Why is Ricky Weeks Still a FA?

Camden_yardbird

Isn't this exactly the kind of guy the Orioles should be looking at? He knows how to get on base, has some power, could play second, and at this point in the off season is probably fairly cheap.

I bet he could even play some OF if you asked him to.

Apparently (I don't have a link) Weeks has told teams he is ONLY interested in playing 2B, which could be limiting his market.

He's a strict platoon guy at this point in his career, but I'd love to sign him on a MiL deal as 2B insurance, and like you said- teach him some OF if he is willing.

Wow, the fact that he had a .800 OPS at 2B is very impressive. The fact that he still managed to get a negative WAR rating......seems odd. Surely if he was that bad defensively they wouldn't keep using him there?

Not like they could DH him.

You going to risk putting him elsewhere when he has only played second his whole MLB career and reportedly doesn't appear interested learning to play somewhere else?

I believe he originally came up with the Brewers as a shortstop and getting him playing time was one of the reasons they traded JJ. Ricky lives in Orlando and my company is building him a really nice home - super nice guy.

Weeks hasn't played a single inning of shortstop in his major or minor league career. He's exclusively a second baseman.

Wow, the fact that he had a .800 OPS at 2B is very impressive. The fact that he still managed to get a negative WAR rating......seems odd. Surely if he was that bad defensively they wouldn't keep using him there?

Well you'd think so, but than again Derek Jeter. I mean yeah extreme case, but still.

Archived