Set up perfectly for a new G.M.?

Bahama O's Fan

If DD leaves (and I hope he doesn't) at the end of this season, are we set up perfectly for a new GM? There is no major salaries hanging over his head that would limit his ability. I believe we only have about 60 million on the books for 2016? We have a starting rotation of: Tillman, Jiminez, Gausman, Gonzalez and Bundy(hopefully) with some other options in the minors. Our bullpen will only need to resign or replace Oday. He would then need to find a: C, 1B, LF and RF. If our payroll is 130mil, that gives him 70mil to play with.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) 16.3m Jones - CF

2) 13m Jimenez - SP1

3) 12.5m Hardy - SS

4) 9m Tillman - SP2

5) 7.5m Gonzalez - SP3

6) 6m Britton - RP1

7) 7m Machado - 3B

8) 3m Arencibia - C (shared)

8) 2.4m Yoon - RP (starts in the minors)

9) 2m Flaherty - UIF

10) 1.5m Vladimir Guerrero (deferred compensation)

11) .53m Gausman - SP4

12) .53m McFarland - RP2

13) .52m Schoop - 2B

14) .52m Joseph - C (shared)

15) .52m Brach - RP3

16) .52m Lough - OF

17) .52m Garcia - RP4

18) .51m Bundy - SP5

19) .51m Hassan - OF/DH

20) .51m Walker - DH

21) .51m Alvarez - RF

22) .51m Wright - RP5

23) .51m T Berry - RP6

Sub Total 86.12m of earned salary

Minus 2.25m deferred from Jimenez

Minus 2m deferred from Hardy(best guess)

Total 82.17m salaries to be paid in 2016

130m-82.17 = 47.83m

It has been reported the 6.5M of Hardy's contract is deferred but no word yet on how it is distributed of the contract term.

Signing bonuses are shown in the year they are paid. Performance bonuses are not included.

Need a 1B, LF, set-up man

Next year's FA class is weak, so I don't envy the job of whoever the GM is next Fall/Winter trying to replace up to 11 free agents with the money available. Don't forget that Machado will eligible for arbitration, with Tillman, Gonzalez and Britton due sizeable raises in arbitrtation and Jones ($3 mm), Jimenez (.$75 mm) and Hardy ($1 mm).

By the way, contrary to what some have said, Brian Matusz is not a free agent after this season. He has 4.156 years of service time, so even though this is his third year of arbitration, he is still under team control for one more year, should the O's choose to keep him. That may explain why he wasn't non-tendered this time.

Next year's FA class is weak, so I don't envy the job of whoever the GM is next Fall/Winter trying to replace up to 11 free agents with the money available. Don't forget that Machado will eligible for arbitration, with Tillman, Gonzalez and Britton due sizeable raises in arbitrtation and Jones ($3 mm), Jimenez (.$75 mm) and Hardy ($1 mm).

By the way, contrary to what some have said, Brian Matusz is not a free agent after this season. He has 4.156 years of service time, so even though this is his third year of arbitration, he is still under team control for one more year, should the O's choose to keep him. That may explain why he wasn't non-tendered this time.

He will still be gone.

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) 16.3m Jones - CF

2) 13m Jimenez - SP1

3) 12.5m Hardy - SS

4) 9m Tillman - SP2

5) 7.5m Gonzalez - SP3

6) 6m Britton - RP1

7) 7m Machado - 3B

9) 2m Flaherty - UIF

All the bolded ones seem high to me. It is not typical for Arb 2 guys to get double what they got in Arb 1, and I doubt Machado starts at $7 mm in Arb 1. Trout is getting $6.1 mm this year; Harper is getting $5 mm next year. Put it this way, if those guys get the salaries you've projected, that will be great news for us, because it will mean they were outstanding in 2015.

You may be right, I'll worry about it after we see what kind of season he has. We certainly have the option of keeping him or jettisoning him.

I do believe with Top End Free Agency becoming a suckers bet, that the team will take the opportunity to out opportunity other teams once again.

All the bolded ones seem high to me. It is not typical for Arb 2 guys to get double what they got in Arb 1, and I doubt Machado starts at $7 mm in Arb 1. Trout is getting $6.1 mm this year; Harper is getting $5 mm next year. Put it this way, if those guys get the salaries you've projected, that will be great news for us, because it will mean they were outstanding in 2015.

They are all guesses. Pick your own numbers. Your guess is a good or better than mine.

If the team is not contending at the break, I expect we will trade some of the pending free agents for near-ready prospects and MLB players who can be penciled in for 2016.

With some of them you have to weigh the prospect return with the draft pick compensation. Not an easy task.

With some of them you have to weigh the prospect return with the draft pick compensation. Not an easy task.

He means trading other than Wieters, Chen, Norris, Davis I think. Because after the season starts to trade any of them midseason with the possible exception of Norris makes little sense. The pick would be the best value compensation. Though you do take the risk of continued health that way I guess.

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) 16.3m Jones - CF

2) 13m Jimenez - SP1

3) 12.5m Hardy - SS

4) 9m Tillman - SP2

5) 7.5m Gonzalez - SP3

6) 6m Britton - RP1

7) 7m Machado - 3B

9) 2m Flaherty - UIF

10) 1.5m Vladimir Guerrero (deferred compensation)

11) .53m Gausman - SP4

12) .53m McFarland - RP2

13) .52m Schoop - 2B

14) .52m Joseph - C (shared)

15) .52m Brach - RP3

16) .52m Lough - OF

17) .52m Garcia - RP4

18) .51m Bundy - SP5

19) .51m Hassan - OF/DH

20) .51m Walker - DH

21) .51m Alvarez - RF

22) .51m Wright - RP5

23) .51m T Berry - RP6

Sub Total 86.12m of earned salary

Minus 2.25m deferred from Jimenez

Minus 2m deferred from Hardy(best guess)

Total 82.17m salaries to be paid in 2016

130m-82.17 = 47.83m

It has been reported the 6.5M of Hardy's contract is deferred but no word yet on how it is distributed of the contract term.

Signing bonuses are shown in the year they are paid. Performance bonuses are not included.

Need a 1B, LF, set-up man

Thanks for numbers; I had forgot about the Guerrero deferred salary and didn't consider arbitration. That's still not bad if Alvarez can take over RF and Walker and Hassan can manage the DH position. We should be able to get a 1B for 15 million, a setup man for 5 million and LF for 20 million. That still gives us another 7 million to fill other gaps.

A new GM will certainly have some payroll flexibility. But can ou imagine if we signed someone like John Hart to set the course for the future. It makes me shudder to think about such a possibility. The othe aspect of a new GM coming in is the June draft. I think the O's have five picks among the first 100 selections. Very important that this draft is a success. This and who the GM selects to sign for extentions are critical decisions in the upcoming months. I wouldn't mind if Duquette were around for another year just to do those two things.

Archived