Oh! How doing that during the anthem rankles some people

JohnD

First my son and I yell "O" any time we hear the National Anthem anywhere. We get looks. Second, I'd like to submit Gram Parsons "Streets of Baltimore" as the new song..

Lyrics..

Well I sold the farm to take my woman where she used to be

We left our kin and all our friends back there in Tennessee

And I bought those one way tickets she had often begged me for

And they took us to the streets of Baltimore

Well her heart was filled with gladness when she saw those city lights

She said the prettiest place on earth was Baltimore at night

Well a man feels proud to give his woman what she's longing for

And I kinda liked the streets of Baltimore

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scouring the internet, I found a song by George harrison, from his somewhere in England LP called BALTIMORE ORIOLE

Baltimore Oriole

Took one look at that mercury, forty below

No life for a lady

To be draggin' her feathers around in the snow

Leaving me blue, off she flew

To the Tangipaho - down in Louisiana

Where a two - timin' Jaybird

Met the divine Miss O

I'd like to ruffle his plumage

That Baltimore Oriole

Messed around with that big guy

Till he singed her wings

Forgivin' is easy - it's a woman like, now and then

Could happen to thing

Send her back home

Home ain't home without her warbling

How she can sing

Make a lonely man happy, Baltimore Oriole

Come down from that bough

Fly to your daddy now

Also, something by one of balmer's bands, Kix, the ravens, Splitsville, Love Nut (have a CD called baltimucho) would be cool.

Maybe they should have a contest. I know Joe pernice of the Pernice Brothers, a huge BoSox fan, wrote the Manny ramirez song..

I've already stated my support for the "O!" but I don't think it's too much to ask for people to take their hats off during the anthem. It's a small sign of respect for your country that goes a long way IMO. I'm not going to say anything to someone who doesn't, but I'm probably going to look at them the same way I do a person that doesn't hold a door open for me.

My dad always used to make me take my hat off at the dinner table no matter if we were at home, in a fancy restaurant, or in a McDonald's. I hated it and always started a fight, but I kind of get it now. I'm still not taking my hat off in McDonald's or in my own home if I don't have respectable guests though. It all depends on the situation.

...I'd like to submit Gram Parsons "Streets of Baltimore" as the new song..

Lyrics..

Well I sold the farm to take my woman where she used to be

We left our kin and all our friends back there in Tennessee

And I bought those one way tickets she had often begged me for

And they took us to the streets of Baltimore

Well her heart was filled with gladness when she saw those city lights

She said the prettiest place on earth was Baltimore at night

Well a man feels proud to give his woman what she's longing for

And I kinda liked the streets of Baltimore

Yeah, but the rest of the song doesn't turn out so well.

I'm goin' back on that same train

That brought me here before

While my baby walks the streets of Baltimore

How about Randy Newman's "Baltimore" :

Beat-up little seagull

On a marble stair

Tryin’ to find the ocean

Lookin’ everywhere

Hard times in the city

In a hard town by the sea

Ain’t nowhere to run to

There ain’t nothin’ here for free

Hooker on the corner

Waitin’ for a train

Drunk lyin’ on the sidewalk

Sleepin’ in the rain

And they hide their faces

And they hide their eyes

’cause the city’s dyin’

And they don’t know why

Oh, Baltimore

Man, it’s hard just to live

Oh, Baltimore

Man, it’s hard just to live, just to live

Get my sister Sandy

And my little brother Ray

Buy a big old wagon

Gonna haul us all away

Livin’ in the country

Where the mountain’s high

Never comin’ back here

’til the day I die

Oh, Baltimore

Man, it’s hard just to live

Oh, Baltimore

Man, it’s hard just to live, just to live

That's a song that will fire up a comeback rally. At least Aubrey would approve. ;)

I vaguely remember that UM students used to shout "STILL THERE" during the anthem back in the '80s.

When the Clippers brought Wild Bill to the Civic Center for hockey around 79-80, his gang would shout out the "SEE" in honor of the Clippers ("C", "SEE". Get it?).

Since we're on the topic of the Talking Heads for the song replacement, why not go with Crosseyed and Painless, which is what the O's have left me the last 10 years.....

Then I can mumble the line "still waiting" as in we are waiting for a winner. :D

I kid, I kid....I think the Country boy song is fine, it doesn't really bother me.

What does kind of annoy me every year is the fact that we still play "Orioles Magic". I get it, but I just think we need something else now.

And I've always loved shouting "O" during the anthem. It's what I've known, grown up on and I don't care who doesn't like it or gives me smug looks. I'll continue to do that until the day I die.

So it's okay for Red Sox and Yankee fans to invade other ball parks and start their lame chants, and we as Oriole fans are looked down upon by other for screaming a single vowel? I am going to yell louder the ever this season. This PC society can sit on it.

Take your hat off. It takes very little effort and is a sign of respect for your country.

It's a sign of many things. One thing I don't get is country music guys who wear big cowboy hats inside. A couple weeks ago, one of them was on Bill Maher, sitting at the table with his cowboy hat on. You couldn't even see the guy's face under the huge hat. They had momma's who taught them better than that. You come inside and sit at the table, you take your hat off.

It's a sign of many things. One thing I don't get is country music guys who wear big cowboy hats inside. A couple weeks ago, one of them was on Bill Maher, sitting at the table with his cowboy hat on. You couldn't even see the guy's face under the huge hat. They had momma's who taught them better than that. You come inside and sit at the table, you take your hat off.

Haha. Seriously. I guess cowboys think their hats are holy or something and it makes them real men. The purpose of hats is to shade your eyes from the sun. Unless you live in a glass house, there ain't no sunshine blinding your eyes.

So it's okay for Red Sox and Yankee fans to invade other ball parks and start their lame chants' date=' and we as Oriole fans are looked down upon by other for screaming a single vowel? I am going to yell louder the ever this season. This PC society can sit on it.[/quote']

How ironic is it that the angriest people are the ones that are upset at others being upset.

"How dare you be offended!" :)

"I'll fix them for being PC!" :D

Archived