For What it's worth.....

Belkast

At this point, with Rowell, Snyder, Kolodny, Moore and Costanzo in the organziation, I see absolutely no reason to add Marte. Moore is better now, Costanzo is at least as good, and Rowell/Snyder/Kolodny could all be much better, in time.

Actually, Melvin Mora is better.

Another puffed up Braves prospect, IMO.

You may be right, but what's the harm in sending Moore and Costanzo to AAA and giving Marte a chance? He could impress some people. Right now Mora is better, but a year from now that could be much different. One thing I will say, is that if we did get Marte, I would really like to get rid of Mora.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You may be right, but what's the harm in sending Moore and Costanzo to AAA and giving Marte a chance? He could impress some people. Right now Mora is better, but a year from now that could be much different. One thing I will say, is that if we did get Marte, I would really like to get rid of Mora.

You're right, a year from now, it could be much different. But, that's probably because Rowell and Snyder will be a year closer to being ready. Mora might be gone, but Moore is more likely to be holding down the fort until one of the youngsters (not that Moore is that old, either) is ready.

Just think we have better options on the up swing than a former prospect that has not progressed as expected.

You're right, a year from now, it could be much different. But, that's probably because Rowell and Snyder will be a year closer to being ready. Mora might be gone, but Moore is more likely to be holding down the fort until one of the youngsters (not that Moore is that old, either) is ready.

Just think we have better options on the up swing than a former prospect that has not progressed as expected.

That's fair.

That said, if you could somehow involved Mora in an Indians deal, but we had to take back Marte, would you do it?

If Mora's gone and we had to take Marte to get Miller and another top prospect, maybe, but I still think he's just filler, in that situation, until a better option is available. And, Moore may already be a better option.

Even without Marte I would really like to get rid of Mora!

Trading Mora is very unlikely. He has a full no trade clause and has said he would only consider waiving it for a trade to a contending team on the east coast. Philly was the only realistic possibility, and they just signed Feliz. He is signed thru '09 and I think we can pretty much count on him being here.

I think you're kidding yourself about Payton being added as a plus for the Cubs. Payton being added is purely a salary dump and should be considered a negative instead of a positive from the Cubs' side. Taking Payton would be considered the cost of getting Roberts in the deal.

As you stated, McPhail seems to be committed to adding another veteran starter, so the discussion about Marquis started. What the fans (in any town) want doesn't really matter if the GM thinks that he needs to go in a different direction. If McPhail wants a veteran starter who will eat innings, then Marquis has as much value to the O's as Payton does to the Cubs. The bottom line is that Payton and Marquis are both under-performing, overpaid players with clubhouse issues. Unless either (or both) are traded for a similar contract, they will be considered salary dumps.

Agreed, but what would the Orioles gain by dealing a one year $4.5 Million 4th outfielder to acquire a two $19 Million 5th-6th starter? If we are talking about dumping salary then I will go with Gibbons for Marquis. I am not eating $14 Million in salary so Ceda could be in the deal. We could sign two-three top notch prospects for that much. If that is the case I would rather keep the money and spend it on Latin American players.

Trading Mora is very unlikely. He has a full no trade clause and has said he would only consider waiving it for a trade to a contending team on the east coast. Philly was the only realistic possibility, and they just signed Feliz. He is signed thru '09 and I think we can pretty much count on him being here.

When he loses his spot to Moore, maybe he'll reconsider.

Despite what you think, Payton has value to a contending team, especially an NL team.

He still hits lefties well and can play all 3 OF psoitions. Considering Pie can't hit lefties, he could be valuable to the Cubs.

Now, i agree we should pay some of his contract but Payton for 2 million or so is a good thing for the Cubs....He just has to be used properly, ie against lefties.

My comparison of Payton and Marquis still holds. I agree that Payton does have some value to a contending team, especially an NL team, but not at his salary. The same with Marquis, who has value as an innings-eater, reasonably young, veteran starter, but not at his salary. One important point for a team like the O's is that Marquis will likely have more trade value at the deadline than Payton. My original point was that getting Marquis may not be desirable, but it's not as bad as it looks on the surface.

Bruce Levine of espn radio chicago who first reported saturday that trade talks are heating up between the Cubs and Orioles just reported the Orioles are looking for young pitching and the Orioles sent a 3rd scout to AZ yesterday. One was on hand to see Marshall pitch today.It will be a 5 for 2 trade with the Cubs taking on Payton and his full salary.

My comparison of Payton and Marquis still holds. I agree that Payton does have some value to a contending team, especially an NL team, but not at his salary. The same with Marquis, who has value as an innings-eater, reasonably young, veteran starter, but not at his salary. One important point for a team like the O's is that Marquis will likely have more trade value at the deadline than Payton. My original point was that getting Marquis may not be desirable, but it's not as bad as it looks on the surface.

Not with 2 years left on his contract... and we have a veteran innings eater - Trachsel. And we could probably get Lohse for around the same amount as Marquis if we are that desparate. However, if you must deal Marquis, we'll take him for Gibbons. We don't need to salary-dump an expiring contract.

Bruce Levine of espn radio chicago who first reported saturday that trade talks are heating up between the Cubs and Orioles just reported the Orioles are looking for young pitching and the Orioles sent a 3rd scout to AZ yesterday. One was on hand to see Marshall pitch today.It will be a 5 for 2 trade with the Cubs taking on Payton and his full salary.

Hmmmmm. a 5 for 2? I will guess Roberts and Payton for Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, E. Patterson and Marshall. Maybe replace Patterson for Murton (although I do not want Murton at all).

Hmmmmm. a 5 for 2? I will guess Roberts and Payton for Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, E. Patterson and Marshall. Maybe replace Patterson for Murton (although I do not want Murton at all).

Marquis, Cedeno, Patterson, Murton, and a non 40 man pitcher ?

Archived