Spring Training Performance Means Nothing

Bahama O's Fan

I think doing well in ST doesn't necessarily mean a player will do well in the majors once the season starts. But a player doing badly vs AAA talent is not good in ST. He better be working on something. If he isn't he has a good chance of not being ready to start the major league season.

The latter is Norris.

I think doing well in ST doesn't necessarily mean a player will do well in the majors once the season starts. But a player doing badly vs AAA talent is not good in ST. He better be working on something. If he isn't he has a good chance of not being ready to start the major league season.

The latter is Norris.

I was listening to the pregame show on my way to the light rail to go to the game. The explanation is that Bud spent time in ST to work on some pitches, because his position in the rotation was set and he was not in any danger of losing his spot in the rotation. At the game, as we watched him, some fans and I were wondering if Bud was experimenting on a new pitch, called a "strike." He didn't walk an exhorbitant number of batters, but when he threw strikes, they were going into the outfield for singles and doubles.

The latter is Norris.

Exactly right. Dismissing ST entirely is a fool's errand. They do it every year for a reason; to prepare for the regular season and he wasn't prepared. He located poorly all spring and it showed again today.

Exactly right. Dismissing ST entirely is a fool's errand. They do it every year for a reason; to prepare for the regular season and he wasn't prepared. He located poorly all spring and it showed again today.

I agree he had the EAXCT same problems all ST yesterday was just a carry over from ST. Gaus awaits his turn...

Norris wasn't good but he wasn't as bad as his line would indicate. There were a lot of well placed balls that dropped in and the Jays basically cashed in almost every single baserunner they got against Norris. Not making excuses, but that's the kind of game where if there were a few more hard hit balls in the right places, he easily could have got out with 5 or so runs instead of 8.

As far as spring training goes, I am not sure Bud's issues yesterday were exactly the same as in the Spring. He was getting ahead of hitters better and throwing the ball over more than he did throughout spring training. He couldn't put guys away yesterday which has always been an issue for him.

Norris wasn't good but he wasn't as bad as his line would indicate. There were a lot of well placed balls that dropped in and the Jays basically cashed in almost every single baserunner they got against Norris. Not making excuses, but that's the kind of game where if there were a few more hard hit balls in the right places, he easily could have got out with 5 or so runs instead of 8.

As far as spring training goes, I am not sure Bud's issues yesterday were exactly the same as in the Spring. He was getting ahead of pitchers better and throwing the ball over more than he did throughout spring training. He couldn't put guys away yesterday which has always been an issue for him.

5 runs in 3 innings is still pretty bad. You can't sugar coat Norris' performance. He has been horrible all ST and its carrying over into the season. I am not sure what to expect from him over the next 3-4 starts.

As far as spring training goes, I am not sure Bud's issues yesterday were exactly the same as in the Spring. He was getting ahead of pitchers better and throwing the ball over more than he did throughout spring training. He couldn't put guys away yesterday which has always been an issue for him.

It is pretty darn hard to be as bad as his line would indicate.

I said he was bad. Pointing out that he also got ahead of a lot of hitters and had some soft hit balls drop in isn't sugar coating. The main point was that his issues yesterday were not exactly the same as what hurt him in the spring. Assuming that his spring/1st game performance is a harbinger of things to come is silly right now. It might be, but it also might be a bump in the road and he'll go back to being the league average pitcher he has been throughout most of his career. It is too early to tell.

I said he was bad. Pointing out that he also got ahead of a lot of hitters and had some soft hit balls drop in isn't sugar coating. The main point was that his issues yesterday were not exactly the same as what hurt him in the spring. Assuming that his spring/1st game performance is a harbinger of things to come is silly right now. It might be, but it also might be a bump in the road and he'll go back to being the league average pitcher he has been throughout most of his career. It is too early to tell.

Soft hit balls??? They were hitting Norris hard. Very hard.

I'm disappointed Bud's results were little changed from those of ST but I understand why Buck went with Bud in the 4 instead of 5 spot. The way Ubaldo pitched in ST, he was going to make the rotation one way or another and Buck didn't really have too much justification for starting Guasman and leaving Bud in the pen considering how Bud pitched last year.

I think Buck gives Bud another turn through the rotation and if the results don't improve considerably, he probably switches Guasman and Norris's roles.

Excited to watch Ubaldo throw tonight.

I'm disappointed Bud's results were little changed from those of ST but I understand why Buck went with Bud in the 4 instead of 5 spot. The way Ubaldo pitched in ST, he was going to make the rotation one way or another and Buck didn't really have too much justification for starting Guasman and leaving Bud in the pen considering how Bud pitched last year.

I think Buck gives Bud another turn through the rotation and if the results don't improve considerably, he probably switches Guasman and Norris's roles.

Excited to watch Ubaldo throw tonight.

Did Bud pitch appreciably better then Gausman last year? Gausman had a superior ERA, ERA+ and FIP.

Archived