The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the 173rd time, how are Miller and Cruz "proven" talent? That is one of the biggest issues people had bringing them back. Because they had career years in 2014. That's not proven. And that's not elite.

2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 projection = 2014 performance each year. That's all. It's that simple.

Okay, so with THIS YEAR being the issue - what's the worst that can happen? The Orioles win the WS THIS YEAR and then be really good next year, and the year after that, with the 4th year being like the 2014 squad.

Is that a horrible fate? Any worse than what's waiting for us in the next couple of seasons? Barely scraping .500 again?

MSK

I think that the end result is more likely to be: miss the playoffs with Cruz and Miller then have to pay them for the next three years as they decline.

There also isn't some magic potion or spell they can put over him to make him spend 30+ million dollars over budget. It doesn't matter if it can be afforded or not, it wasn't going to happen. Some of us "FO apologists" simply like to live in reality. Everyone knew the O's were not going to re-sign Cruz and/or Miller except apparently a handful of posters here. The decisions still being lamented is insane to me.

There has always been a very vocal contingent that has said year after year, "show me you're really committed to winning by increasing payroll by 30-50%." Anything short of a transformation into a high budget team is going to be labeled a failure.

I think that the end result is more likely to be: miss the playoffs with Cruz and Miller then have to pay them for the next three years as they decline.

So the team doesn't make it to the WS last year but Cruz and Miller would carry them there this year. Don't you get it!!

There has always been a very vocal contingent that has said year after year, "show me you're really committed to winning by increasing payroll by 30-50%." Anything short of a transformation into a high budget team is going to be labeled a failure.

By "contingent" you mean the majority of Orioles fans.

No one wants rampant, unintelligent spending.

But spending to definitively improve is smart and good for business.

I don't see how this keeps getting missed.

MSK

I maintain that Josh Hamilton would have been a killer for the Orioles. He hit tons of HRs in OPACY.

MSK

Wow, you are just not living in reality. Texas is paying Hamilton $7M for the rest of his contract. That is what he is worth now. He is owed $80M by the Angels and we would have had to beat that. And guess what? If we had signed Hamilton, we would not have gotten your boy Nelson Cruz, and we would not be having this conversation!

By "contingent" you mean the majority of Orioles fans.

No one wants rampant, unintelligent spending.

But spending to definitively improve is smart and good for business.

I don't see how this keeps getting missed.

MSK

There are plenty of fans that want rampant spending.

Russ, when some folks are hardwired to defend the FO under any circumstance, they will find justifications for any horrible moves they make (or horrible non-moves). The stats are all some folks have to add to the discussion. Even though it's clear that Cruz and Miller will make us a better overall team, they'll tell you via a calculus formula that we're somehow "better" despite being in or near last place.

That is how screwed up the thought process can be so that the FO can be hailed as perfect.

I used to believe that FO members posted on here because I couldn't understand the slavish devotion to their poor management and offseason tactics, but now I realize it's deeper than that. Much deeper, and frankly more terrifying.

MSK

With me it is not a amatter of being hard wired. I might be more inclined to say that of you. I am inclined to give the FO the benifit of the doubt, given their track record the past three years. They strike me as knowing what they are doing. While one can argue with some of the decisions they have made, good reasons can be given to support them as well. I can point to no no brainer decisions that they have blown. And I have to accept that regardless of whether I like it or not, PA has them operating with in a set budget.

Wow, you are just not living in reality. Texas is paying Hamilton $7M for the rest of his contract. That is what he is worth now. He is owed $80M by the Angels and we would have had to beat that. And guess what? If we had signed Hamilton, we would not have gotten your boy Nelson Cruz, and we would not be having this conversation!

And if we had the proven Tex, we wouldn't have traded for Davis.

Archived