Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

No -- please post it.

In Roch's blog yesterday...

Duquette was amused by a question related to whether he's talked to agent Scott Boras about an extension for Chen.

"We didn't need to have a discussion. We had an option," Duquette replied.

Oh, is that how Scott works? Does he usually sign his players to contract extensions the year they go to the free agent market? Interesting."

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone else see Boras' comments on Winters and Davis and think he had been possessed. He actually said he was confident something could be worked out with the Orioles and that both his players liked it here. That to me spells out that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we have been privy to.

You have a very different interpretation of what Boras said than I do.

Asked about possible extensions for Orioles clients and pending free agents Chris Davis and Matt Wieters, Boras said the following:

"I think there's a chance with all players. Dan (Duquette) and I talk a great deal. We obviously have to do their arbitration, annual contracts here soon. I think both players enjoy playing in Baltimore. They've been very successful there and we'll see what the future has to offer."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/boras-on-davis-wieters-and-chen.html

I don't see anything in that statement suggesting that Boras is "confident something could be worked out with the Orioles" for Wieters and Davis. He just didn't rule it out, and I wouldn't expect him to, in discussions with the media. That wouldn't serve his clients' interests, even if he has every intention of having them become free agents next winter.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2014/12/boras-on-davis-wieters-and-chen.html

I don't see anything in that statement suggesting that Boras is "confident something could be worked out with the Orioles" for Wieters and Davis. He just didn't rule it out, and I wouldn't expect him to, in discussions with the media. That wouldn't serve his clients' interests, even if he has every intention of having them become free agents next winter.

Bubble......burst.

Sadly good ol' Andy never won 70 games in any year he ran the Orioles. Nice catchy phrase though. Sounds thoughtful and intelligent.

That being said, I also prefer the results Dan has gotten so far. By a wide margin.

Yeah it was probably trading Matusz and Arrieta for quality players.

Boras could come out and straight up say, "I'm very confident that we can work out long term deals for both of those players with Baltimore in the next 10 months" and I still wouldn't believe him.

I didn't expect him to do anything at the Winter meetings. He never does. Losing Markakis and Cruz is huge. They were half our offense after Manny went down. Thinking we can replace them with garbage heap players is foolish. I expect we will lose Chen, Norris, Wieters and Davis next off-season. Maybe that is why DD wants off the merry-go-round now before things un-ravel.

Lost best power hitter and middle of the order threat. Check.

Lost leadoff hitter and solid every-day right fielder with Gold Glove. Check.

Lost best reliever. Check.

Obtained: Nothing.

:angryfire:

Amusing how we have a 92 page thread on the possibility of losing a GM who has done nothing. I or anyone else could do that for much less pay.

Boras could come out and straight up say, "I'm very confident that we can work out long term deals for both of those players with Baltimore in the next 10 months" and I still wouldn't believe him.

I think he would rather have players sign for peanuts in a year and a half at the all-star break than to sign an extension for big bucks with the Orioles. I think he is a bad agent for players. Edwin Jackson, Stephen Drew, and Kendrys Morales all got screwed by him. If I were Davis, Chen, and Wieters I would drop him and look for another agent.

The question "are you tired of the do nothing approach"? No. not at all. The Os won the division outright and it was due in large part to Dan Duquette's GM ability. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he has proven to be extremely competent at what he does.

Amusing how we have a 92 page thread on the possibility of losing a GM who has done nothing. I or anyone else could do that for much less pay.

I think his hands are somewhat tied. After Jiminez's performance last season Angelos isn't going to allow 4 year deals for anyone.

Archived