I don't want to see Wieters playing for the O's until.......

wildcard

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters said he still has occasional soreness in elbow. Nothing serious. But had to get past that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">May 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wieters said he still has occasional soreness in elbow. Nothing serious. But had to get past that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">May 3, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wieters hasn't played a game one month into the season, yet he still has soreness in his elbow.

And Scott Boras was "furious" with the Orioles for not DH-ing him to start the season last month:

Orioles, Boras Face Rift Over Matt Wieters' Opening Day Spot

(By Joel Sherman)

http://nypost.com/2015/03/20/orioles-boras-at-odds-over-matt-wieters-opening-day-roster-spot/

I think that this is an example of the player's agent not giving a **** about his client.

I would probably get suspended from the OH if I said what I really thought about Boras, so I won't.

I was just going to post a thread with a Wieters-Joseph theme. Basically how much of a drop off in the catcher position can be accepted or expected when and if MW returns? Joseph has certainly been more than an adequate replacement. His hitting has been a surprise and he has walked 10 times so far. He was patient against Archer last night. He may not be able to maintain all he is doing for the season, but he has been good. I noticed a shot in the dugout last night where Gonzalez seem to go a bit out of his way to acknowledge his battery mate last night. Gonzalez and Joseph were certainly on the same page and hitting his targets. So, I certainly acknowledge MW is the number 1 when he returns and BS is very loyal to his players. I expect other teams to test Matt early and often. And of course, his hitting in ST, didn't exist and we have heard nothing from anyone on that aspect of his game. So, I am wondering, from the "smart" folks here, what do you expect? And the bottom line for him to maintain his number 1 rating?

Yeah. Heard the Orioles were shooting for middle to late May.I know Buck kept saying they were ahead of schedule. Now with Wieters not even playing a full game in Sarasota,who knows.I am sure Wieters would have to play back to back games catching before they would even start a minor league rehab.

I'm sure Boras thinks the O's have insulted Wieters by not offering him a $100 mill contract in spring training. Yet another case of Boras' greediness hurting his client. Lucky for the O's Wieters never accepted a team friendly deal.

I don't like to hear about all the "offense" we lost with Wieters. The man had a .287 OBP in his last full season. That's pathetic. I don't expect Joseph to match Wieters' power, but I think overall his production will be similar, probably a low .700 OPS, which is what Wieters usually put up.

I'm sure Boras thinks the O's have insulted Wieters by not offering him a $100 mill contract in spring training. Yet another case of Boras' greediness hurting his client. Lucky for the O's Wieters never accepted a team friendly deal.

I don't like to hear about all the "offense" we lost with Wieters. The man had a .287 OBP in his last full season. That's pathetic. I don't expect Joseph to match Wieters' power, but I think overall his production will be similar, probably a low .700 OPS, which is what Wieters usually put up.

I love that you are offended by something that you think Boras thinks.

Hasn't Joseph usually been a good hitter in the minors' date=' but it was his defense that used to be considered a liability? Perhaps he's "catching" on.[/quote']

His career minor league line is .268/.327/.427, and he was on the older side at every level. That's a solid line for a catcher, certainly, but I'm inclined to think his .618 last season is closer to his true talent than this year's .948.

For reference, Matt Wieters spent his age-22 season at Frederick and Bowie and had a combined .355/.454/.600. Caleb Joseph, at the same age, hit .744 for Aberdeen.

That said, there's plenty of uncertainty, and I've loved the way Caleb has played with the O's. Hope he keeps it up!

Archived