Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

isestrex

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

This poll is closed to new votes

54 minutes ago, Philip said:

It’s human nature. Some people want the whole package and some people don’t care. If someone is a repellent jerk they will lose some votes. I think that’s probably what has kept Schilling out so far.

Some females believe Morris was a jerk. lol

When playing for the Tigers, Morris was approached for a locker room interview by Jennifer Frey. At the time, Frey was an intern with the Miami Herald; she would later work as a reporter for The New York Times and The Washington Post. Morris responded to Frey that, "I don’t talk to women when I’m naked unless they’re on top of me or I’m on top of them". 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Going 21-6  at the age of 37, surely does help your team get into the playoffs.

I wonder if at 37, his arm was a bit worn out by the post season that year.

That's an interesting question. It certainly is possible. I enjoy the twists and turns of threads sometimes. Like how an 5 1/2 year old poll turns into a thread about the HOF. 

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

That's an interesting question. It certainly is possible. I enjoy the twists and turns of threads sometimes. Like how an 5 1/2 year old poll turns into a thread about the HOF. 

I think Morris was something like very good in 3 out of 4 WS, so I will give him a pass on his last Post season.

Not like he is Kershaw and sucks in every single post season.

41 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Some females believe Morris was a jerk. lol

Actually I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that comment and I think for a reporter to approach someone who is naked, regardless of the genders, is pretty rude.

She obviously was not penalized for the event, I hope she did not raise a stink about it.She obviously was not penalized for the event, I hope she did not raise a stink about it.

Edited by Philip
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

It’s human nature. Some people want the whole package and some people don’t care. If someone is a repellent jerk they will lose some votes. I think that’s probably what has kept Schilling out so far.

That and his politics. Since the HOF has turned into more of a place for very good players (IMHO) and I get that they need to put in players every year to keep the money rolling into town. I think Schilling should be in. I would rather have him pitch in a big game than ole' I did my job by giving my team a chance to win, Mike Mussina. 

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Going 21-6  at the age of 37, surely does help your team get into the playoffs.

I wonder if at 37, his arm was a bit worn out by the post season that year.

His ERA was over 4, ERA+ was 101. He was basically league average. On the same staff, Jimmy Key was probably better (better ERA, but worse FIP) and went 13-13. Juan Guzman was waaaaaay better and went 16-5. Wins are weird. He did pitch a ton of innings, which does have value. Maybe he pitched to the score ?

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Actually I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that comment and I think you for a reporter to approach someone who is naked, regardless of the genders, is pretty rudeActually I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that comment and I think you for a reporter to approach someone who is naked, regardless of the genders, is pretty rude

Wow.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think Morris was something like very good in 3 out of 4 WS, so I will give him a pass on his last Post season.

Not like he is Kershaw and sucks in every single post season.

IIRC Morris was a WS-MVP

6 minutes ago, makoman said:

His ERA was over 4, ERA+ was 101. He was basically league average. On the same staff, Jimmy Key was probably better (better ERA, but worse FIP) and went 13-13. Juan Guzman was waaaaaay better and went 16-5. Wins are weird. He did pitch a ton of innings, which does have value. Maybe he pitched to the score ?

His WAR disputes your assessment that he was league average. 2.8 WAR is not league average.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wow.

I remember when he made it, and at the time, it caused a pretty good ruckus, and we didnt have social media.

Personally, while offensive, its funny as well. But, I cant condone it.

Personally, I think no reporter should be in the locker room, until after the players shower, change and then can visit an interview room outside the locker room.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

His WAR disputes your assessment that he was league average. 2.8 WAR is not league average.

His ERA was 4.04, the league ERA was 3.94, his own team's ERA was 3.91. So that's about average. That's obviously what I meant since I was citing ERA+.

WAR is a counting stat, so doing an averageish job over 240 innings will help your WAR. I acknowledged that he pitched a ton of innings and that had value.

Edited by makoman
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, makoman said:

His ERA was 4.04, the league ERA was 3.94, his own team's ERA was 3.91. So that's about average. That's obviously what I meant since I was citing ERA+.

WAR is a counting stat, so doing an averageish job over 240 innings will help your WAR. I acknowledged that he pitched a ton of innings and that had value.

When you have 3 SPs with 2.8 or higher WAR, that will go along way to get you into the Post Season.

Sure, the Jays had big bats, but if you keep the bad guys from scoring more than you do, you usually win. :)

He wasnt the only arm on the team, but he had a role in their success.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, that reputation was mostly because of one start.

And, strangely, the Hall's rules specifically say you can't use a single game or instance (like Van Der Meer's back to back no hitters) as justification for induction.  But I guess a 10-inning post season win along with a 4.00 ERA gets you there.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

And, strangely, the Hall's rules specifically say you can't use a single game or instance (like Van Der Meer's back to back no hitters) as justification for induction.  But I guess a 10-inning post season win along with a 4.00 ERA gets you there.

I think the Morris election was the Vet's way of sticking it to the Sabermetric crowd.

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

That and his politics. Since the HOF has turned into more of a place for very good players (IMHO) and I get that they need to put in players every year to keep the money rolling into town. I think Schilling should be in. I would rather have him pitch in a big game than ole' I did my job by giving my team a chance to win, Mike Mussina. 

That’s a really hard choice, I really like Schilling, And even though he says some really stupid things, his politics don't really bother me. But I think I would probably want Mussina in a must win game.