This season's Orioles...

Ori-Al

still cannot win low scoring games, and games in which the opponent scores first. They have been getting good enough pitching to win in many of their games this month, but good pitching without run support still results in losses.

This remains a team that struggles to score runs other than via home run.

Not a reaction thread, and observation thread. O's don't win when they score three or fewer runs, but they do allow other teams to beat them when those teams score three or fewer (and those games aren't always against pitchers of Sale's caliber.)

As for my other observation, I believe we've won three games in which the opponent scored first (maybe four.)

Not a reaction thread, and observation thread. O's don't win when they score three or fewer runs, but they do allow other teams to beat them when those teams score three or fewer (and those games aren't always against pitchers of Sale's caliber.)

As for my other observation, I believe we've won three games in which the opponent scored first (maybe four.)

The Orioles have six losses when they've allowed three or fewer runs. And average team in the same number of games (19) allowing three or less would have lost 4-5 games. So their record is a game or two worse there than an average team.

An average team wins about 22% of the time when scoring three or less. The O's are 1-16, an average team in 17 games would be 4-13 or 3-14. The Orioles are tied for the fewest games in MLB where they've scored three or less, so that's a positive. The Brewers have lost nine more games when scoring three or less than the O's have played in those situations.

So there's some truth to your observation, but I don't know that it has any predictive value.

This is a team full of streaky hitters, when they are all hot at the same time they score a bunch and it's fun to watch. When they are all cold it can be real painful to watch and thier ab's look really bad.

When they are all cold it can be real painful to watch and thier ab's look really bad.

Really, offensively, it just boils down to this. A lot of Orioles often have really really poor at-bats.

I don't know how to quantify this, and I'm sure that there isn't currently a single metric for it.

(But) any of us who follow the O's can see (eye test) every night that we tend to rack up more 'poor' at-bats than the other team does.

You know what I'm talking about. So how could this be quantified? Some combination of swings outside the strikezone + pitches per at bat + strikeouts + balls-in-play with runner on third and less than 2 outs ...

still cannot win low scoring games, and games in which the opponent scores first. They have been getting good enough pitching to win in many of their games this month, but good pitching without run support still results in losses.

This remains a team that struggles to score runs other than via home run.

Thank goodness for the home run. I'd hate to have be manufacturing all these late comebacks.

Archived