Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would be nice if it were true. I'd say the average Orioles fan is much more concerned about metrics.

In my experience, there are very few fans who care about advanced metrics. Only the die-hard types like those who post on this board (and even then, about 50% are dismissive.) And MASN and the local media do almost nothing to try to educate the average fan on the advanced metrics. The Washington Post is much more committed to this stuff than the Sun or other Baltimore media.

Is there room, geographically, for a ballpark in Brooklyn? I know that there was a lot of controversy when the hoops arena was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In theory, yes there are places where they could build it, but anywhere in an established neighborhood with decent transit would put up an enormous NIMBY fight and make it not worth the effort.

But it's a pipe dream anyway. The Yankees and Mets wouldn't let it even get to the point of finding suitable sites.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>cubs are talking to maddon, and it's serious enough that renteria has been told of the possibility. <a href="http://t.co/yQtQydRR5n">http://t.co/yQtQydRR5n</a></p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">October 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd love for Montreal to get another team.

Easily the biggest metropolitan area north of Mexico without a team. Twice the size of places like Milwaukee or Cincy.

I'd like for MLB to one day admit they sabotaged baseball in Montreal because they didn't have any political leverage to get a free stadium from the government. But getting them a new team would be a nice consolation prize.

I'm interested in where they're playing this exhibition game. I don't know if Stade Olympique is baseball ready. It was in pretty bad shape 10 years ago.

I have not been checking. I know Vegas got hit hard by the great recession. Has it recovered sufficiently?
I didn't mean population I meant the economy. They would have to build a stadium and I certainly don't expect the team to pay for much of it.

I'm not sure about economy, either, but media market-wise Vegas is about on par with Norfolk, Edmonton, OKC, and Albuquerque. With the gambling ties I have a very hard time seeing a team in a city that's smaller than 10 or 15 other cities nobody considers for MLB teams.

In theory, yes there are places where they could build it, but anywhere in an established neighborhood with decent transit would put up an enormous NIMBY fight and make it not worth the effort.

But it's a pipe dream anyway. The Yankees and Mets wouldn't let it even get to the point of finding suitable sites.

I'd love to see more teams in the NYC area, but tons of obstacles, and they'd be several generations behind the Mets in loyalty, and an almost infinite distance behind the Yanks. Maybe in 20 or 30 years you'd have the Brooklyn team taking the Yanks payroll down to $190M in today's dollars.

Archived