O's Interested in Juan Uribe

Ven6

You do realize that you can hit .290 and be nearly useless, right? It's possible to hit .290 and put fewer runs on the board than someone who hit .190.

Unless you are the NY Yankees most teams aren't going to have "run producers" at every spot in the lineup. However, there is also a need for guys to set the table or get on base. 290 is a lot better than 190 when it comes to doing that. Some of you (hate to say it but you seem to fit the category) seem to assume that LH is a 190 hitter. Why don't you just let him have an opportunity first before writing him off. Just like some prospects do well in the minors and miserably at the major league level (Ryan Minor and Larry Bigbie come to mind) maybe LH is the opposite. YOu just never know.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe at Sunspot, you could get away with posts like that, but the posters here are too smart to let that pass. :cool:

Well if 290 is horrendous then the team average of most teams in the major leagues must be horrendous. I just think that word is a huge exageration for anyone hitting 290. In fact it is beyond stupid using that word to describe that average. Maybe a misleading 290 or even a weak 290 could be substituted, but certainly not "horrendous." Horrendous would be Daniel Cabrera trying to hit.

Unless you are the NY Yankees most teams aren't going to have "run producers" at every spot in the lineup. However, there is also a need for guys to set the table or get on base. 290 is a lot better than 190 when it comes to doing that. Some of you (hate to say it but you seem to fit the category) seem to assume that LH is a 190 hitter. Why don't you just let him have an opportunity first before writing him off. Just like some prospects do well in the minors and miserably at the major league level (Ryan Minor and Larry Bigbie come to mind) maybe LH is the opposite. YOu just never know.

He hit .290, but his OBP was only .300. He needs to do something that he has shown no ability to do, and that is become more patient at the plate.

I honestly don't see how this guy is going to succeed as a major league hitter. If he had shown some ability to get on base in the minors, I might feel a little differently about him.

I'll admit that it's in the range of possibilities that Luis Hernandez could hit .250/.290/.290. If Hernandez somehow hit .290 his OBP would probably still only be .325, or below average.

Oh, and Ryan Minor was old for his leagues and had terrible SO/BB numbers even in the low minors. He was never much of a prospect and it would have been a huge surprise if he'd had Cory Snyder's career. It was unremarkable that he didn't. Bigbie's career minor league line of .292/.370/.422 translates very nicely to his career major league performance of .267/.331/.395.

We've been over this ad nauseam, but it's at least counter-intuitive to think a player could be over matched against AA pitchers but fares much better against much better major leaguers. If you can't high jump 6' you probably can't high jump 7', either.

Also, there have been players like Jimmy Sheckard who once hit .194 but had a .368 OBP. Even giving Luis Hernandez the benefit of the doubt of his walk rate in the minors he'd have to hit over .300 to beat the OBP some .190 hitters have posted.

Archived