O's Interested in Juan Uribe

Ven6

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my opinion, too. Uribe is a hacker who's apparently lost a few steps in the field, has legal issues, and seems to have an inflated opinion of his abilities and place on a major league team.

In defense of Uribe...

1) The legal issues are behind him. Hell, they were probably fabricated to begin with, but it seems like the Dominican legal system is set up for plaintiffs to wring as much money out of the upper class as possible, because his court date was delayed for months while the accuser tried to find evidence, even well after the co-plaintiff dropped the charges, and Uribe didn't want to settle.

2) I wouldn't say his opinion's inflated. It's more that he signed a one-year deal with the understanding he would be starting, and then they traded for Orlando Cabrera a couple weeks later. Had he known that, he would've tried somewhere else. I think his displeasure is understandable in this case.

He has lost a step in the field, but Cabrera got the job because he's one of Ozzie's favorite players. It's not due to Uribe's defensive capabilities, which are still solidly above-average and maybe better than Cabrera's. He has maybe the best arm of any shortstop in the league.

Uribe could be a good change-of-scenery candidate, because his conditioning isn't top-notch, and the Sox's hitting coach (who probably shouldn't have a job) has no idea how to reach him. Frank Thomas -- who was around for most of Uribe's career 2004 season -- was Uribe's hitting coach, and implemented this toe tap that helped his timing. Thomas disappeared, and so did the toe tap. The Sox invited Thomas' favorite hitting coach to spring training, and I thought this might be why.

Give him a new uniform, new coaches and put him in a contract year, and he could be worth a chance. His defense alone probably keeps him from being considered a "gamble."

Uribe could be a good change-of-scenery candidate, because his conditioning isn't top-notch, and the Sox's hitting coach (who probably shouldn't have a job) has no idea how to reach him.

Give him a new uniform, new coaches and put him in a contract year, and he could be worth a chance. His defense alone probably keeps him from being considered a "gamble."

His OBP is terrible. Pass.

If you can get Uribe for Payton, you absolutely make the trade and start Uribe at SS this year.

In the meantime, you explore other options in future trades to land your long term solution at SS.

I'd do that on March 30th, and only after striking out on all other options to trade Payton and his salary for a used rosin bag. I think the Orioles are better off with neither Payton nor Uribe than one of them.

I'd do that on March 30th, and only after striking out on all other options to trade Payton and his salary for a used rosin bag. I think the Orioles are better off with neither Payton nor Uribe than one of them.

Granted, all these guys are professional ballplayers, but if you're making pitching & defense your priorities, I think it's "indefensible" to deprive half of your starting keystone combination of spring training to get used to his new double play partner.

Granted, all these guys are professional ballplayers, but if you're making pitching & defense your priorities, I think it's "indefensible" to deprive half of your starting keystone combination of spring training to get used to his new double play partner.

How long did it take Luis Hernandez and Brian Roberts to get used to each other? Maybe I'm missing some nuance here, but I'm willing to bet these guys can adapt on the fly pretty well.

In defense of Uribe...

1) The legal issues are behind him. Hell, they were probably fabricated to begin with, but it seems like the Dominican legal system is set up for plaintiffs to wring as much money out of the upper class as possible, because his court date was delayed for months while the accuser tried to find evidence, even well after the co-plaintiff dropped the charges, and Uribe didn't want to settle.

2) I wouldn't say his opinion's inflated. It's more that he signed a one-year deal with the understanding he would be starting, and then they traded for Orlando Cabrera a couple weeks later. Had he known that, he would've tried somewhere else. I think his displeasure is understandable in this case.

He has lost a step in the field, but Cabrera got the job because he's one of Ozzie's favorite players. It's not due to Uribe's defensive capabilities, which are still solidly above-average and maybe better than Cabrera's. He has maybe the best arm of any shortstop in the league.

Uribe could be a good change-of-scenery candidate, because his conditioning isn't top-notch, and the Sox's hitting coach (who probably shouldn't have a job) has no idea how to reach him. Frank Thomas -- who was around for most of Uribe's career 2004 season -- was Uribe's hitting coach, and implemented this toe tap that helped his timing. Thomas disappeared, and so did the toe tap. The Sox invited Thomas' favorite hitting coach to spring training, and I thought this might be why.

Thank you for the very informative post. Rep coming your way.

How long did it take Luis Hernandez and Brian Roberts to get used to each other? Maybe I'm missing some nuance here, but I'm willing to bet these guys can adapt on the fly pretty well.

Sure, major league players will adapt well enough not to embarass themselves. If we were talking about an outfielder or corner issue, it wouldn't really be an issue.

I get the sense from listening to Trembley's statements that defense is a priority, not something to be perfected "on the fly" after the regular season begins.

That's why I tend to think Roberts' status will be resolved before Grapefruit League play gets under way. Despite MacPhail's penchant for making trades in March, I'd be very surprised if he's playing musical middle infielders once the exhibition games begin.

Uribe has value on this team as a starting SS.

Yes he does. Sadly, it's negative value in the sense that it goes directly against what DT and AM have said their priorities are.

Personally, I have no idea what they're gonna do, but if the OD SS is not a strong-D guy, I'll eat my hat.

Considering the alternatives, I have no problem plugging Uribe into the 9 spot in the lineup. After getting all the legal issues behind him, he hit pretty well in September (.300 avg, .884 ops). I think we may need to lower our expectations for this season when it comes to the SS. From everyone he has said, I don't imagine McPhail is going to start flipping young pitchers for shortstops.

If you can get Uribe for Payton, you absolutely make the trade and start Uribe at SS this year.

In the meantime, you explore other options in future trades to land your long term solution at SS.

.234 .284 .394 .678 -- Why would you be o.k. with this line from a 28 year old SS ... but not willing to go with LH if he would give you better defense. LH is likely to be horrible, but I would rather let him have a go then to pay Uribe anything to put up these numbers.

Archived