Joe Maddon leaving the Rays for the Cubs

Greg

In 1933 the Washington Senators needed a new manager after dismissing Walter Johnson. They picked their best player, 26-year-old shortstop Joe Cronin. Who immediately guided the team to the World Series.

I am fully in favor of the Nats cooking up some excuse about playoff failure, firing Matt Williams, and appointing Bryce Harper manager. And GM. The fun would never end. Well... maybe it wouldn't go so well if you're a Nats fan. But for everyone else...

I'm all for it. I would support them in their World Series run under Bryce's leadership.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cubs?src=hash">#Cubs</a> to introduce Joe Maddon as 54th manager on Monday. Team issues release</p>— Carrie Muskat (@CarrieMuskat) <a href="
">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cubs presser for Maddon is on Monday at 2 pm at the Cubby Bear due to construction at Wrigley.</p>— Jesse Rogers (@ESPNChiCubs) <a href="

">October 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cubs don't need Span. They have Addison Russell and Almora to fit into that lineup. Schwarber as well.

Almora, who quite frankly hasn't been very good so far, likely wont be ready until 2017. Schwarber is slated to be the everyday catcher at either A+ or AA C so it doesn't really affect him and Russell would likely force Bryant to LF. I was basing the trade on the fact that Theo wants a LH OFer because he views Coghlan as a 4th outfielder. Regardless, it doesn't much matter now with the way Washington has played it.

o

Maddon's contract with his new team is a 5-year deal.

It is reportedly worth $25 Million plus incentives tied to the postseason.

There is no opt-out clause.

Joe Maddon Agrees to 5-Year Deal With the Cubs

(Associated Press)

"I'm gonna be talking playoffs next year," Maddon told reporters at The Cubby Bear, a bar across the street from Wrigley. "I'll tell you that right now. I can't go to spring training and say anything else. You have to set your goals high, because if you don't set them high enough you might hit your mark, and that's not a good thing. We're gonna talk World Series this year, and I'm gonna believe it. It's in our future."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/11815376/chicago-cubs-introduce-joe-maddon-manager

Archived