I don't want to see Wieters playing for the O's until.......

wildcard

I'm sure Boras thinks the O's have insulted Wieters by not offering him a $100 mill contract in spring training. Yet another case of Boras' greediness hurting his client. Lucky for the O's Wieters never accepted a team friendly deal.

I don't like to hear about all the "offense" we lost with Wieters. The man had a .287 OBP in his last full season. That's pathetic. I don't expect Joseph to match Wieters' power, but I think overall his production will be similar, probably a low .700 OPS, which is what Wieters usually put up.

Great post. Agree. Never been a fan of MW, highly overrated and Boras looks like a moron. Who knows if his arm will ever be the same.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spending $16M on someone when you can get similar output for $500k is not a good idea.

Well then I think there's a huge flaw in the notion that we can get similar output for league minimum.

I would gladly take wieters back at that number if it's a one year deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then I think there's a huge flaw in the notion that we can get similar output for league minimum.

I would gladly take wieters back at that number if it's a one year deal.

You disagree that Caleb Joseph has provided at least similar output when compared to MW?

16 mil for one year of Wieters would be absolute insanity. It would be indefensible really.

You disagree that Caleb Joseph has provided at least similar output when compared to MW?

16 mil for one year of Wieters would be absolute insanity. It would be indefensible really.

Totally agree; Caleb is giving us basically what Matt would, according to his career numbers. Where we are really hurting is when Caleb gets a day off, but that's not worth 16 million. We could buy a better bat with that.

I think most fans under appreciate how fortunate the organization is, that Caleb has stepped up and filled in quite well for MW, since Matt went down.

In fact, it was just ST in 2014, when Weams and I was talking catcher depth and Clevenger not being good enough to fill in for MW, if Matt went down for an injury and what was the in-house options in the system.

Caleb has done a very good job of filling in, and I hope he continues.

Most Oriole fans have pretty much come to the realization that MW as a Boras client, is most likely gone after this season. It is what it is.

With the money I say by not signing Wieters' date=' I look to either re-sign Davis (depending on this year's production) or someone like Encarnacion or Cespedes. We are going to be okay on SP, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, LF (or RF).[/quote']

Does Encarnacion play an adequate 1b? I know he doesn't see the field much in Toronto.

I'm sure Boras thinks the O's have insulted Wieters by not offering him a $100 mill contract in spring training. Yet another case of Boras' greediness hurting his client.

It seems to me that Boras has helped far more clients than he has hurt. And don't rule out the possibility that Boras had Wieters take out a large insurance policy, which he's done with other clients. At the end of the day, it is up to the player whether to take the bird in the hand or go for the two in the bush.

It seems to me that Boras has helped far more clients than he has hurt. And don't rule out the possibility that Boras had Wieters take out a large insurance policy, which he's done with other clients. At the end of the day, it is up to the player whether to take the bird in the hand or go for the two in the bush.

Correct.

As critical as I have been of Boras, he does not (as far as I know) hold a gun to any of his clients' heads to make them do what he (Boras) wants them to do, or even to continue keeping him employed as their agent.

Several players (including Jeremy Guthrie) have fired Boras.

So as disgusted as I sometimes am with Boras, perhaps I should be even more disgusted with some of his clients who don't tell him to take a hike. It's not like boxing, where the majority of fighters are at the mercy of promoters like Bob Arum and Don King. In fact, it's quite the opposite, as (for example) the MLBPA is the strongest and most stable union in professional sports.

With the money I say by not signing Wieters' date=' I look to either re-sign Davis (depending on this year's production) or someone like Encarnacion or Cespedes. We are going to be okay on SP, 2B, SS, 3B, CF, LF (or RF).[/quote']

Why complain about wieters, then suggest cespedes? He ended up with a .301 OBP last season at corner outfield...

Totally agree; Caleb is giving us basically what Matt would' date=' according to his career numbers. Where we are really hurting is when Caleb gets a day off, but that's not worth 16 million. We could buy a better bat with that.[/quote']

I think we need to see how Joseph does over a longer period of time before making any proclamations. Last year he was an extremely streaky hitter: .460 OPS in his first 26 games, .936 OPS in his next 27 games, .453 OPS in his final 29 games. I like the way he has looked at the plate so far this year, but I haven't forgotten last year's ups and downs, either.

As to Wieters, let's see how the year plays out before deciding if a QO makes any sense.

Archived