Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

As noted previously, I think folks are getting way to wound-up and reading way too much into the "MLB has contacted Baltimore about Duquette situation" snippet of info...
...maybe Morosi’s sources are simply trying to walk back some of the talk that this is what they want. It doesn’t exactly look great for the integrity of the game to have it believed that the league is picking and choosing the executives for its member clubs, especially when that involves forcibly moving someone from one team to another.

I can see that.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is contacting them, and there is pushing them as Olney reported

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Have heard this from other teams: Why is MLB pushing Toronto's pursuit of Dan Duquette, who is under contract with the Orioles?</p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

However, MLB doesn't want to get involved in the discussion of compensation

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Update on Dan Duquette: MLB not actively involved in discussing terms of deal between <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a>, source says.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">January 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's a little hard to know just what role MLB has been playing. I don't think MLB has, or believes it has, any legal basis to force the Orioles to give up Duquette. More likely, they have been using persuasion, or perhaps serving as an intermediary regarding compensation. I do think they should just stay out of it, especially considering the issues regarding MLB and MASN.

It's a little hard to know just what role MLB has been playing. I don't think MLB has, or believes it has, any legal basis to force the Orioles to give up Duquette. More likely, they have been using persuasion, or perhaps serving as an intermediary regarding compensation. I do think they should just stay out of it, especially considering the issues regarding MLB and MASN.

Hypothetically, I don't see the issue with contacting (1) to clarify rules as to compensation, and (2) encourage responsiveness to inquiries made by another team.

Hypothetically, I don't see the issue with contacting (1) to clarify rules as to compensation, and (2) encourage responsiveness to inquiries made by another team.

Why should MLB be concerned with the responsiveness of the Orioles? If they don't respond, it seems a clear indication they're not interested. Any nudging by MLB reeks of impropriety.

Why should MLB be concerned with the responsiveness of the Orioles? If they don't respond, it seems a clear indication they're not interested. Any nudging by MLB reeks of impropriety.

Well, that's wrong on a lot of levels. Commissioner's office is the nexus for owner-relations, and this is an ownership-level issue. I might agree with you if we were talking about a player trade proposal, but that's not what this is. But your reading is why I am not surprised that some people are really fired-up -- I think it is a misunderstanding as to the nature of these communications (my own opinion).

Hypothetically, were Baltimore trying to make a decision as to a front office job and that decision hinged on finding out whether or not a particular candidate were available to interview, something tells me you would be a loud voice complaining if the other team was non-responsive rather than engaging in a dialogue to let Baltimore know one way or the other whether or not there is a deal to be made. Put another way, if the word was that Baltimore wanted to interview a candidate from another org and that org's response was "we will get back to you with regards to the compensation we are looking for" and then no formal proposal ever came, something tells me you wouldn't have an issue with someone in the commissioner's office (who has a relationship with both owners) reaching out and saying "John Doe really needs to make a decision on this front -- do you think you might be in a position to push this thing forward sometime soon?"

Well, that's wrong on a lot of levels. Commissioner's office is the nexus for owner-relations, and this is an ownership-level issue. I might agree with you if we were talking about a player trade proposal, but that's not what this is. But your reading is why I am not surprised that some people are really fired-up -- I think it is a misunderstanding as to the nature of these communications (my own opinion).

Hypothetically, were Baltimore trying to make a decision as to a front office job and that decision hinged on finding out whether or not a particular candidate were available to interview, something tells me you would be a loud voice complaining if the other team was non-responsive rather than engaging in a dialogue to let Baltimore know one way or the other whether or not there is a deal to be made. Put another way, if the word was that Baltimore wanted to interview a candidate from another org and that org's response was "we will get back to you with regards to the compensation we are looking for" and then no formal proposal ever came, something tells me you wouldn't have an issue with someone in the commissioner's office (who has a relationship with both owners) reaching out and saying "John Doe really needs to make a decision on this front -- do you think you might be in a position to push this thing forward sometime soon?"

Peter Angelos has been very clear. Dan Duquette is under contract and not available. If you want to make an offer the O's will listen. Balls in the Blue Jays court. Commissioner's office should have no problem with that. Its between the two clubs.

So, what is it that tells you I'd be a loud voice complaining?

I really have no problem with DD being interviewed. What I have a problem with is how this has happened. Instead of moving on this after the WS, they wait until the day before the winter meetings and start leaking things to the press. Then try to get MLB involved when, presumably, Angelos told them to pound sand. After Angelos adamantly insisted that DD will honor his contract, what reason does MLB have to further push the issue, especially through the press? Combine this with everything that has come out about the MASN arbitration process and the Commissioner's office doesn't have a lot of credibility here. Seeing that, you would think that would be enough for them to back off.

From the reports we have, it's not even clear that this "discussion" is at the ownership level. Ed Rogers appears nowhere on the Blue Jays' front office organization chart, so this has not been an ordinary request from one management team to another. For all we know, this is a wildcat exercise, so I'm not sure what the Commissioner's proper role is.

The bluejays and MLB are going to pressure PETER ANGELOS? Ha! If they try to squeeze him, then I could see Peter digging in his heals and telling them both to you know what.

Peter Angelos is a successful businessman in addition to an accomplished lawyer.

Yeah, I have to disagree here. Any contact is wrong contact. They are litigants.

From the reports we have, it's not even clear that this "discussion" is at the ownership level. Ed Rogers appears nowhere on the Blue Jays' front office organization chart, so this has not been an ordinary request from one management team to another. For all we know, this is a wildcat exercise, so I'm not sure what the Commissioner's proper role is.

Ed Rogers is trying to use his stockholder status to wrest control of the Blue Jays and Rogers Centre through Dan Duquette.

Archived