Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand the "trust in Dan" approach to a degree and I think he is a good GM, however the success of the last few years is largely predicated on the rebuild undertaken by Andy Macphail. After this coming season 2/5 of the rotation will be free agents along with Davis and Weiters. I'm concerned that this approach will unravel at that point. Time will tell.

This is my concern

I prefer the results that Dan has gotten so far. The "just do something" approach backfires more often than not.

A few years ago Andy MacPhail noted at the end of a slow winter's meeting day, "We had the chance to do something stupid today, but chose no to do so." Winning the Winter meetings is fun and all, but I'd rather be winning April-Oct.

I believe DD made a similar comment once regarding why he hadn't yet made any trades. Something to the effect of: he could have traded Dylan Bundy and Manny Machado 6 times before the end of the day, but none of those moves would have benefited the Orioles.

Not sure if this is what I was thinking of (pretty sure it's a line I saw elsewhere as well), but here is something from Tony Soprano via a quick Google search that led me back to this site:

http://www.orioleshangout.com/blog/hangouters-highlights/455/hhp-my-lunch-with-dan-duquette

The difference in 2012 was the bullpen pitching. Buck had 5 or so pitchers he could go to in the bullpen with confidence. "We haven't traded any young pitching because we like them. I could have traded Dylan Bundy 15 times in the last week alone." Moving Tommy Hunter to the bullpen was another Bamberger type move. Back in the day pitchers got their start in the bullpen and worked their way to the bullpen. The whole bullpen is coming back.

Lost best power hitter and middle of the order threat. Check.

Lost leadoff hitter and solid every-day right fielder with Gold Glove. Check.

Lost best reliever. Check.

Obtained: Nothing.

:angryfire:

Its December 11th, so I'm not exactly upset right now.

That said, I am slightly agitated that we've done nothing. I am slightly agitated that a team like San Diego, the worst in the National League, has no problem dropping $70+ MILLION to pick up Kemp, while we balk at $57 for Cruz. Not that I think Cruz will be worth it, but he should be a decent player for 4 years.

I'm certainly not panicked, and we have a long way to go, but if we don't fill the holes of Nick and Cruz with decent replacements, then I may be a little perturbed.

This is my concern

But the 2/5 of the rotation who will be free agents were acquired by Duquette. In fact, Tillman is the only member of the rotation brought in by MacPhail, and Wieters was drafted before MacPhail arrived. Hardy, Davis, and Jones are the only remaining position starters who reached the majors while MacPhail was at the helm. Hardy and Jones are under contract for at least three more years.

Yeah cause our farm system is loaded with power hitters.:D

Why are you so hung up on power hitters? How many power hitters did Kansas City & San Francisco have?

Buster Posey led SF with an .854 OPS and KC had nobody over .800...

I realize I'm not really breaking any news here, but you're misguided.

Why are you so hung up on power hitters? How many power hitters did Kansas City & San Francisco have?

Most of the board seems to be hung up on power hitters.

I'm just wondering how much of the trust in DD is going to remain when we lose Weiters Davis and Chen next year

Hey the Orioles will get 3 draft picks so thats a win for us.

Those 2 teams had a ACE that can win big games in playoffs. Get back to me when the Orioles get one.

Two things.

1. You have to look at Hardy as a free agent signing.

2. Did anyone else see Boras' comments on Winters and Davis and think he had been possessed. He actually said he was confident something could be worked out with the Orioles and that both his players liked it here. That to me spells out that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than we have been privy to.

Part of my issue with threads such as this one stems from the fact that the front office is chided for "doing nothing," yet the OP never seems to be willing to post moves that have been made by other teams that we should have made. Do you believe, for instance, that signing Lester would be wise for the Orioles? Further, it's one thing to constantly bring up our departures, but would you have signed them at the deals they received? If the answer to those questions is a "yes," then at least we have something to discuss (which is good because this is a discussion board), but until there is some sort of suggestion or alternative plan put forth, it seems like complaining for complaining sake.

Also, side note, why does noone seem to acknowledge that those cheapskates who are trying to gut the team in the FO extended Hardy for a deal that pays 8 figures annually?

Archived