Orioles Sign Delmon Young - 1 Year Deal

SticksandStones

If Young plays more then 40 games in the OF in 2015 we got problems.

We might have trouble if he starts more than that as a DH. Only 39 games was he used by Buck in that role as a starter. He may be exposed otherwise and was probably why they wanted a one year deal. If they have to use him it will help if they can limit his innings and appearances. Buck was pretty good at it last year. Let's hope there's not a need to see more of him this year and we get similar production.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit confused why this move is unanimously applauded. I'm not against it--indifferent more like--but a guy who OPS'd .779 in platoon duty, who offers little OBP skills, who is a very poor defender, who was very likely playing above his head (BABIP stats), doesn't exactly strike me as something to be excited about. I daresay there was probably a better option out on the market as a RH half of a platoon split. But oh well. He does seem quite liked in the clubhouse and fits well into the team, so definitely not complaining either, just a bit confused at the universal approval of the deal.

I'm a bit confused why this move is unanimously applauded. I'm not against it--indifferent more like--but a guy who OPS'd .779 in platoon duty, who offers little OBP skills, who is a very poor defender, who was very likely playing above his head (BABIP stats), doesn't exactly strike me as something to be excited about. I daresay there was probably a better option out on the market as a RH half of a platoon split. But oh well. He does seem quite liked in the clubhouse and fits well into the team, so definitely not complaining either, just a bit confused at the universal approval of the deal.

They did something! They signed someone we have heard of! He hit a clutch double in the postseason!

With Buck picking the spots where Delmon could help last year he hit for 337 OBP. On a team that is probably about 305 OBP without Delmon, that is improvement.

Yeah, I'm not really doing cartwheels or anything, but Young can hit LHP pretty well at the very least and the contract is low cost/risk. Also that 779 OPS was good for a 120 OPS+ exposed to a lot of RHP. When you take into account the decline on offense, that is pretty damn good. Buck did match him up pretty well last year. I'm expecting a decline but perhaps the tighter strike zone plays into Delmon's strengths a little bit. He's a hacker but he doesn't necessarily swing at crap either and he will hit the ball the other way.

Yeah, I'm not really doing cartwheels or anything, but Young can hit LHP pretty well at the very least and the contract is low cost/risk. Also that 779 OPS was good for a 120 OPS+ exposed to a lot of RHP. When you take into account the decline on offense, that is pretty damn good. Buck did match him up pretty well last year. I'm expecting a decline but perhaps the tighter strike zone plays into Delmon's strengths a little bit. He's a hacker but he doesn't necessarily swing at crap either and he will hit the ball the other way.

What did I miss?

I like the deal. I think Delmon will have a good year for us because Buck knows exactly how to use his skills.

That's how I see it. He's a good complement to De Aza and Lough. Yes, he'll have to play the field occasionally, but not too often, and it's not like Cruz was Alex Gordon out there.

Archived