Nick Swisher for Ubaldo Jimenez ?

AlbionHero

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Besides sucking now, I really can't gut Nick Swisher.
Survey Says: A.J. Pierzynski Most Hated Player
Not necessarily a ringing endorsement as a good teammate. Swisher, who has a reputation as being a good clubhouse guy, didn't get one either.

"Everything about (Swisher) is annoying, from his mannerisms to his always wanting to 'bro' it down," says an American League veteran. "Being around him is just exhausting."

Nick finished in 3rd place in the poll, at 9%.

Pretty much covers it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In Nick Swisher’s 11-year career, he’s been a below-average hitter just twice: 2008 and 2014

<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Indians?src=hash">#Indians</a></p>— Beyond the Box Score (@BtBScore) <a href="

">November 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm still not sure if I would do it... maybe if some other things fall apart. I wouldn't want Swisher in the field, so this would only be an option for me if Cruz lands somewhere else.

I'd take Swisher over Ubaldo.

Even though we both know Swisher is done?

Let's see, One guy is a great teammate who has shown evidence of working through a mechanical flaw. The other is a despised teammate who has fallen off the mid thirties cliff that looms for the post PED era hitters.

No way to become a crafty low bat speed hitter.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Short answer: no.  To win a World Series you need three things: (1) Talent, (2) Health, and (3) Luck.  The talent is here. You mention streaky and yes, there are streaky players, but most players are streaky. Only the best of the best are able to really avoid long slumps (and even they have many mini ones during the course of a season).  Health is the next key. The losses of Means and Wells are tough, but manageable. The same for Mateo given how solid he's been. The uncertainty around Bradish is more concerning though (fingers crossed the fact he's not yet on the IL is a good sign). We will see where we are in the health department come the end of the year.  As for luck, that's where timing comes in. Yes, we have streaky hitters. If those streaky hitters are (mostly) hitting when the postseason comes around, all is good. If everyone is cold like the team was a few weeks back, then we are in for a postseason similar to the one we had last year. The better the players, the better the chance they won't be slumping, but luck is a significant factor. 
    • My argument is more along the lines of the wall in Baltimore is not going to turn a mediocre LHP into an average one, even if the wall holds the ball in the park, there is a lot of damage to be done out there in ElRods corner or down the line. We've seen plenty of guys clear the wall that aren't known for their power grades, it's not an insurmountable object.
    • Robert Jr. is talented and fun to watch when he's on the field, which is rarely in his career.
    • I looked into it a few months ago during one of the "why can't we hit lefties" discussions and found that our hitters were worse vs lefties at home than on the road in both '22 (.635 vs LHP at home,  .689 on the road) and especially '23 (.694 vs .835). It's just two months BUT this year that has reversed and our offense has been average vs lefties on the road, and dominating them at home to an .895 OPS... best in MLB by a mile on that split.  Looking at our own LHPs, they did dramatically better home than away in '22 (4.03 vs 5.41). Last  year they were marginally better on the road (3.95 vs 3.86), and this year they're slightly better at home (3.04 vs 3.34).  If we put this year's 33 game sample on hold for now, three of the four full-season splits we have showed a decent sized performance boost for LHPs in the new Camden. The fourth was close to neutral. I don't know enough about park factor stuff to know how predictive that is though. Seems pretty hard to pin down. 
    • Yea…if they actually try and want to do. 😜😁
    • Maybe get Kopech in the deal as well. I personally don’t believe there will be a stud reliever/closer type guy out there. But Kopech and a guy like Nardi could be good and I doubt we have to give up much to get them..at least much in the grand scheme of things.
    • Right, like Holliday can learn to play center field!  
  • Popular Contributors