Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

14 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

It's insane.

To be fair, they are 26-28 since July 1, good for the 20th best record in MLB. That doesn’t exactly scream “good baseball team”.

The injuries caught up to them. That’s evident to everyone who pays more than passing attention. It doesn’t mean that the fan base can’t be frustrated by the performance. My Yankee friend and me were texting earlier and I made the comment earlier that if the O’s had suffered even half of the injuries they’ve had to play through this year, they’re running away with the division. I think that’s a reasonable statement/claim but they have played not awesome for two straight months. The sky hasn’t fallen but it’s been fall’ing’ for a while. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

To be fair, they are 26-28 since July 1, good for the 20th best record in MLB. That doesn’t exactly scream “good baseball team”.

The injuries caught up to them. That’s evident to everyone who pays more than passing attention. It doesn’t mean that the fan base can’t be frustrated by the performance. My Yankee friend and me were texting earlier and I made the comment earlier that if the O’s had suffered even half of the injuries they’ve had to play through this year, they’re running away with the division. I think that’s a reasonable statement/claim but they have played not awesome for two straight months. The sky hasn’t fallen but it’s been fall’ing’ for a while. 

The injuries certainly have been an issue but I think a large source of frustration has been the guys that have stayed healthy just haven't performed particularly well.  Adley, Gunnar, Burnes - those are probably your top 3 players on paper and all have performed poorly to some degree over the past few months.  Even with the injuries, if those guys perform just to their means then we're probably a few games up right now instead of a half a game back.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, banks703 said:

When I said "It's Insane" I was referring to the fact that the O's somehow have managed to be only a half game out of first place. Just when you think injuries can't further weaken the team, someone else goes down. 

Heck, it's so bad I'm afraid I might have to go on the IL

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

The injuries certainly have been an issue but I think a large source of frustration has been the guys that have stayed healthy just haven't performed particularly well.  Adley, Gunnar, Burnes - those are probably your top 3 players on paper and all have performed poorly to some degree over the past few months.  Even with the injuries, if those guys perform just to their means then we're probably a few games up right now instead of a half a game back.

All fair. I’ve long suspected that Adley has something physical that’s nagging him. He’s gained weight and isn’t moving well behind the plate or in the batter’s box. I suspect something lower back or possibly lower half. He just hasn’t looked right for a while. Gunnar, I think is more of hitting that second year wall of playing 1000 mph at SS for the first time. It’s not excuses for either player of course, just what I am seeing.

Burnes, maybe it’s the newborns. Who knows..? I can’t say that I can sympathize with having two brand new babies at home but have to think that it’s a factor. Again, not an excuse. They’re professionals and are paid for the ability to stay focused through these things.