Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Dipoto wasn't. Hey, it's ok that we disagree, you just won't change my mind. I not the type to talk after someone has bloodied my mouth.

The O's requested and received permission from the D'Backs to interview Dipoto. I didn't figure I would change your mind. I took a crash course in ignorance as a kid and often thought it was a sound strategy to take on the whole bar when someone sucker punched me, which I think is what happened to the O's in the MASN stuff. However, experience has taught me to pick my battles and attempt to minimize collateral damage.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The O's requested and received permission from the D'Backs to interview Dipoto. I didn't figure I would change your mind. I took a crash course in ignorance as a kid and often thought it was a sound strategy to take on the whole bar when someone sucker punched me, which I think is what happened to the O's in the MASN stuff. However, experience has taught me to pick my battles and attempt to minimize collateral damage.

Are you certain Jerry was still under contract? It was my impression that he was not. Ah, yes. He was interim. They had not given him the job.

Byrnes was fired on July 1, 2010 and Dipoto was named interim General Manager.[1] On September 22, Kevin Towers was named the new Diamondbacks General Manager. Dipoto was offered the opportunity to remain with the Diamondbacks.[2]

On October 28, 2011, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced Dipoto would be their next general manager, replacing Tony Reagins.[3]

Of course Wikipedia may be wrong too.

I do think yours is a strong life strategy. I am old and cranky enough to ignore most battles. But the MASN one is worth fighting.

I look at this as a win-win situation for the Orioles. All they have to do is get a top prospect in compensation, as they pretend that Duquette is really good. Then they go out and get down on one knee and Beg Andy to come home, and let the real architect of this winning team take the reigns again. That's a win-win my friends. I think I will get out my best sweater vest to go out to dinner tonight.:2yay-thumb:

I look at this as a win-win situation for the Orioles. All they have to do is get a top prospect in compensation, as they pretend that Duquette is really good. Then they go out and get down on one knee and Beg Andy to come home, and let the real architect of this winning team take the reigns again. That's a win-win my friends. I think I will get out my best sweater vest to go out to dinner tonight.:2yay-thumb:

Andy does not like it here. Andy would be great with that vest in Canada though.

I'd be fine with this if getting MacPhail back were possible. But if not, losing Duq would be a huge loss in my book. Regardless, there's no sense in keeping him if he doesn't want to be here.

I do think yours is a strong life strategy. I am old and cranky enough to ignore most battles. But the MASN one is worth fighting.

You absolutely have to fight the MASN fight. But I don't know that you let it bleed into other aspects of running the franchise. Also, have to be careful to avoid conduct outside the MASN fight potentially tainting your results there. I want the club to retain DD, but I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to pursue an opportunity that our club is unable or unwilling to afford him. Buck routinely speaks of the O's as a destination franchise where we can "out opportunity" other clubs. That theory should not end at the 40 man roster. We should want to be seen as a desirable destination for up and coming executive types while having positive recommendations and relationships from employees that have taken opportunities elsewhere. If he wants to put in for a promotional opportunity, I'd rather DD leave with a fondness for his tenure with the O's than be disgruntled at being denied an opportunity elsewhere. Dan's a pro and will do his job, but he's also human.

FYI

The Diamondbacks have given permission to the Baltimore Orioles to interview Jerry DiPoto as part of their search for a new general manager, according to a report on CBSSports.com

http://scott-miller.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/32706190

You absolutely have to fight the MASN fight. But I don't know that you let it bleed into other aspects of running the franchise. Also, have to be careful to avoid conduct outside the MASN fight potentially tainting your results there. I want the club to retain DD, but I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to pursue an opportunity that our club is unable or unwilling to afford him. Buck routinely speaks of the O's as a destination franchise where we can "out opportunity" other clubs. That theory should not end at the 40 man roster. We should want to be seen as a desirable destination for up and coming executive types while having positive recommendations and relationships from employees that have taken opportunities elsewhere. If he wants to put in for a promotional opportunity, I'd rather DD leave with a fondness for his tenure with the O's than be disgruntled at being denied an opportunity elsewhere. Dan's a pro and will do his job, but he's also human.

FYI

http://scott-miller.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/32706190

This is a great post.

How could it be a win-win for the Orioles if all MacPhail did was lose-lose?

How could it be a win-win for the Orioles if all MacPhail did was lose-lose?

True, but MacPhail made some huge improvements to our team that helped us eventually become a winner. He pretty much built the core of this team by trading Bedard for Jones and Tillman, trading for Hardy, among other moves.

ESPN has never had issue with posting snippets from insider pieces, as long as you don't post articles wholesale and provide a link to the work. But whatever, boss.

This is newsworthy only because I think most people, myself included, assumed this issue was dead in the water, at least for this year, because of a couple reports about Beeston staying on another year at least.

Olney saying "In spite of that declarative statement, however, this situation has legs" and stating that MLB is pushing for a deal suggests otherwise.

If Major League baseball is pushing for DD to get a chance to leave it has even less chance of happening. Peter Angelos will not be bullied. If DD doesn't want fufill his contract he shouldn't have signed it. At this point I would say if DD is pushing for this so hard Angelos should make him the team's Russian scout for the next 4 years. It is becoming tiresome.

True, but MacPhail made some huge improvements to our team that helped get us eventually become a winner. He pretty much built the core of this team by trading Bedard for Jones and Tillman, trading for Hardy, among other moves.

By the Core you mean one of the team six starters.

True, but MacPhail made some huge improvements to our team that helped get us eventually become a winner. He pretty much built the core of this team by trading Bedard for Jones and Tillman, trading for Hardy, among other moves.

I agree with everything you say about AM and I will always be grateful for his contributions to the club and, especially, how he was able to convince PA to change course. However, I'm not sure AM is the right person for the job not that the franchise is a solid contender.

Archived