Anyone worried about Pearce yet?

ChuckS

It's true -- in baseball history, when a pitcher has a few bad outings in a row and then starts another game, his team has never, ever won the game. You can look it up!

...Or not, because that's ridiculous.

Odds are against Norris pitching a good game vs the Red Sox on Sunday. His command is not up to pitching against a hitting team like the Sox. We just saw that with the Jays.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odds are against Norris pitching a good game vs the Red Sox on Sunday. His command is not up to pitching against a hitting team like the Sox. We just saw that with the Jays.

OK, but that's a far cry from saying it's "the same as a forfeit." I mean, really? Haven't you watched baseball long enough to know better than this?

Too soon to make panic moves. I've seen Mike Wright pitch. Obviously, he has a good arm. I think he'd get clobbered up here as a starter. Unless Norris is injured, which doesn't seem to be the case, you let him, Wallace, and Chiti figure out how to get back on track. I don't have confidence in him right now but it's really been two awful starts and one mediocre one. You don't take a pitcher who had a good season and won 15 games out of the rotation that quickly. That's a panic move.

A panic move would be releasing Norris which I am not suggesting. Norris needs to show he can command the baseball. He can do that in the pen probably without costing the team to lose games.

OK, but that's a far cry from saying it's "the same as a forfeit." I mean, really? Haven't you watched baseball long enough to know better than this?

How did you feel about Norris game vs the Jays? What has Norris done lately to make you think he will pitch well vs a hitting team like the Red Sox?

Buck's job is to put players in situations where they (and the team) can succeed. Norris starting Sunday does not seem like one of those situations.

How did this turn into a thread about Norris? There are two other threads for that.

As to Pearce: I expected significant regression from him this year. He is really struggling right now, but I am sure he will break out of it. I'm not counting on much above a .750 OPS from him, though.

He pitched well last year at the end of the season after having a terrible year. He pitched okay in ST in RELIEF. His first start was poor at AAA. He has two good starts since then. I watched his last start. IMO, he leaves a lot of balls over the fat part of the plate and would get hit up here. I think he's a good option in relief if and when we need him. I could be wrong about his potential as a starter. Still, you're comparing a pitcher who hasn't put together a good half season at AAA to a pitcher who put together a solid full season in the majors last year. I'm not sure what's wrong with Norris but I'd give him and the pitching coaches a little more time to figure it out.

I'd pitch Norris vs the Rays or a similar offense. Not the Red Sox at this point. I'd start Mike Wright over Norris. Wright can be sent back if he doesn't pitch well. But I think he can hold them to 3 runs in 6 IP. I don't get the feeling Norris can do that right now.

How did this turn into a thread about Norris? There are two other threads for that.

As to Pearce: I expected significant regression from him this year. He is really struggling right now, but I am sure he will break out of it. I'm not counting on much above a .750 OPS from him, though.

The Hangout is very flexible.

I'd pitch Norris vs the Rays or a similar offense. Not the Red Sox at this point. I'd start Mike Wright over Norris. Wright can be sent back if he doesn't pitch well. But I think he can hold them to 3 runs in 6 IP. I don't get the feeling Norris can do that right now.

Ideally, I'd want Wright to have 10-15 starts with pretty consistently good performance before attempting to use him as a starter in the big leagues. Norris may force our hand if he doesn't get his act together soon, but I don't want to reach down to Norfolk just yet.

I think I might be the only one not worried about Pearce. He looked great in ST. Way too early to worry about Pearce.

I am officially concerned about Norris, Garcia and Snider's defense though.

That's actually the way I see it as well. I'm a lot more worried about Norris than I am about Pearce. As for Garcia, he is in way over his head.

How did you feel about Norris game vs the Jays? What has Norris done lately to make you think he will pitch well vs a hitting team like the Red Sox?

Buck's job is to put players in situations where they (and the team) can succeed. Norris starting Sunday does not seem like one of those situations.

Well, for one thing, he pitched well all of last year. And he's been decent in 5 career starts against the Red Sox (3.41 ERA).

But even if he doesn't pitch well...how is that a "forfeit"? Seriously, have you never watched baseball before? You've never heard of a team winning a game when their starting pitcher doesn't do well?

This isn't even about Bud. It's your use of the term "forfeit" that makes no sense.

I see the House of Cards...how can you not?

1)Nelson Cruz should never have been allowed to leave

2)Ditto Andrew Miller

3)Pearse is completely lost at the plate and now he's pressing

4)How we did not bring in a #1 Starter is baffling...we are not build for a short series

5)When will Hardy and Weiters be healthy? That, with Cruz and Kakes gone is too much lost production.

6)Did we really think Norris would become a mainstay in the rotation? Last year was probably a fluke

7)Why did Gausman not win a starting job? His stuff is electrifying...

8)Let me say this again, Losing Cruz will have such a domino effect on this team that I just don't understand how Buck let it happen.

9) Excluding the Yankmes and the Rays, did the rest of the ALEast re-stock too well?

10)Davis? He may break Mark Reynolds K record by the All-Star Break...oy vay!

I'm not a doom and gloomer (I save that stuff for the Redskins)...but this isn't the well oiled machine we saw last year but I'll keep rooting for the good guys!

1)Nelson Cruz should never have been allowed to leave: Meh. He's hitting the crap out of the ball right now. He has a good shot at another very good year in 2015. But he was given a 4 year deal. What happens in 2016? 2017? 2018? If Cruz falls off the face of the earth in 2016 or 2017, would the contract really be worth it?

2)Ditto Andrew Miller: 4 year contract at $9 million a year essentially for a reliever? Pass.

3)Pearse is completely lost at the plate and now he's pressing: For starters, you spelled his name wrong. Second, it can't be that surprising that he isn't performing up to 2014's standards. I expected better than this. But we can't draw any real conclusions on 46 ABs.

4)How we did not bring in a #1 Starter is baffling...we are not build for a short series: Who, praytell should we have brought in?

5)When will Hardy and Weiters be healthy? That, with Cruz and Kakes gone is too much lost production.: The first thing you said I can at least somewhat agree with. It sucks to have Hardy and Wieters (you mis-spelled another name) out. But not really in our control. That said, Wieters really isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut. He's a career .257 hitter. Not bad. But not devastating to the offense. Frankly, I think Joseph is doing a fine job in relief. But I'd like Hardy and Wieters back, thanks.

6)Did we really think Norris would become a mainstay in the rotation? Last year was probably a fluke: Annd you follow up a rational thought with one that jumps the shark. Is Bud Norris elite? No. But he's clearly a solid pitcher. Last year was his best season for sure. But he was pretty solid in 2013 and very good in 2011 as well.

7)Why did Gausman not win a starting job? His stuff is electrifying...: Really? Really?

8)Let me say this again, Losing Cruz will have such a domino effect on this team that I just don't understand how Buck let it happen: What domino effect? Lack of power? We're tied for 2nd in the majors right now with 19 home runs.

9) Excluding the Yankmes and the Rays, did the rest of the ALEast re-stock too well?: Actually we're in a very flawed division. I wouldn't be shocked to see the division champ win fewer than 92 games.

10)Davis? He may break Mark Reynolds K record by the All-Star Break...oy vay!: Yes Davis is still striking out at rates that would make Adam Dunn blush, but that's what you get with Chris Davis. He's going to strike out... a lot. Overall, his contact to damage ratio is still looking good. His BA is .250. And his OPS isn't far from .800.

Well, for one thing, he pitched well all of last year. And he's been decent in 5 career starts against the Red Sox (3.41 ERA).

But even if he doesn't pitch well...how is that a "forfeit"? Seriously, have you never watched baseball before? You've never heard of a team winning a game when their starting pitcher doesn't do well?

This isn't even about Bud. It's your use of the term "forfeit" that makes no sense.

Everyone here bought the tickets for the "clinching" game the evening after Ubaldo did it. Because he was a forfeit.

Archived