Draft Stock: March 9, 2008... a 'Top-10' Update

\/ 1. Pedro Alvarez, 3B/1B, Vanderbilt> He is out 6+ weeks with a broken hamate bone in his hand... but his track record should keep him rated #1 overall.

/\ 2. Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina> So far this season Smoak has been everything the scouts could hope for... a patient yet powerful switch hitter. Great combination coupled with good 1B defense. A virtual lock for the top 5.

-- 3. Tim Beckham, SS, High School (GA)> Nothing to report so far.

/\ 4. Eric Hosmer, 1B, High School (FL)> Hosmer has been tremendous, as many expected. He is patient, takes the ball where it is pitched and has prodigious power to all fields. Off to a blazing start.

-- 5. Aaron Crow, RHSP, Missouri> Crow struggled somewhat initially, but has rebounded to pitch well. A lot to like, but questions about his consistency may drop him slightly without noticeable improvement.

/\ 6. Brian Matusz, LHSP, San Diego> The best pitcher is the draft, although he may not be the first one selected. Piitching as expected... very well.

-- 7. Tim Melville, RHSP, High School (MO)> Nothing to report so far.

/\ 8. Kyle Skipworth, Catcher, High School (CA)> His improved defense has scouts looking at the total package behind the plate.

/\ 9. Yonder Alonso, 1B/DH, Miami> Off to a good start, and is, as always, a consistently strong bat.

-- 10. Aaron Hicks, OF/RHSP, High School (CA) While an exciting player, Hicks may drop out of the top half of the draft, as his pitching and hitting abilities are both high risk/high reward.

My updated list of the top ten players...

1. Alvarez

2. Smoak

3. Hosmer

4. Matusz

5. Beckham

6. Skipworth

7. Alonso

8. Harold Martinez, SS/3B, High School (FL)> Tremendous projection in Martinez, but already has outstanding soft hands and defensive skills. Combined with plus power, a good average and solid baseball instincts, Harold needs only another great season at Braddock High to secure his value in the eyes of scouts, as a certifiable Top 10 pick.

9. Melville

10. Crow

We are supposed to be keeping my man Smoak under the radar. Don't move him up to #2. haha.

Hey Greg, I am finally starting to feel better from my flu. When is a good time to give you a call? Tommorrow at work?

Hehe, Smoak... wish he were a secret . :D

Check your PM.

Greg thanks for all your hard work on the drafts and minor leaguers. I don't post often but always look for your input. I have a question, I wonder if their are any high ranking prospects that might slip down in the draft because of signability issues. Like Arrieta last year, it seems like Jordan is more willing to try to aquire talent that way, also?

Greg thanks for all your hard work on the drafts and minor leaguers. I don't post often but always look for your input. I have a question, I wonder if their are any high ranking prospects that might slip down in the draft because of signability issues. Like Arrieta last year, it seems like Jordan is more willing to try to aquire talent that way, also?

Thanks for the kind words, however at this time there hasn't been any indication as to who might tumble...

Jordan seems to know what he's doing, so he'll hopefully make the right choices overall. Personally I think he's doing okay, but these players he's taking need to show he is choosing wisely before we annoit him as the draft savior. I hope to be able to call him that someday soon. :)

Archived