O's offer vouchers to Saturday's ticket buyers - Monday AND Tuesday Games PPD

Creamsicle

Why wouldn't it?

I'd try and do it if I was commish.

Just let the O's bat as the home team and up their slice of the (non-existent) attendance a bit and call it a day.

I would hope MLB has thought about this since Saturday and have some plans made. This is not going away any time soon.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just posted this in the aborted game thread, but I was curious about other baseball games that have been postponed because of civil unrest and I came across this story:

http://didthetribewinlastnight.com/blog/2014/07/01/riots-postponed-tribe-game-in-detroit-in-43/

On June 23, 1943, the Indians and Tigers played an unscheduled doubleheader at what was then called Briggs Stadium. The first game of the three-game series was postponed Tuesday, necessitating the twin bill.

Among the 5,210 people watching the game at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull were 350 armed troops. Their presence was the reason Tuesday?s game was postponed.

That Sunday, June 20, temperatures soared over 90 degrees. A fight between a black teenager and a white sailor turned into a full-scale melee that spread throughout the city. Tensions had been running high as the factories, running full blast to build tanks, planes and other vehicles for the war, were bringing in black workers, who clashed with whites.

I hope this calm down back there.

All very good points, but if you're the White Sox, would you want to remain in your hotel here and bus down to D.C.?

Who knows. I think they are crazy to try to get another home game in this week. I think the Sox would want to get these games in if possible. At least Orioles still have fans in DC area.

And if I am Manfred I would take the opportunity to dig the knife in Angelos' back a bit more.

I think Buck would flip out. My two cents try to play in DC the next couple of days and swap the games in Tampa-I have no idea if any of this is feasible.

I would try but you have to get employees there etc. A ton of work I would think on short notice.

Very good point. But they need to do something to avoid too many postponements.

Perhaps schedule a DH Wednesday elsewhere and plan on playing in Tampa for the weekend? I do not envy the decision makers.

Archived