For What it's worth.....

Belkast

Veal and Ceda aren't really that different. It's hard to say at this point which one will end up being better, as it seems like their prospect status flip-flopped in the past year. It would have to be a bigger upgrade than that to take on $16 million (or net $11.25 if you subtract Payton).

I realize Roberts is not a salary dump, but you need to figure in his contract when you write about "taking on $16 million (or net $11.25 if you subtract Payton)." Also, for all of the talk about upgrading the Cubs' offer to take on a salary dump (Marquis), I don't see much discussion of lowering the Cubs' offer for taking on a salary dump (Payton).

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really? That would be the rip off trade of the century. No offense but it has said numerous times that Pie and Ceda are not going anywhere. I could see Gallagher and Veal in a trade but since Hendry is in love with Colvin, it is very unlikely that he would go anywhere either.

That's fine. The Cubs will just have to pay all of Marquis' contract. Work for you?

I realize Roberts is not a salary dump, but you need to figure in his contract when you write about "taking on $16 million (or net $11.25 if you subtract Payton)." Also, for all of the talk about upgrading the Cubs' offer to take on a salary dump (Marquis), I don't see much discussion of lowering the Cubs' offer for taking on a salary dump (Payton).

Roberts' salary has nothing to do with the salary dumps. The Cubs obviously want him enough to put together a package of young, cheap prospects to take on him and his salary.

IMO the O's tried to make Payton part of the deal because the Cubs offer wasn't quite enough and they needed something to even it out plus Payton at least superficially fits the Cubs need for a right handed 4th OF who can play center. It's not taking a deal that would have been acceptable and saying "how about you take Jay Payton too," it's saying, "your offer isn't quite enough but we have some salary to dump and you need a backup CF, maybe this could be a win-win."

With Payton, you're talking about one year and $5 million, and he would fill a need the Cubs have (although not necessarily all that well). He might actually make a little bit of sense for the Cubs as a throw-in and the O's would benefit from having him gone.

Marquis is a completely different story. Even if MacPhail seems to be in love with the idea of acquiring veteran starters with clubhouse issues to fill out the rotation instead of giving the kids he needs to build around a chance to prove themselves, the fans want to see young guys with potential, not overpaid middle-aged guys with bad attitudes. To us, taking on a guy like Marquis would just be a sign of lack of commitment to rebuilding our team from the bottom up.

I don't believe Marquis would actually be part of any deal. We could likely get Lohse for 1/2 the price and I doubt the Cubs would offset his inclusion with enough talent to cover his salary.

Also...don't the Cubs actually need Marquis? They're trading Gallagher in this deal already so their depth is thinning out.

The only way this happens is if we return a guy like Olson and they really up their offer by adding Pie/Colvin/Ceda...making it something like a 6 for 3 trade.

Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, Patterson, Marquis, Pie for Roberts, Olson, Payton?

No way it happens.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2008/03/03/heyman.roberts/index.html

The Cubs and Orioles have resumed trade talks involving second baseman Brian Roberts, and one person familiar with the talks indicated discussions were starting to get serious.

In one of the trade proposals being discussed, outfielder Jay Payton would accompany Roberts to Chicago.

The cubs don't really need marquis. Carlos Zambrano, Ted Lilly and Rich Hill are guaranteed spots in their rotation. Ryan Dempster, Jon Lieber, Jason Marquis and Sean Marshall and to a lessor extent Kevin Hart are battling for the other two spots. So in short, they have options and it seems like they are leaning towards Dempster and Lieber as they don't want three lefties in the rotation, as I think Marshall and Lieber would probably be the best option. Speaking of Marshall, I am surprised more O's fans don't want him. He is good. I think the reason the cubs don't want him in the rotation is that Ted Lilly, Rich Hill and Marshall are very similar pitchers. They are looking for some variety in the rotation from the right hand side.

Seriously. The Cubs are like his ex-girlfriend that he can't stop drunk dialing.

Thanks for that. I needed a good laugh today. ;) I totally agree too. I don't think the Cubs match up with the O's very well either and I wish AM would move on.

Forgive me for yawning.......:rolleyes: I'm truly bored with the if and when of a Roberts trade. And although I really can't complain about the results of MacPhails' trades so far, waiting for them to go down is beyond agonizing.

The Marquis talk is very scary, IMO, unless the Cubs pick up a substantial amount of that contract - or at least the difference between Marquis and Payton. I am not a Marquis fan at all.

Excluding Marquis, it would seem that the deal is getting signifcantly better than what has been discussed most of the winter if Payton does get sent away.

I have said we should include 2 million or so for Payton. Payton shouldn't cost us players but we should have to give some money.

Marquis is terrible and he has been in the NL...He would be lucky to have a 5 ERA in the AL.

FWIW

Either way the club has kept Roberts in the loop and have promised him that a decision will be made quickly. On a side note---- We are now looking at inquiring another vet pitcher to add to the rotation.

Did Belkast ever put an outside boundry on "quickly"?

Including Marguis fits "another vet pitcher" scenario.

If Roberts supposedly nets you Gallagher, Cedano, Veal + a lower guy (Fontenot) then including Payton gets you Murton + Patterson + Marquis and drop the lower guy. Murton is insurance for Scott, Cedano/Patterson are competition for LH, Fahey, Bynum with losers to Norfolk, Marquis is a good bet to eat 190-200 INN at slightly better than league average performance. You are giving yourself more options for LF, SS, 2B and protecting your young arms. It potentially costs you $11.25MM. If Albers, Olsen, Burress, Penn, Gallagher can't beat out Trax in ST they go to the pen or Norfolk until Trax falters or they force their way into the rotation. If more than 1 steps up then you can trade Marquis at the deadline and avoid most of the cost. Good risk management for the long-term investment in pitching.

Archived