De we look to sign Johan Santana to a minor league deal again

xian4

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

In July, I stated my feelings about bringing Santana back in 2015, after I had stated why I wanted to try to bring Wada back on the relative cheap in 2014:

Last year, when Wada was still with us, I wanted us to bring him back on the (relative) cheap for 2014 ....... about $1 Million, maybe $1.5 Million.

When his 60-day rehab stint ended last year, Wada "played ball" with us by agreeing to continue pitching at AAA-Norfolk because it was clear that he was still not yet ready for the majors, even though he could have forced the issue, and made a pain in the ass of himself about it by insisting that he be put on the 25-man roster, or released outright.

Considering that, and also the fact that WE DID pay him a little over $8 Million for never throwing a single pitch in the majors, I was hoping that he and Duquette would come to some sort of compromise/agreement in which we did not have to pick up his $5 Million option, but still paid him a reasonably good salary (between $1 Million and $1.5 Million) to stay with the team.

I am also hopeful (and have stated several times) that I would like Duquette and company to consider hanging onto and resigning Johan Santana again for the 2015 season for similar reasons. And again, on the relative cheap (perhaps another minor league contract similar to the one that we signed him to this year, with modest bonuses that he could acquire should he make the major league team and/or pitch a certain amount of innings for the Orioles.)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/142264-Wada-is-starting-tomorrow-for-the-Cubs/page2?highlight=Johan+Santana

I still feel the same way.

I'm not overly upset that we didn't try to make some type of compromise/agreement with Wada that would have brought him back with us for the 2014 season because of the fact that our overall starting pitching wound up being more than adequate without him, but I thought that it would have been worth it if it were for no more than $1.5 Million.

And I feel the same way (for the same reasons) about Santana in 2015.

I am always glad to see other fans use "we". I do it and I am not apologetic about it.

When you invest as much as we do (us fans) in the team, only seems natural to use "we". The team is an extension of me just like it is for you.

Now what is this "should should" ba9 is going on about?

[emoji16]

If he is willing to sign a MiL deal then you absolutely do it. I can't be sure that he will choose the O's over other teams but you gotta try. He could be a very nice surprise with no risk

I would hope he'd consider us again.

Do we look to sign Johan Santana to a minor league deal? Why do so many people on this forum talk like this? It's "should we" look to sign Johan Santana to a minor league deal, not "do we."

Haha this post cracks me up. Well done. For making me crack up, that is. I do like to crack up now and then. Crack up as in laugh, you know. I do hope you get my meaning.

There's not a whole lot of opportunity. We've six suitable starters and some depth.

If he's still rehabbing and working his way back, let him do it in our minor league system. You're likely right, out pitching opportunities aren't what they once were, but I'd love the flexibility / insurance with him in our system if we deal a starter.

I suppose there's still time.

If he's still rehabbing and working his way back, let him do it in our minor league system. You're likely right, out pitching opportunities aren't what they once were, but I'd love the flexibility / insurance with him in our system if we deal a starter.

I suppose there's still time.

Left Handed.

Archived