Anyone getting tired of the "do-nothing" approach???

PA724_Oriole

For me, its tough to get excited about any of these big signings, since pretty much every big free agent deal turns into a mistake. How many of these 100 million dollar deals actually pan out? The players are good for a couple years and then they become a contract the team wants to get rid of. I don't wanna bother with that stuff.

Same here. Like I wouldn't have wanted the O's to sign Lester for 6/150. That is just crazy right there.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me, its tough to get excited about any of these big signings, since pretty much every big free agent deal turns into a mistake. How many of these 100 million dollar deals actually pan out? The players are good for a couple years and then they become a contract the team wants to get rid of. I don't wanna bother with that stuff.

You totally miss the point.:rolleyes:This gives the OHers who complain about doing nothing ammunition to complain about these guys "stinking", what a dumb signing, etc in the future. They just reload and keep complaining.

I'm glad we have a front office that for the most part takes a pass when it comes to the glitz and glamour of the winter meetings, when talent is at a premium, and instead outworks the competition on a daily basis. The near constant churn of the roster means that Duquette & Co. are always looking to improve the team. The baseball season never ends for the front office. I'm happy we've got a good one.

There have been 50 contracts of $100 mm+, including the ones so far this winter. My breakdown of the successes and failures can be found here: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138492-47-Players-topping-100-million-dollar-contract?p=3703655#post3703655

There have been 50 contracts of $100 mm+, including the ones so far this winter. My breakdown of the successes and failures can be found here: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138492-47-Players-topping-100-million-dollar-contract?p=3703655#post3703655

Nice list. I think however there are two kinds of success, individual vs team. Did the signing of a large contract improve their team enough to make it to the playoffs? If the team doesn't improve, I think its a poor use of resources.

Nice list. I think however there are two kinds of success, individual vs team. Did the signing of a large contract improve their team enough to make it to the playoffs? If the team doesn't improve, I think its a poor use of resources.

I agree with you. You might judge CC Sabathia's original 7/$161 mm deal differently from Cliff Lee's 5/$125 mm. Lee has been slightly better on a $/WAR basis, but the Phillies have stunk while Sabathia helped win a World Series and helped the Yanks reach the playoffs three other times.

Do nothing? But today is the BIG day! The Rule 5 pick that will turn the ship around:)

It's easy to pile on the original poster. I understand his frustration. Given the HUGE pieces we lost coupled with this Blue Jays stuff, it would have been nice to see at least one hole addressed by now.

I like DD and think he is an above average GM but blind allegiance is a dangerous thing in this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand the "trust in Dan" approach to a degree and I think he is a good GM, however the success of the last few years is largely predicated on the rebuild undertaken by Andy Macphail. After this coming season 2/5 of the rotation will be free agents along with Davis and Weiters. I'm concerned that this approach will unravel at that point. Time will tell.

This argument has been made for the last three years. Eventually DD has to get some credit.

Two of the guys OP is complaining about losing were brought in by Duquette last year.

Miller was a rental. It was never realistic to replace him. The most realistic option is another rental trade if we are in contention.

Markakis is a 1-2 WAR corner OF. We can find someone to replace that production internally.

I agree we need a bat to replace Cruz, but outside of V-Mart there aren't many guys out there.

This is a good list. I'm assuming you used the price of a win and multiplied it by WAR and compared it to the contract. Or maybe you factored in the change of value of a win over the course of each contract--if so, good on you, that would have taken a lot of time. My question is about the value of a win. Should it be linear or should it be I a curve? For example, let's say fangraphs says a win is worth $6M. Player A has 1 WAR, and Player B has 7WAR. Should we view these values as $6M and $42M, or should Player B be worth more than 42 because the value of wins 6 and 7 are more valuable than wins 2 and 3?

I'm a C student in statistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's todays baseball not gonna change anytime soon. Can't be scared all the time cause something may or may not work out.

Lost best power hitter and middle of the order threat. Check.

Lost leadoff hitter and solid every-day right fielder with Gold Glove. Check.

Lost best reliever. Check.

Obtained: Nothing.

:angryfire:

I'm not really upset we haven't made any moves because of our recent success doing so, but these are good points, we haven't had to respond to losing pieces like this before. Yes guys have gone down do to injury or suspension, but we haven't willingly gone into the season with lesser guys on the field, this year we might just be doing that. That's risky especially considering chances are the team won't be healthy all year leaving the team crossing their fingers for career years.

You can't trade the entire farm away, or spend $150 million, but something must be done, maybe not right this moment but soon

Archived