Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Division ending sweep for the Yanks, hopefully

I think the Yankees are pretty much dead when it comes to the division title.   Of course, there’s always 1978 to consider.    But I think at this point the Yankees should be more concerned about maintaining their wild card spot, where they are now being closely pursued by Oakland and Seattle.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the Yankees are pretty much dead when it comes to the division title.   Of course, there’s always 1978 to consider.    But I think at this point the Yankees should be more concerned about maintaining their wild card spot, where they are now being closely pursued by Oakland and Seattle.    

Agreed.  Looks that way, but but pressure is a funny thing and old demons are hard to put away.  You do not have to go all the way back to 1978 to see the Redsox cough up a division title though that was to the Yanks in '78.  They have had difficulty closing more recently even with the Mighty Rays chasing them.  Why it seems like only yesterday, but on September 3, 2011 the Redsox had a 9 game lead on the Rays and we all remember how that ended with the Great Andino.

I would simply use this opportunity to remind everyone that neither team (RED SOX OR YANKS) is as perfect as they are made out to be.  The fact that the Orioles have their best record against the Yankees while cruising towards perhaps the worst record in franchise history helps us understand how someone may have thought we were closer to being competitive than we were.  They were wrong of course, but perhaps we are also not as far away as it looks....

44.5 games back.....

11 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Agreed.  Looks that way, but but pressure is a funny thing and old demons are hard to put away.  You do not have to go all the way back to 1978 to see the Redsox cough up a division title though that was to the Yanks in '78.  They have had difficulty closing more recently even with the Mighty Rays chasing them.  Why it seems like only yesterday, but on September 3, 2011 the Redsox had a 9 game lead on the Rays and we all remember how that ended with the Great Andino.

I would simply use this opportunity to remind everyone that neither team (RED SOX OR YANKS) is as perfect as they are made out to be.  The fact that the Orioles have their best record against the Yankees while cruising towards perhaps the worst record in franchise history helps us understand how someone may have thought we were closer to being competitive than we were.  They were wrong of course, but perhaps we are also not as far away as it looks....

44.5 games back.....

The Red Sox are as good as the Orioles are bad.  They will win the division going away.  The Yankees the question is only whether they qualify for the play-in game.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

The Red Sox are as good as the Orioles are bad. They will win the division going away. The only question regarding the Yankees is whether or not they will qualify for the play-in game.  

o

The Athletics are as hot as a pistol, having gone 33-10 over their last 43 games (that's a .767 winning percentage for more than a quarter of the season.)

Catching the Astros for the AL West title is not necessarily out of the question for them.

I suspect that the Yankees will hold off the Mariners for one of the 2 Wildcard spots, but I would not be surprised to see them on the road in a one-game playoff against either the Astros or the Athletics.

o

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think that the Yankees are pretty much dead when it comes to the division title. Of course, there’s always 1978 to consider. But I think at this point the Yankees should be more concerned about maintaining their Wildcard spot, where they are now being closely pursued by Oakland and Seattle.    

o

The 1978 Yankees began their comeback on July 19th, when they were 14 games behind the Red Sox.

They went 52-20 (.722) over their next 72 games before Rick Waits beat them on the final day of the regular season, which led to the legendary one-game playoff.

It's considerably later now than it was then (3 weeks), plus the Yankees are headed in the opposite direction than what they were going in during that portion of the 1978 season, having gone 18-20 (.474) over their last 38 games since June 22nd.

If this Yankees team comes back and catches (and passes) the Red Sox to win the AL East, it will supercede the probability of what happened in that 14-game comeback from mid-July to early-October that the 1978 Yankees team accomplished.

o

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The 1978 Yankees began their comeback on July 19th, when they were 14 games behind the Red Sox.

They went 52-20 (.722) over their next 72 games before Rick Waits beat them on the final day of the regular season, which led to the legendary one-game playoff.

It's considerably later now than it was then (3 weeks), plus the Yankees are headed in the opposite direction than what they were going in during that portion of the 1978 season, having gone 18-20 (.474) over their last 38 games since June 22nd.

If this Yankees team comes back and catches (and passes) the Red Sox to win the AL East, it will supercede the probability of what happened in that 14-game comeback from mid-July to early-October that the 1978 Yankees team accomplished.

o

Just looking from this point forward, the 1978 Yankees were 8.5 games out after playing 110 games (9 games out in the loss column).    Right now after 110 games they are 9.5 games out (8 in the loss column).     So, a pretty similar hill to climb over their final 52 games compared to then.   It’s certainly true that the ‘78 Yankees had already begun to build momentum for their stretch run, unlike this team.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just looking from this point forward, the 1978 Yankees were 8.5 games out after playing 110 games (9 games out in the loss column).    Right now after 110 games they are 9.5 games out (8 in the loss column).     So, a pretty similar hill to climb over their final 52 games compared to then.   It’s certainly true that the ‘78 Yankees had already begun to build momentum for their stretch run, unlike this team.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just looking from this point forward, the 1978 Yankees were 8.5 games out after playing 110 games (9 games out in the loss column.) Right now, after 110 games they are 9.5 games out (8 in the loss column.) So, a pretty similar hill to climb over their final 52 games compared to then. Its certainly true that the 78 Yankees had already begun to build momentum for their stretch run, unlike this team.   

o

The other part of the equation that I cited from the run that the 1978 Yankees made is the Red Sox, who went went 18-21 from August 6th through September 16th of that 1978 season before winning 12 out of their final 14 regular season games to re-catch the Yankees and force the one-game playoff.

Those 1978 Red Sox also went 25-33 from the July 19th mark (their peak lead of 14 games over the Yankees that season) through September 16th, before going 12-2 over their final 14 games prior to the one-game playoff.

The 2018 Red Sox are currently on pace to win 113-114 games, for a franchise that (believe it or not) has not won 100 games since 1949. When taking the entire set of circumstances into consideration, it would still be a bigger feat for the 2018 Yankees to find a way to repeat what their ancestors did to the Red Sox 40 years ago.

The Yankees have a favorable schedule from here on out, and I could see them going 35-17 over their final 52 games to finish with a 103-59 record ........ but the Red Sox would need to go only 25-24 to beat that by mark one game (104-58.)

I suspect that it will all end up being very similar to the 2001 AL West division, in which the Mariners went 116-46 and the Athletics went 102-60 ........ probably something like the Red Sox going about 108-54 or 109-53, and the Yankees going about 102-60 or 103-59.

o

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...