Daily News: MLB Puts Ponzi Linked Owner, who nearly lost his club

weams

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a twisted way, the Tates, the LaBiancas, the Folgers, etc. will always be linked with the Manson family.

I understand what you are saying, though. ;)

I see your point as well. I like Ponzi linked for my purpose though. There is more than enough smoke to separate Wilpon from Sharon Tate and her baby.

Ponzi linked, to me, suggests something nefarious, like Madoff himself. If your grandma had been bilked by Madoff would you refer to her as "Ponzi linked"?

Whether you accept Wilpon's complicity or not with Bernie Madoff, he absolutely ran a MLB team for 15 years off the profits derived by Bernie. ANd not good financial sense.

I ........ didn't really have a point.

I was making a half-serious, half-kidding analogy in regard to RZNJ's question.

No, I can see why Ponzi Linked and Murder Linked would be bad terms when applied to victims with no accusation of involvement of the crime. I express my disdain well before conviction, and that is what RZ is appropriately calling me on. In the case mentioned, a settlement of treble damages that require the sale of controlling interest in the team sufficed for a conviction in my and most of the world's opinion.

I think you are a good guy. I love that you love the O's and post on here as much as you do. You make this place enjoyable for me. You make tons of posts I agree with. I wouldn't say I don't trust you. I just think you tend to take a biased view on some things. You could be 100% right on Wilpon and MLB. Let me put it this way. Frobby is probably the most balanced and objective (unless it deals with Nick Markakis) poster that I can think of. He may have started a thread like this. Do you think he would have worded the OP and titled it anything like you did?

Not even close. And I agree about Frobby. I am not he.

I think you are a good guy. I love that you love the O's and post on here as much as you do. You make this place enjoyable for me. You make tons of posts I agree with. I wouldn't say I don't trust you. I just think you tend to take a biased view on some things. You could be 100% right on Wilpon and MLB. Let me put it this way. Frobby is probably the most balanced and objective (unless it deals with Nick Markakis) poster that I can think of. He may have started a thread like this. Do you think he would have worded the OP and titled it anything like you did?

The purpose of me wording it that way is precisely for the reason of calling attention to an MLB debacle. A Manfred debacle. The discovery of his emails, the involvement with Ed Rogers and Randy Levine, and this assignment count as three strikes for me. And he is not even out of the box.

I ........ didn't really have a point.

I was making a half-serious, half-kidding analogy in regard to RZNJ's question.

I prefer the term quasi-facetious. I makes some people do weird faces when they hear it. Kind of like the face I would make if I ever saw a single Oriole pitcher throw a no hitter.

So, the guy trying to hire Duquette doesn't have the authority to hire him?

?Under new Rogers boss Guy Laurence, both Edward Rogers and his sister Melinda have been removed from the day-to-day operations of Rogers Communications even though they are major share holders in the company.?

Bob Elliott

Weams: Would you describe Peter Angelos as "linked to the tobacco industry"? "Linked to asbestos poisoning"? "Rich from blood money earned from (insert tobacco or asbestos here)"?

I'm not a big fan of mega-wealthy people in general, but you seem to be posting anything you can to slander.

Weams: Would you describe Peter Angelos as "linked to the tobacco industry"? "Linked to asbestos poisoning"? "Rich from blood money earned from (insert tobacco or asbestos here)"?

I'm not a big fan of mega-wealthy people in general, but you seem to be posting anything you can to slander.

I think he has been described in many publications as each of those. Yes.

Guest rochester

I am just waiting for the thread on Manfred. I do not know much about this guy but, from what I have read, this is just another decision that reeks of something. Next thing you know, the owners that didn't vote for him will be audited. Maybe something will leak about him regarding the O's - res ipsa loquitur ... then PA can sue and see what he finds in discovery.

I might use that one.

Archived