Orioles have two pitchers in the top 10 in ESPN's Cy Young Predictor

Aglets

Tillman was worth almost a full win more than Chen (which I still don't understand how he was only at 2.4), yet Chen is higher? No disrespect to Chen, who was much better than some folks want to give him credit for, but Tillman had the better season across the board and Chen being at #9 is largely a function of his win total.

How often do closers win the Cy Young? I know that it's happened, but as I recall, not very often. I'm asking this because I want to give my vote (for what it's worth, which is nothing because I'm a fan and not a baseball writer. :D ) to Zach Britton. :)

The golden age (if you could call it that) of closers winning the Cy Young seems to have past. There hasn't been one since Eric Gagne in 2003 and not one in the AL since Dennis Eckersley in 1992. But there was a fair smattering of them during the 70's and 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cy_Young_Award

I agree actually. Just thought it was fascinating that ESPN was showing such an Orioles bias. I guess that's just typical. :P

I consider it more lazy math and reporting that they could have had Chen on their list in the first place. As I said, nothing against the guy, but he wasn't better than Tillman this season.

How does the Cy Young predictor work? If it's reverse engineering the voting based on all of Cy Young history then you're going to get some screwy results that are heavily slanted towards wins/losses, innings and ERA. If it's just based on the last 10 years or so you still might get screwy results because we're in a transition period where the writers are slowly awakening to the reality that single-season pitcher win totals and even ERAs aren't directly the responsibility of the pitcher.

How does the Cy Young predictor work? If it's reverse engineering the voting based on all of Cy Young history then you're going to get some screwy results that are heavily slanted towards wins/losses, innings and ERA. If it's just based on the last 10 years or so you still might get screwy results because we're in a transition period where the writers are slowly awakening to the reality that single-season pitcher win totals and even ERAs aren't directly the responsibility of the pitcher.

Rob Neyer and Bill James devised an equation to rank pitchers based on past winners I believe.

You can see it at the bottom of the page at the link I provided. It's a function of IP, ER, K's, saves, shutouts, wins, losses, and "leading your team to the division championship."

Obviously it worked this year! Got Kershaw and Kluber.

Archived