For What it's worth.....

Belkast

I like Gallagher, but I'm not sure I agree that he is "major-league ready." He has 8 games at AAA under his belt and he got hammered just as badly as Liz did in his brief ML call-up last year. I'm thinking at least a half-season in AAA may be the way to go. Why do you believe he is ready to step in now as a #3 SP?

I wasn't implying that he was there yet, just that if he is that good, and IF he's better than who we have lined up now, I would consider that an upgrade. Apparently, he reported to camp in much better shape this year, so it looks like he's pretty serious about making the jump for good.

Right now, we don't have many guys in the starting rotation mix who haven't been hammered at this level, it may be a matter of who can come out of it with the least amount of hammering....

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallagher, Cedeno, Veal, Murton and Marshall or Patterson for BRob and Payton (plus cash)

Heilman for Millar

Lillibridge for Olson or Liz

This would fantastic. Although i would much rather see Patterson than Marshall. I would estatic if we could get Veal and Ceda.

You have it backwards. Teams aren't offering anything for Murton. The Cubs were offering him and other teams said no. No comparison to Roberts.

No it is comparable. The Rangers have an overvalued perspective of Byrd. He is a one year wonder. That does not mean that he is worth more than Murton, just that the Rangers would not make the deal.

You only have a players value when a trade happens. It implies that Murton's value is less than Byrd, but the fact that the Cubs did not add to do the deal means there is an impasse just as there is in a BRob deal. Does not matter who approaches first.

If you guys trade Millar Murton could play a little 1st and DH.AM knows one thing Murton can hit .Thats if he is the trade which I don't think he is unless you flip him to the Padres who do like him.The reason Texas and Boston turned him down is they both are looking for Pitching they do not need another outfielder.

I think thats why AM wants Marshall he is ready and you coulg put Gallagher in AAA for a few starts then bring him up.AM doesn't like to rush kids and he doesn't have to with Gallegher.I have to admit what Am is doing for the Orioles is going to help you guys contend quicker then people think.

I think that may be exactly what AM wants to do. Send Gallagher to Norfolk and make him pitch his way up to Baltimore. Marshall would immediately take a rotation spot, hopefully he would end the pursuit of another veteran starter. Marshall does not have a power arm, but there have been a lot of lefties similar to him that have had nice ML careers.

If you guys trade Millar Murton could play a little 1st and DH.AM knows one thing Murton can hit .Thats if he is the trade which I don't think he is unless you flip him to the Padres who do like him.The reason Texas and Boston turned him down is they both are looking for Pitching they do not need another outfielder.

That i think is the biggest problem some Cubs fans have with Byrd and Texas and Coco and Boston. They fail to realize that with Bos, Tex and Balt, that the OF postions are fairly full. Add on top of that how difficult it is to make enough 40 man space on both Texas and Bos rosters.

The problem i have with flipping a prospect to another team is how truly difficlut trades really are to complete. If Murton was so easy to flip to SD, wouldnt it be more productive for the Cubs to do it instead of Balt? The Cubs have the same problem with Murton, as Texas, Bos, or Baltimore would. All the teams mentioned have to many OF's and need to deal from a postion of weakness in moving Murton and not a postion of strength.

The only benefit to Murton's value with Murton being moved to a AL team first is that the teams that would make the best fits, NY Mets, or SD would not be trading to a possible playoff competitor. This hurts Murton's value in the NL when hes held by the Cubs, becasue no team wants to make their main competion stronger in any deal and will most likely lowball the Cubs and try to get Murton on the cheap.

I like Murton, and i think personally the best fit would be in KC or SD or possibly in a platoon partner for the Mets.

And that may be a fair trade. But IMO, you have to get back Murton. If they are taking Payton, they need to move Murton. Now they could do that in a seperate deal, but to me Murton just makes sense for us. How would you feel about your trade if we switched Murton for Patterson?

For me, if you take Murton back it needs to be in order to flip him with or without pitching for an upgrade at 2b.

San Diego is looking for a LFer maybe we send him and pitching for Antonelli+.

Oakland has been said to want unload Ellis.

If we could unload Huff and/or Millar than sure hold on to him.

This would fantastic. Although i would much rather see Patterson than Marshall. I would estatic if we could get Veal and Ceda.

I think those deals are fairly realistic too.

At the very least, no one has called me out yet. :D

How nice would it be to send Millar to the Mets, Mora/Huff platoon at 3B, Moore full-time 1B, Murton full-time DH and spell Scott in LF from time to time? That would be great. Especially if we get Gotay for Millar - then we can have Gotay at 2B and Hernandez/Cedeno fighting for SS.

How nice would it be to send Millar to the Mets, Mora/Huff platoon at 3B, Moore full-time 1B, Murton full-time DH and spell Scott in LF from time to time? That would be great. Especially if we get Gotay for Millar - then we can have Gotay at 2B and Hernandez/Cedeno fighting for SS.

I really like this idea, but I'd rather deal Millar for a non-roster prospect and get Patterson back in a Roberts trade for 2B.

As a 4th OF type who can occasionally spell a player, I like Murton. I'm not sure that he can produce better stats at the pro level than Reimold can now though. It just doesn't seem like he has a place here. Hopefully we deal him with some more pitching to get more positions in here along the infield.

Would much rather get Anderson Hernandez than Gotay.

I really like this idea, but I'd rather deal Millar for a non-roster prospect and get Patterson back in a Roberts trade for 2B.

I guess, I just feel like Gotay's a more modest target and a good buy-low project. Anyway, we can still get Patterson, he can fight with Gotay :)

Archived