Machado not in top ten per mlb network

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Machado's upside, but...

Anthony Rendon

Kyle Seager

Xander Bogaerts (if he's there for the year)

Adrian Beltre is still a dude

Frazier is a legit middle-of-the-order bat

Sandoval is going to be a safe bat with a solid glove on the balls he gets to

Headley is an impact defender

I think a case can be made for Machado in the back few spots. Hardly offensive he was omitted.

You want to talk about manny having potential...

What has Bogaerts actually done in the mlb, other than being a sox prospect (thus getting the adoration of the media and some on here)?

In 162 mlb games Bogaerts has been worth 0.5 rwar. In his 82 games last season, manny was worth 2.4...

It's one thing to say manny has injury concerns and some of his ranking is caveated by potential, but then to turn around and talk about Bogaerts as if he has proven anything is comical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want to talk about manny having potential...

What has Bogaerts actually done in the mlb, other than being a sox prospect (thus getting the adoration of the media and some on here)?

In 162 mlb games Bogaerts has been worth 0.5 rwar. In his 82 games last season, manny was worth 2.4...

It's one thing to say manny has injury concerns and some of his ranking is caveated by potential, but then to turn around and talk about Bogaerts as if he has proven anything is comical.

I'd be fine with Manny ahead of Bogaerts. If you don't think, based on upside, there is a case for Bogaerts over Manny then I can't help you other than to say you should watch more players.

Anthony Rendon

Kyle Seager

I think a case can be made for Machado in the back few spots. Hardly offensive he was omitted.

Bogaerts? Really?

That's pretty laughable.

I'd be fine with Manny ahead of Bogaerts. If you don't think, based on upside, there is a case for Bogaerts over Manny then I can't help you other than to say you should watch more players.

When does that upside manifest itself in, you know, performing on a ML baseball field?

My point is that you said manny's omission is fine because he's more upside at this point. Elevating Bogaerts is talking out of both sides of your mouth. That's not even considering that manny has accumulated 10 war prior to his age 23 season, thus giving some serious on field production to pair with his massive upside (you know, that vaulted him to top5 prospect status in all of baseball).

I don't know what "The Shredder" is, but if it prefers a 36 year-old Juan Uribe over a 22 year-old Manny Machado for this season, I am not inclined to agree with it. And I think Nolan Arenado is a fine young player who is actually in the same class defensively as Machado, but his line away from Coors is .252/.287/.375 Machado's road line is .276/.308/.400. Third base is definitely stacked though, I will give them that.

I don't really care how hyped Bogarts is as a prospect, but he's done nothing in the majors yet. I think its crazy to put him over a guy who has gotten 9 WAR last 2 years when Bogarts was barely replacement level last year. Thats the kinda stuff that makes people facepalm at the bias these major networks have for teams like the Red Sox.

I don't really care how hyped Bogarts is as a prospect, but he's done nothing in the majors yet. I think its crazy to put him over a guy who has gotten 9 WAR last 2 years when Bogarts was barely replacement level last year. Thats the kinda stuff that makes people facepalm at the bias these major networks have for teams like the Red Sox.

Yes, and these rankings are for this year. Bogaerts may have a great career but if you think there is a decent chance that he is better than Manny this year based on what each of them have done in the majors in their last 162 games, then I have a pink Red Sox hat to sell you.

Anthony Rendon

Kyle Seager

Machado is the best defensive 3b in baseball. If his bat continues to progress he's definitely in the top 3.

He did have issues transitioning to the new bat and serious injury concerns.

The "bat" is a non-issue -- he raked with wood. Who cares what he did coming off a broken hamate with a BBCORR bat? Serious injury concerns? Well, that was certainly what teams tried to force feed to the media in attempts to drive down his asking price.

I agree he was beat up his junior year, including his hamate, which dropped his ISO all the way down to around .200 and his OPS all the way down to 1.031. He also only walked 80 some times compared to 30 some strikeouts that year. But, yes, I agree that from a production standpoint it wasn't as impressive as his freshman and junior years where he was arguably the best bat in college baseball.

When does that upside manifest itself in, you know, performing on a ML baseball field?

That's a fair point. Bogaerts has logged 162 major league games now over two seasons, and he turned 22 this fall. Probably time to cut bait and see what else they can line up.

Machado is the best defensive 3b in baseball. If his bat continues to progress he's definitely in the top 3.

Seems like you have a firm grasp on the nuances. How far does his bat have to progress, specifically? And are we assuming that the incredible 2013 is the baseline for defensive performance moving forward? I can count on 3 or 4 win seasons based solely on his glove from now on?

That's a fair point. Bogaerts has logged 162 major league games now over two seasons, and he turned 22 this fall. Probably time to cut bait and see what else they can line up.

I don't think that's his point. He's saying to be considered one of the best in MLB, you have to actually do something at that level. That's like saying Bundy is a top starter in MLB right now.

Archived