Davis in Right; Pearce at 1B?

wildcard

Davis would win a foot race against both Young and last year's right fielder. I'd be for Davis in RF to make room for a very good everyday 1B. But with the way this team is constructed, it makes more sense for him to play 1B, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, slow doesn't equal slowest. Are you arguing he's fast because he might be able to beat Delmon Young (I'm not convinced of that) and Nick Markakis in a foot face? They're both also slow. He's slower than all the right field options there now. Not including Delmon Young because I consider him a DH only. He's certainly slower than Lough, Pearce, and Snider. The metrics don't like Davis much in the outfield in his small sample and I agree with them. He just won't have the range to be good out there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, slow doesn't equal slowest. Are you arguing he's fast because he might be able to beat Delmon Young (I'm not convinced of that) and Nick Markakis in a foot face? They're both also slow. He's slower than all the right field options there now. Not including Delmon Young because I consider him a DH only. He's certainly slower than Lough, Pearce, and Snider. The metrics don't like Davis much in the outfield in his small sample and I agree with them. He just won't have the range to be good out there.

I do not know that Davis is slower than Pearce, Flaherty, Schoop, Manny or Snider. I know he is slower than Lough, De Aza and Cabrera.

I like that idea. Davis I believe has a stronger arm and Pearce might be a little better at fieling bunts due to a lower center of gravity. I dont think it's ridiculous. So now Snider and Young will be the DH split for matchups. Makes sense.

It seemed to me that Davis was much better at reaching for and scooping throws at first.

Traditionally, lefties played first base more that righties not as much because they were better first basemen, but rather because they were far more limited as to where on the diamond they could play. Lefties are at a distinct disadvantage at C, 2B, SS, and 3B. If a left-handed position player didn't have the requisite speed to play the outfield, first base was pretty much his position by default. This is still pretty much the case, although the DH position has opened up another spot that a lefty can fill.

I do not believe there has been a LH MIF in a long time, at least not at SS, I remember seeing something posted about a MLB video game having an interesting nuance in that if you made a LH player into a SS (I believe the example used was actually Markakis), the game did not have throwing motion graphics other than those for RH, so he would be a RH when playing D.

From an ESPN article by Jason Stark:

Buck adds:

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-training/post/_/id/2382/showalter-brings-the-noise-to-orioles-practice

Peter Schmuck reports:

Orioles manager Buck Showalter has said multiple times this spring that he plans to play Chris Davis in right field at times during the regular season, and said on Friday that Davis ?loves? to play in the outfield.........but my (Davis) first love is first base.?

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82939069/

Kind of makes me wonder if Buck is not impressed with Snider in right at first glance?

I love the idea of Davis in right, if he can field decently. He certainly has the power, and the ridiculous arm. I wonder if his arm is even better than Nick's was... He could be a great right fielder. Then you stick Pearce at 1st... and you have Snider as quality depth. This could shape up into a VERY interesting team.

You can almost start to see DD's vision for where this could go. It's all starting to make sense.

This team could, once again, shock the division and win the whole thing.

The Orioles greatest strength, by comparison to other teams, is their infield defense. To optimize that strength, you play you best defensive firstbaseman -- Davis. It's great to have flexibility and have him practice in the outfield, but you don't swap him off of firstbase for Pearce.

I've never seen a ball hit Pearce's glove dead center and fall out.

I think folks mistake Davis' obvious athleticism and versatility for actual defensive ability.

I don't have an issue with him playing first but I don't think he is plus defender anywhere on the diamond.

I've never seen a ball hit Pearce's glove dead center and fall out.

I think folks mistake Davis' obvious athleticism and versatility for actual defensive ability.

I don't have an issue with him playing first but I don't think he is plus defender anywhere on the diamond.

Pearce looked uncomfortable at 1B, to me. If the Orioles are pushed to move Davis off of first, I hope it's because they believe they need to make room for Parmelee. They may not want to risk playing Parmelee in the outfield, if it can be avoided, but they may want his bat at some point in the future.

Note-that sould be spelled Parmelee. I used to know that...

I keep wondering if they want to get a guy like Ryan Howard to DH/1b. I know there is a huge don't go after an older "name" player crowd but to me Howard fits the DD/ Buck MO perfectly. He can play first base when needed whike primarily DHing allowing Pearce and Davis to get moved around as needed. At OPACY Howard could really be a 30+ HR threat again (and one more DD success story).

I can see a lineup that includes:

Cabrera 2b

Manny 3b

Davis RF

Jones CF

Howard DH

Hardy SS

Wieters C

Snider LF

Pearce 1b

Having Davis takeover RF just opens a lot of options IMO.

I keep wondering if they want to get a guy like Ryan Howard to DH/1b. I know there is a huge don't go after an older "name" player crowd but to me Howard fits the DD/ Buck MO perfectly. He can play first base when needed whike primarily DHing allowing Pearce and Davis to get moved around as needed. At OPACY Howard could really be a 30+ HR threat again (and one more DD success story).

I can see a lineup that includes:

Cabrera 2b

Manny 3b

Davis RF

Jones CF

Howard DH

Hardy SS

Wieters C

Snider LF

Pearce 1b

Having Davis takeover RF just opens a lot of options IMO.

Howard is done. Only a Phillies fan would be happy with this. In my opinion.

Pearce looked uncomfortable at 1B, to me. If the Orioles are pushed to move Davis off of first, I hope it's because they believe they need to make room for Parmalee. They may not want to risk playing Parmalee in the outfield, if it can be avoided, but they may want his bat at some point in the future.

I didn't see that. I thought Pearce was in his element at 1B. He played 1B very well IMO.

I don't think Davis moves well in the outfield. Yes, he has a good arm and he is athletic, but he is not fast and doesn't track the ball that well.

The question about Davis is does he play right field better than Snider and Pearce. I have not seen Snider and Buck seems to think Pearce is better in left field.

"Steve Pearce played a good outfield for us last year. Both of those guys at first, right and left I feel comfortable playing them. Probably Stevie a little more in left, but I have no doubt that Chris could pick that up if he had to."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/hearing-from-showalter-alvarez-and-britton-after-todays-workout.html

Archived