Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

I think he over managed. Way too hell bent on showing everyone that he was the smartest guy in the room. I don't want an AL manager that ends up having to have the pitcher bat in the game because he has painted the team in that corner with his moves.

He got a bit cute for my taste at times.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the platooning and swapping lineups he juggles. It's mostly pitching I think and he has had it, but it's not ALL pitching.

I won't say you're wrong about Maddon but you're in the vast minority.

Vast minority amongst casual Tampa Bay observers (which I am one), but there were A LOT of Tampa Bay fans that did not like Maddon.

I think he over managed. Way too hell bent on showing everyone that he was the smartest guy in the room. I don't want an AL manager that ends up having to have the pitcher bat in the game because he has painted the team in that corner with his moves.

My thoughts as well. Generally, I thought well of him, but I think this is his tendency.

So, one example to rationalize your argument is enough to discount his entire body of work with the team? I can do that, too, except from a positive aspect. Like the countless times when he had match ups in his BP available yet chose to go with what the numbers said. Most managers will go with match ups unless it's a guy who gets both LH and RH batters out.

And he's for years got the most out of a roster operating at a fraction of the cost if not near the bottom of the league. To me, Maddon is one of the few managers around who thinks outside the box. If that appears to be cute sometimes then maybe your conventionality is being tested.

Whatever the case, no manager will please people with his decisions all the time. Overall though, his record must be given some credence and he didn't exactly inherit a great situation when he took over the job there.

So, one example to rationalize your argument is enough to discount his entire body of work with the team? I can do that, too, except from a positive aspect. Like the countless times when he had match ups in his BP available yet chose to go with what the numbers said. Most managers will go with match ups unless it's a guy who gets both LH and RH batters out.

And he's for years got the most out of a roster operating at a fraction of the cost if not near the bottom of the league. To me, Maddon is one of the few managers around who thinks outside the box. If that appears to be cute sometimes then maybe your conventionality is being tested.

Whatever the case, no manager will please people with his decisions all the time. Overall though, his record must be given some credence and he didn't exactly inherit a great situation when he took over the job there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Montreal will host spring training games again in 2015, Blue Jays vs. Reds. Official announcement expected soon.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">October 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Montreal will host spring training games again in 2015, Blue Jays vs. Reds. Official announcement expected soon.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="
">October 25, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Montreal?

winter_smilies_0012.gif

Brooklyn deserves a team. They have waited long enough.

Who is they? The old Brooklyn dwellers who supported the team and are all pretty much gone now, their kids who probably left the city, or the young folks in the latest wave of gentrification who have moved in in the last decade and couldn't pick Pee Wee Reese out of a lineup?

Not at all. The "fallacy of anecdotal evidence" is when you use a specific example to prove the specific point you are making. That isn't what my jab at Maddon is doing at all in my argument.

Tampa fans, from my experience, are pretty uneducated about baseball in general.

I'd disagree. Their organization is so metric driven, it seems that it forced their fans to be a little more educated on such matters. Overall they have always struck me as being a little more intelligent than the average baseball fan.

I'd disagree. Their organization is so metric driven' date=' it seems that it forced their fans to be a little more educated on such matters. Overall they have always struck me as being a little more intelligent than the average baseball fan.[/quote']

I live in the bay area and interact with Rays fans on a daily basis. I don't see it.

Who is they? The old Brooklyn dwellers who supported the team and are all pretty much gone now, their kids who probably left the city, or the young folks in the latest wave of gentrification who have moved in in the last decade and couldn't pick Pee Wee Reese out of a lineup?

The 20 million people in the greater NY metropolitan area. They deserve another choice.

I'd disagree. Their organization is so metric driven' date=' it seems that it forced their fans to be a little more educated on such matters. Overall they have always struck me as being a little more intelligent than the average baseball fan.[/quote']It would be nice if it were true. I'd say the average Orioles fan is much more concerned about metrics.

Archived