And Machado snickers

mdbdotcom

I see your point. I guess those numbers make a play 4+ million dollars right now. That seems like a lot too. I guess he may have won if he had asked for 4.9 million.

I guess they felt the team's offer of 4.3 was closer to his actual value than his submission of 5.75. MLBTR estimated he'd get 4.5. That's a big difference.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was my thinking as well. I'm not sure how Machado will be able argue to make more than $4.3 mm next year, when you consider that Donaldson is coming off back to back seasons of 7+ rWAR. He'd sure have to have a heck of a season.

That would be a tough argument, for sure.

I don't know what the arbitrators consider. They are certainly allowed to consider it, and I am 100% certain it would not be the sole basis for a determination, and probably not the primary one, either. Still, rWAR doesn't just pop out of the air. Donaldson had an .887 and .798 OPS the last two years, with 20+ HR and 90+ RBI each season, finishing 4th and 8th in the MVP voting. He's also considered a plus defender, and he played 158 games each season. Those are the reasons his rWAR is so high.

Also played 158 games back-to-back years on back-to-back playoff teams, and the team went 31-15 after his second-half call-up in 2012, making the playoffs. Also, was top 5 and top 10 in MVP voting in 2013/2014. All that stuff is talked about.

I guess they felt the team's offer of 4.3 was closer to his actual value than his submission of 5.75. MLBTR estimated he'd get 4.5. That's a big difference.

Not actual value -- appropriate compensation based on comparable players. All parties would agree he is worth more than he is getting paid.

Geez bad news making $4+ million must be a hard life!

Yes, it's a ton of money for playing a game....

The point is, it's like they say about your 401k. If you get in TODAY, it's worth much more in years to come than if you get in TOMORROW. Like compounded interest. Donaldson (or Manny) loses in arbitration and it costs him/them millions until they reach free agency.

They should have given Manny a Snickers bar before he threw his bat at Oakland. :D

I can see it now.

Machado, in a fit of uncontrollable rage ........ and suddenly, he drops the bat that he was just about to throw at the Athletics' pitcher when the Orioles' bat boy runs up to him with a Snicker's bar.

The suddenly calm Machado says, "Why wait?", unwraps the candy bar, and starts munching away.

I can see it now.

Machado, in a fit of uncontrollable rage ........ and suddenly, he drops the bat that he was just about to throw at the Athletics' pitcher when the Orioles' bat boy runs up to him with a Snicker's bar.

The suddenly calm Machado says, "Why wait?", unwraps the candy bar, and starts munching away.

I was thinking Joey Belle at bat, about to charge the mound, batboy gives him a snickers and he turns into the player of your choice.

Why?

You get angry when you're hungry.

I was thinking Joey Belle at bat, about to charge the mound, batboy gives him a snickers and he turns into the player of your choice.

Why?

You get angry when you're hungry.

:rofl: I tried to think of a comparable alter ego and couldn't. Joey is PERFECT. :P

If anything Machado would want him to make the bigger money since hes a good comparison for when Machado hits arbitration next year.

Manny won't come close to Donaldson in arb. Donalds has averaged 26 HR and 95 RBI while putting up a .800+ OPS. And is known to be good defensively. Unless Manny picks it up offensively and stays healthy.

Manny won't come close to Donaldson in arb. Donalds has averaged 26 HR and 95 RBI while putting up a .800+ OPS. And is known to be good defensively. Unless Manny picks it up offensively and stays healthy.

Donaldson was a super two and Machado will have three full years of service time. Donaldson has certainly been more valuable than Machado, but if Machado has another season like he had in 2013, the difference in service time will make up the difference in value and Machado can expect to earn around Donaldson's salary if not a little more.

Archived