Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

I have a lot of respect for Joe Maddon. This kind of tells me what Maddon thinks of Silverman. The Rays are in big trouble.

Ex-Rays manager Joe Maddon is looking for a five-year deal in the $25 million range, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ex-Rays manager Joe Maddon is looking for a five-year deal in the $25 million range, reports Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

I guess that article I posted was right. We have GMs and Managers wanting to be paid like players.

5/25 is nuts for a manager.

A GM must be really insecure in his own abilities to think otherwise.

If they hadn't noticed they wouldn't have nudged him out of the dugout years ago.

Not much of a track record to go on with him. He was the heir apparent. Tim Wallach would have been a better choice, Mattingly had more marquee appeal. That matters here.

Quite a statement considering the success the team's had under his direction with less than optimal circumstances.

What less than optimal circumstances? They have been one of the more talented teams in baseball during Maddon's time there. I pray our rotation is half as good over the next 8 or 9 years as it was for his 8 or 9 years in Tampa.

What less than optimal circumstances? They have been one of the more talented teams in baseball during Maddon's time there. I pray our rotation is half as good over the next 8 or 9 years as it was for his 8 or 9 years in Tampa.

One of the two worst stadiums on the league, mercurial at best fan base and low payroll.

Basically everything except talent.

With all the platooning and swapping lineups he juggles. It's mostly pitching I think and he has had it, but it's not ALL pitching.

I won't say you're wrong about Maddon but you're in the vast minority.

You don't think he had anything to do with the development of the players and the environment there? Why do you consider him overrated?

You don't think he had anything to do with the development of the players and the environment there? Why do you consider him overrated?

I think he over managed. Way too hell bent on showing everyone that he was the smartest guy in the room. I don't want an AL manager that ends up having to have the pitcher bat in the game because he has painted the team in that corner with his moves.

But are those issues that Maddon had to overcome' date=' or Friedman and company?[/quote']

Both.

I have to think that playing in front of a 10K crowd at home is something that a manager might have to address with his players. I imagine explaining to the rest of the team why Price got traded when the Rays were still technically in the race is something a manager might have to do.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I think anyone on this board deserves more respect than a comment like that. That's like saying, "Nobody cares what you have to say" on a board that is specifically designed to allow people to have their say.  Nobody here thinks Elias is reading this board and going, "Oh, Tony doesn't like that so I better stat playing Kjerstad!" lol
    • I get it, like I said, I personally think is a temporary move for a bench player while Hays is on the IL and not a trial run for a really long look at him yet. If the argument is O'Hearn isn't good out there, I'll buy that every day all day, I will also say that O'Hearn, right now, is a much more valuable bat to have in the lineup at this point in the season.
    • As disappointing as Santander seems right now, he was worse last year through March/April, we all know what he did after that. I think it's too early to call him dead weight.
    • This is a team that runs O'Hearn out to RF. If they are willing to do that, they should be willing to run Kjerstad out there because they are not really all that different defensively in RF. Kjerstad is not a great defender, but he's not some Trumbo like liability out there either (though Trumbo threw way better than Kjerstad). I did this once before, but I showed how you can rotate guys around to give him semi-regular PAs. Player day off: Santander - Kjerstad plays RF O'Hearn - Kjerstad DH Mountcastle - O'Hearn to 1B, Kjerstad to RF Mullins day off - Cowser to CF, Kjersatd to LF (live with the defense that day) Cowser day off - Kjerstad to LF Rutschman day off after catching too often - MCann catch, Kjerstad DH Even if you don't want Kjerstad in LF, that's still 4 other starters you can give a day off to and Kjerstad hit left-handers ok, so it's not like he can't play against Lefties.  They can find a way to get him 3-4 starts and PH in another 1-2 easily. If they don't want to do that, and it's ok if they have a different opinion of him, then send him back down and have him wait his turn and bring up Stowers or go get Hicks and let them play once a week.
    • Just my take: I think they just called up the best player available. He's here to be a pinch-hitter or a Santander sub for a short period of time if Hyde wants to utilize him like that. If he doesn't, that's his prerogative, but Elias has given him the best hitter available on the farm to use as he sees fit. Once Hays is back, Kjerstad will go back down to get regular ABs, just like Stowers did, just like Cowser did. They won't let him linger on the bench too much longer. Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, and Mayo are all incredible depth pieces, future ML starters, and excellent trade chips. Perhaps Elias didn't get any offers he liked in the offseason, so I think the plan is to hold them all as depth until July, and then swing something big. At least, that's what I hope happens.  Another potential is that perhaps Elias could have dealt one or two for pitching in the offseason, but is holding his cards for now just in case he needs to trade for another big name SP. Like if Bradish doesn't work out, or Burnes gets hurt. Something like that.  Like most of their decisions, Elias/Sig seem to like to kick the can down the road as long as possible. 
    • The organization definitely likes Kjerstad's bat, but there is a logjam at 1B/RF/DH that makes it tough for him to crack the lineup. I agree with Tony that there is enough wiggle room to give the other regulars a rest day during the week opening up room for Kjerstad to start 2 to 3 times. Rutschman complicates this as well because of his bat on the days he's not catching there's a good chance he's playing DH (like tonight).
    • I agree with this, but it's apparent they brought him up to be the 26th man. I've never been a big Kjerstad fan so I'm not really upset about it but I also agree with you...if you're going to bring someone up that's ranked like he is, you play them. If it were me, I'd be on the horn trying to trade him for a great bullpen arm.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now