Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

So realistically, what does this mean for the Rays? They lost two of the best minds in baseball and they were the main reason they could be so successful with such a limited payroll. Do the Rays go back to being another crappy low payroll franchise now?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Tampa Bay area and the Triangle should just swap teams. Or, better yet, just make the Durham Bulls a MLB team and put the Rays in AAA. (When I started typing I thought I was joking... not so sure anymore.)

I have been not so secretly dreaming of such a scenario for years.

So realistically, what does this mean for the Rays? They lost two of the best minds in baseball and they were the main reason they could be so successful with such a limited payroll. Do the Rays go back to being another crappy low payroll franchise now?

Their farm system hasn't been the same since they became competitive in 2008. Not getting one of the top picks has their herd a lot thinner. In recent years, most of their players have come from other teams.

The Rays need out of Tampa/St Pete. The area is just to transient to support enough of a local following. Honestly, I'd be happy to see it move anywhere where they will build a nice outdoor stadium.

I think the problem has more to do with the fact that a lot of people here earn a fair part of their livelihood thanks to spring training for other teams. They aren't Pirates, Yankees, and Blue Jays fans in the spring and then Rays fans in the summer.

Are the Twins the only MLB team looking for a manager right now? Do you think the Twins would want him? I would think he would be a perfect fit for a rebuilding team like Minnesota.

I don't think he opts out of Tampa just to go to another small market team.

I wouldn't be resting too easy if I was Mattingly though. That's for sure.

Are the Twins the only MLB team looking for a manager right now? Do you think the Twins would want him? I would think he would be a perfect fit for a rebuilding team like Minnesota.

There are certainly teams with managers under contracts who would be willing to make room for Maddon.

Archived