Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I've said before, we did BEYOND nothing last year until February, and it worked out pretty good. You're all boo hooing losing Cruz, but we didn't even sign him until February last year. So who's to say the 2015 "Cruz" won't be a castoff that is still available in February? Why do we have to "win the offseason" to make some people happy?

But if we don't do it now all the players will be gone! Gone!!!! We'll have to play a man down!

But if we don't do it now all the players will be gone! Gone!!!! We'll have to play a man down!

Most of the value outfielders ARE already gone. Look at this list and find who you want.

Mike Carp (29)- "he actually might be a value low risk pick"

Endy Chavez (37)-"the Endy reunion...yeah, baby!!"

Tyler Colvin (29)-"failed physical last year, two bad years in a row."

Chris Denorfia (34)- no

Andy Dirks (29)- no

Cole Gillespie (30)- no

Jonny Gomes (34)- Ha, ha.

Tony Gwynn Jr. (32)- no

Scott Hairston (35)- no

Reed Johnson (38)- no

Jason Kubel (33)- no

Ryan Ludwick (36)- no

Nyjer Morgan (34)- no

Mike Morse (33)- OK

Delmon Young (29)- I like Delmon!

Eric Young Jr. (30)- no

Right fielders

Nori Aoki (33)- not interested.

Endy Chavez (37)- no

Tyler Colvin (29)

Chris Denorfia (34)- no

Scott Hairston (35)- no

Alex Rios (34)- maybe on a one year deal

Nate Schierholtz (31)- n o

Ichiro Suzuki (41) C'mon you have to be kidding?

So, either DD works a trade (always a possibility), but from this group, there are virtually no options that are much better than going with Aza, Lough and Young as a right handed bat.

Most of the value outfielders ARE already gone. Look at this list and find who you want.

Mike Carp (29)- "he actually might be a value low risk pick"

Endy Chavez (37)-"the Endy reunion...yeah, baby!!"

Tyler Colvin (29)-"failed physical last year, two bad years in a row."

Chris Denorfia (34)- no

Andy Dirks (29)- no

Cole Gillespie (30)- no

Jonny Gomes (34)- Ha, ha.

Tony Gwynn Jr. (32)- no

Scott Hairston (35)- no

Reed Johnson (38)- no

Jason Kubel (33)- no

Ryan Ludwick (36)- no

Nyjer Morgan (34)- no

Mike Morse (33)- OK

Delmon Young (29)- I like Delmon!

Eric Young Jr. (30)- no

Right fielders

Nori Aoki (33)- not interested.

Endy Chavez (37)- no

Tyler Colvin (29)

Chris Denorfia (34)- no

Scott Hairston (35)- no

Alex Rios (34)- maybe on a one year deal

Nate Schierholtz (31)- n o

Ichiro Suzuki (41) C'mon you have to be kidding?

So, either DD works a trade (always a possibility), but from this group, there are virtually no options that are much better than going with Aza, Lough and Young as a right handed bat.

How is Colby Rasmus not on this list?

Who you got... I'll repeat I've got nobody

Rasmus, Aoki and Rios have already been mentioned.

Chris Denorfia is coming off a bad season, but that was at least partially impacted by playing his home games in the two worst hitters parks in baseball (Petco and Safeco). His fWAR from 2012 to 2014 was 1.6, 4.0, and 0.4 (2.0 fWAR avg.) compared to Cruz's 1.3, 1.2, and 1.5 from 2011 through 2013 (1.34 avg.). Emilio Bonafacio has been worth 0.4, 0.6, and 2.1 fWAR the past three season (1.03 avg.).

That's five outfielders who had comparable track records (using fWAR to compare) to Cruz before Cruz signed here. Most of them are potentially value for different reasons than Cruz was potentially valuable which I think is the issue. When people say "there is nobody left!" it seems to me they mean "there are no everyday power hitting outfielders left!". There are some potentially valuable players still out there.

Not to mention, guys like Morse and Young do not fit the above mentioned criteria but are still available and are potentially valuable pick ups.

Or we will be forced to play a guy who makes less than 6 million dollars a year in right field. Like De Aza. Who is a well compensated major league ballplayer. With equivalent statistics to the guy he is replacing.

Archived