about the rivalry, no doubt. My point is there has been an intense hatred of Duke by some Maryland fans for many moons. I hate Duke. I dislike North Carolina. It has been that way for me since about 1986. I have like too many of Carolina's players and coaches to hate them, actually have a lot of respect for them.

I agree, there had been an intense hatred of Duke by some, however it's much more intense today than it once was. That's all my point was.

Being as biased as I am about Carolina, I think it's awesome all the respect I see by the guys on this thread. I hope it remains because we're on a run of success that will continue for years and years I believe. Hopefully Coach Williams can handle his success with class and dignity like he does now, unlike a certain Coach from Duke.

My feelings exactly.

I'll admit that once an ACC player reaches the NBA I typically root for him to do well (okay, not Redick).

It is much easier to do this since UNC players generally make better pros than do Duke players. :P

I did like Grant Hill and Johnny Dawkins, and both were very good NBA players whose careers were affected by injuires. As far as the NBA comparison, it's not even fun to talk about anymore we just have more NBA players than any other school, and it's been like that for quite a while.

I could watch that little boy in the Duke jersey cry all day, thans for the link Gagne.

I used to like the 49ers when I was younger because they had Jerry Rice, and the Cowboys because I liked the color blue, and even (shudder) Duke because they were the best. You know what happened though? I GREW UP and chose not to continue my disloyalty because of arbitrary childhood decisions. Anyone from MD who roots for Duke without actually attending the school or with a close family connection has no soul. Bandwagon Duke fans shouldn't even be allowed to reside in MD, unless they're here to be tested on like animals.

DUKE SUCKS!

I agree, there had been an intense hatred of Duke by some, however it's much more intense today than it once was. That's all my point was.

Being as biased as I am about Carolina, I think it's awesome all the respect I see by the guys on this thread. I hope it remains because we're on a run of success that will continue for years and years I believe. Hopefully Coach Williams can handle his success with class and dignity like he does now, unlike a certain Coach from Duke.

Vic Bubas?

Archived