Does the Machado brother-in-law factor matter?

Just Regular

While OF/DH types Smith, Venable and Quentin fit our depth chart better, Alonso is also squeezed for playing time, nevermind the fact that the San Diego media's speculation is that Davis is the Oriole they like.

As part of a long game of extending Machado through his prime, is the soft factor of having Alonso of any value?

2015/2016/2017 are Alonso's arb seasons, so he has three seasons of control remaining to Davis's one. His terrible seeming 240/285/397, adjusted for 2014 offense levels and Petco, came out to a 97 OPS+. I guess I'd say that's just bad, as opposed to terrible.

If you squint for the good, he bumped his ISO to .157. He has the draft pedigree. He struck out "only" about twice as often as he walked, which would have made him better than anyone but Markakis on last year's team, and his SO/BB ratio has been even better in the past.

On the other hand, he's never been more than a 1.5 win player.

If we gave the Padres Davis, we could probably have almost whatever we wanted out of the excess of their major league depth chart. What would you say to Davis for Alonso, Quentin and the winner of the Smith/Venable poll?

There's a recent cautionary tale with the Braves and the Uptons.

For the theoretical Machado familia benefit, it could also go bad if Alonso can't hold his own as a regular you can live with during his arb years. As an org we've seen that when having to move on from Cal, Sr. as manager. I imagine the Padres are trying to sell us Alonso in pursuit of Davis - anyone buying?

While OF/DH types Smith, Venable and Quentin fit our depth chart better, Alonso is also squeezed for playing time, nevermind the fact that the San Diego media's speculation is that Davis is the Oriole they like.

As part of a long game of extending Machado through his prime, is the soft factor of having Alonso of any value?

2015/2016/2017 are Alonso's arb seasons, so he has three seasons of control remaining to Davis's one. His terrible seeming 240/285/397, adjusted for 2014 offense levels and Petco, came out to a 97 OPS+. I guess I'd say that's just bad, as opposed to terrible.

If you squint for the good, he bumped his ISO to .157. He has the draft pedigree. He struck out "only" about twice as often as he walked, which would have made him better than anyone but Markakis on last year's team, and his SO/BB ratio has been even better in the past.

On the other hand, he's never been more than a 1.5 win player.

If we gave the Padres Davis, we could probably have almost whatever we wanted out of the excess of their major league depth chart. What would you say to Davis for Alonso, Quentin and the winner of the Smith/Venable poll?

There's a recent cautionary tale with the Braves and the Uptons.

For the theoretical Machado familia benefit, it could also go bad if Alonso can't hold his own as a regular you can live with during his arb years. As an org we've seen that when having to move on from Cal, Sr. as manager. I imagine the Padres are trying to sell us Alonso in pursuit of Davis - anyone buying?

I would pass and keep Davis for 2015, although it is an interesting idea. But "It could also go bad" if Alonso's marriage happened to go south, lol. We might turn into a new reality show.

My hope is they just keep Davis. We've seen what he is capable of offensively and he is no slouch defensively either. He gives us power from the left side which is otherwise completely absent from the lineup. He can play the corners in both the infield and outfield. He is too valuable to sell low on.

My hope is they just keep Davis. We've seen what he is capable of offensively and he is no slouch defensively either. He gives us power from the left side which is otherwise completely absent from the lineup. He can play the corners in both the infield and outfield. He is too valuable to sell low on.

Yea not sure where the idea that we should move him because the padres want him if were not going to get full value comes from...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived