Orioles have ongoing trade discussions involving Brian Matusz and Ryan Webb (Webb Traded)

xian4

________

Yeah, Miggie pitched really really well. Didn't deserve Matusz' shenanigans. I will admit though, that we didn't get him any runs. And that's not good.

How can you say he pitched well?

Schoop saved him, Manny saved him, Flash made a nice play.

He walked five and couldn't get out of the sixth inning against a less then impressive Rays lineup.

He didn't pitch terribly but by golly he sure didn't pitch "really well".

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No reason to be so chippy. He threw a matching shut-out --- for 5+ innings. ANY pitcher should get a tip of the cap for that.

Matusz throws a passed ball (I know the C coulda / shoulda... but he didn't, and Matusz threw it)... then walks the bases full and then walks the run in. Miggie pitched too well for THAT to happen.

No reason to be so chippy. He threw a matching shut-out --- for 5+ innings. ANY pitcher should get a tip of the cap for that.

Matusz throws a passed ball (I know the C coulda / shoulda... but he didn't, and Matusz threw it)... then walks the bases full and then walks the run in. Miggie pitched too well for THAT to happen.

No he didn't. That run that scored was his.

He performed adequately. I really wouldn't go past that.

The defense played great.

How can you say he pitched well?

Schoop saved him, Manny saved him, Flash made a nice play.

He walked five and couldn't get out of the sixth inning against a less then impressive Rays lineup.

He didn't pitch terribly but by golly he sure didn't pitch "really well".

He pitched well enough to leave with a shutout in tact. Was he dominant? No. But he gave up no runs through 5 2/3, and 80% of the time a decent reliever gets him out of it against Guyer, a career .250 slap hitter.

He pitched well enough to leave with a shutout in tact. Was he dominant? No. But he gave up no runs through 5 2/3, and 80% of the time a decent reliever gets him out of it against Guyer, a career .250 slap hitter.

The end results were fine but the process was flawed.

He can not continue to pitch that way and expect to see similar results.

To merely look at the runs allowed and conclude he pitched well is lazy thinking.

No he isn't. He just isn't as good as O'Day and Britton.

Where are all the pitchforks for Brach? He hung a two strike slider for a double and then gave up a run on a single. All I know is that poor Gonzalez just doesn't deserve this. He must be cursed. Or it could be baseball. Hmmmmm.....

The single by Jennings was on a great pitch, a slider that started out in the zone and dove down and away. Jennings flailed at it and hit a grounder that found a hole in the defense. Matusz, on the other hand, threw a wild pitch and back to back walks. The two are in no way comparable. Brach pitched OK and gave up a run. Short of giving up a HR, Matusz did about as badly as a reliever can possibly do.

I ask again why was Matusz tendered a contract? Would have much preferred to have Logan Verrett pitch in this game than Matusz. Okay DD while you were interviewing for the Toronto job someone rubber stamped the contract tendering of all the arb eligible players. I get that. Now clean up the mess and release Matusz and eat the 3.2 million

I ask again why was Matusz tendered a contract? Would have much preferred to have Logan Verrett pitch in this game than Matusz. Okay DD while you were interviewing for the Toronto job someone rubber stamped the contract tendering of all the arb eligible players. I get that. Now clean up the mess and release Matusz and eat the 3.2 million

They should eat the contract after one outing this year?

They think he has too much value to just let go. Very hard to judge any relief pitcher early in the season.

I've never made my disdain for Matusz a secret. I respect the opinions of those in here defending him. However, he can't get out righties, period. I wouldn't call a situational LOOGY "good".

BUT, what bothers me more than anything is that he thinks that he should be a starter. Do I expect any MLB player to ever say, "I'm not good enough..."? Of course not, but at what point is an 88 MPH straight fastball without the benefit of plus secondary pitches ever gonna cut it? How do you leave a ball four two feet off the plate as a guy that MUST command his fastball?

I love Buck, but why not warm someone else there to throw to the second batter? It was pretty obvious that he wanted everyone to get in some work.

Archived